MP-Pistol Forum banner

clip not dropping...

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  jay15892 
#1 ·
ok, just got my .45 today. has the night sights, black, and the safety for $580 with 3 clips. the finish looks really good... only one of the magazines drop free when i release it. the other two drop about a half an inch and just sit there. is this normal?

#5 ·
Wow, neither of my 45s have this problem... what is causing it, do you know?

#6 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a problem with the 45's It is a fixable one but it has been croppng up quite a bit. I fix it on any of the 45's that come into my shop.

CHECK 360 David

so what causes this?

#9 ·
Steelshooter said:
Magazine. Not clip. Please.

*sniff sniff* I smell semantics! I could call it a 'rubber hose', but that doesn't make it any less then what it already is. Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

#10 ·
jay15892 said:
ok, just got my .45 today. has the night sights, black, and the safety for $580 with 3 clips. the finish looks really good... only one of the magazines drop free when i release it. the other two drop about a half an inch and just sit there. is this normal?

could be an overreaction to mag drop problem??? S&W must be pretty confused by now...mine smooth and easy.

#12 ·
jay15892 said:
no, the clip actually drops free of the release but it hangs up about 1/2" out...

definitely it does that if you hold it sideways :?:

#13 ·
magazine not dropping, fixed

loloy said:
[quote name='jay15892']no, the clip actually drops free of the release but it hangs up about 1/2" out...

definitely it does that if you hold it sideways :?:[/quote]

who said i was holding it sideways?
anyways i fixed it. just had to pull the reversible mag release out and shave just a hairs worth of material off of it where it was just barely hitting the magazine. works great. the magazine just falls right out now. cant wait to fire it this weekend. hopefully this is the only problem i have with this gun...

#14 ·
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='Steelshooter']Magazine. Not clip. Please.

*sniff sniff* I smell semantics! I could call it a 'rubber hose', but that doesn't make it any less then what it already is. Ceci n'est pas une pipe.[/quote]

Actually, a magazine and a clip are 2 different things. SKS's and M1 Garands use clips. AR's and AK's use magazines. I forget where I actually saw a definition for each, but they are different.

EDIT:

here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_%28ammunition%29

#15 ·
yes, a clip, like it says, puts ammo into a magazine... however... due to popular useage in movies and therefore society, the words have become almost interchangeable. To me, it seems snooty to correct someone on the actual difference as your point in a post on a page looking to correct a problem, and therefore, is 100% semantics... esp since the comment is, in no way, beneficial to the topic.

definition of semantics:

1. Linguistics.

a. the study of meaning.

b. the study of linguistic development by classifying and examining changes in meaning and form.

#16 ·
Grimwulff said:
yes, a clip, like it says, puts ammo into a magazine... however... due to popular useage in movies and therefore society, the words have become almost interchangeable.

Due to popular usage in movies and therefore society (or at least certain parts thereof), the words "pistol" and "Glock" have become almost interchangeable, too. But if someone joined mp-pistol.com and kept referring to his M&P as a Glock, we'd correct him.

Clips and magazines, as has been pointed out, are different things. Let's not allow Hollywood to tell us what things should and shouldn't be called.

#18 ·
ToddG said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']yes, a clip, like it says, puts ammo into a magazine... however... due to popular useage in movies and therefore society, the words have become almost interchangeable.

Due to popular usage in movies and therefore society (or at least certain parts thereof), the words "pistol" and "Glock" have become almost interchangeable, too. But if someone joined mp-pistol.com and kept referring to his M&P as a Glock, we'd correct him.

Clips and magazines, as has been pointed out, are different things. Let's not allow Hollywood to tell us what things should and shouldn't be called.[/quote]

I'm not sure where I've seen Glock in a movie, but i've never thought of it that way o.0 However, you're refering to 2 different brands of things... which is two different things. You can go to Burger King and call it McDonalds... both businesses are in the same field, but it is still two different brands. So correcting the person would be for two different reasons...

Anyways, the two of them serve identical purpose... clip loads a magazine, magazine load a gun. Ultimately it is just the next step for the word to have evolved to be used as a "slang" word for the other. I honestly feel that if you know what the guy is talking about, why even care? The comment was unpreductive to the topic at hand and is, in a sense, just being rude.

jay15892: Maybe your magazine release was just slightly larger then normal and it kept it from dropping due to the extra metal. If it truly was just a small piece of metal, it is possible that the item was manufactured and seemed within spec, and so it was used. Make sure, though, that now that you have worked on it, your "magazine not dropping" issue doesn't turn into a "magazine drop" issue, if you know what I mean.

#20 ·
Grimwulff said:
I honestly feel that if you know what the guy is talking about, why even care? The comment was unpreductive to the topic at hand and is, in a sense, just being rude.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. If someone is going to get involved in discussions about firearms, it is in that person's interest to learn proper terminology and nomenclature. If he uses a slang term, particularly one that is generally seen as an indication of ignorance regarding firearms, then it's appropriate (IMHO) for someone to point it out.

If I came on here and kept referring to my M&P as a revolver, I'd expect someone to correct me pretty quick.

#22 ·
What is your serial number prefix? I'm wondeirng if this is an issue with early models. It is not happening with mine btw.

jay15892 said:

#23 ·
Clip v. magazine.

Slang or not, it shows a certain level of ignorance (not a derogatory term, just lack of knowledge). And to a greater extent, if the terminology is continued to be used after being brought to the user's attention, a laziness on the part of the user.

The only clips I'm aware of in relation to a S&W would be "moon clips" for a revolver. And I'm sure that's not we are talking about here.

If I were to start talking about a "mouse gun" would I be referring to:

1) A gun to hunt mice with

2) A pistol that shoots .380 or .32

3) A cartoon gun carried by a cartoon mouse

4) A 5.56 AR system rifle

#24 ·
can't believe these guys talking about handgun precision but refuse to speak that way...enemy number 3. lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and the pride of life.

i was reminded of the story about a lawyer who went through a red light got pulled over by a police officer asking license and registration, thinking he could get around his predicament told the officer he slowed down at red light but the officer emphatically explained to him that slowing down and stopping are two different things. the lawyer out of pride stubbornly insisted that they are almost the the same because slowing down is a near stop. the officer got his stick started beating the lawyer and asked the lawyer whether he slow down or stop and the lawyer understood.

the hardest part of man's nature is to concede and admit his mistakes that is why its hard to save someone with this attitude. conceding to the truth is always honorable thing to do. :wink:

#25 ·
my serial number starts with: MPUxxxx. I cant remember the numbers as i am at work. i believe the fired shell that came with it was marked Aug 07. the piece that i trimmed was plastic and it was just trimmed a little bit. i found out by looking from the top with the slide off to see what was catching it. it works great now. i did not touch the metal piece that actually holds the magazine so hopefully it will not fall out when i fire it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.