MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa brought me coal for Christmas this year. I've had my S&W M&P .40 a little under a year, since last April. I will admit to shooting a lot of rounds since I bought it (around 3,000 because I love shooting it), but I have been absolutely diligent about keeping it clean and making sure everything worked correctly. Never more than 300 rounds before a thorough cleaning. Only factory ammo (Federal, Fiocchi, Remington).

Yesterday at the range, it jammed after about 200 rounds. It took awhile and quite a bit of effort to clear it. Once it was clear, it wouldn't go back into battery. On closer investigation, the frame was cracked in two places (see pics).

Was it something I did wrong? Too many rounds? 3,000 rounds in about a year is less than one magazine per day...is that really too much? Or was this just a fluke? Was there something I didn't do that I should have done?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
That is a broken locking block.

It doesn't happen very often; that is the first one I've seen on a M&P.

I've seen several broken locking blocks in Glocks.

Call S&W. They will replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YukonGlocker said:
That is a broken locking block.

It doesn't happen very often; that is the first one I've seen on a M&P.

I've seen several broken locking blocks in Glocks.

Call S&W. They will replace it.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to this, what do you mean by "replace it"? What will they replace? The whole bottom frame, or just the locking block? The problem is that the frame is pushed out on both sides (too wide now)...that is why the slide wouldn't move, keeping the pistol from going back into battery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man, that's bad!!! Sorry to see that. Call S&W for a free shipping label, pack it up and send it back to them for repair. I'll bet you'll most likely get a new frame. Keep us posted as to the outcome....

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The slide rides on the locking block, not the frame. The frame is plastic.

When you send the pistol to S&W, they will remove the locking block.

If they see any damage to frame, they will replace that also.

But more than likely, only the locking block will need replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YukonGlocker said:
The slide rides on the locking block, not the frame. The frame is plastic.

When you send the pistol to S&W, they will remove the locking block.

If they see any damage to frame, they will replace that also.

But more than likely, only the locking block will need replaced.

Got it, thanks!

·
Registered
937 Posts
And don't send any accessories with it (mags, backstraps, etc or they might not come back. Chances are you'll get a mag or two with it when it comes back.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I never had an M&P (12k+)do that, but I had 3 XD's(10k+) that did. Interesting.

I thing no matter what you get into, that area takes a beating, 1911, Glock, XD, MP, etc.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Any chance the gun was dropped at some point??

·
Registered
186 Posts
As been said it's just a locking block not the frame...

I wish S&W used better materials for the part (LB) it does look pretty cheap :?

Another reason why I prefer 9mm to .40; it just doesn't beat up guns as much...

·
Registered
89 Posts
The locking block in my MP.45 became deformed after less than 500 rounds. Sent it in and the factory quickly replaced it and the pistol is runing fine after some 3K of hardball. I have 3 Glocks in 40 cal and have never experienced a locking block problem. :roll:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Just wanted to chime in regarding one of your questions. 3,000 rounds is definitely not a lot of rounds to put through a service weapon. Whether the damage was caused by faulty ammo, a faulty locking block, or gremlins ... it definitely should not have happened and nothing you've indicated would suggest abuse on your part.

As others have said, Smith will send for it, fix it, and return it. Lousy luck, though. Sorry, dude.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'm a lot less cranky now about this.

I'll post back with an update once I talk with S&W customer support.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Triggerman66 said:
The locking block in my MP.45 became deformed after less than 500 rounds. Sent it in and the factory quickly replaced it and the pistol is runing fine after some 3K of hardball. I have 3 Glocks in 40 cal and have never experienced a locking block problem. :roll:

while we are on that coolaid how many kabooms has the M&P had...

I'm sure somewhere there has been a locking block crack on a glock, it is a super high stress area.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This area gets hammered hard with every round. The earlier XD's had some locking block cracking problems. Springfield starting putting relief notches on locking block of current models. I have an earlier model and haven't had a problem. It doesn't appear to be a common problem on the MP's by the readers of this board, though.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Jester said:
I'm sure somewhere there has been a locking block crack on a glock, it is a super high stress area.

Six or seven years ago, I was at a police training event in Florida. There were a dozen or more classes going on at a time, and each participant would go to one or another of these classes each day.

Well, on the first day, during the first class I was in, a fellow student had the locking block on his G23 break. He'd been bragging about how superior his Glock was (I was working for and using a Beretta at the time) so it tickled me to no end. Anyway, he went and found one of the Glock factory reps (all the companies sent people to this event) who told him that they'd never seen a locking block break on a Glock before, but he just happened to have some spares with him ... and he gave the officer two spares.

But wait ... the story gets better.

On day three, in another class, another officer -- also bragging about his plastic Perfection -- had the locking block break on his G23! And he went to find the factory rep, who told him ... they'd never seen a locking block break on a Glock before!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had a locking block pin brake in a Glock #35 but did not realize it until I did a detailed cleaning due to the strength of the trigger pin which held the block in place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts