MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the specs for these carbines and I'm wondering what the love/lust affair is for the high-end, high-dollar AR. In my very limited experience, I don't see anything wrong with the M&P15's when used for a target puncher, home/self defense and even as a SHTF companion. The barrel is the only realy major difference I can see. The 1:9 twist rate won't stablize tracer rounds and the barrel steel is not the exact same grade. All the other features seem to match up pretty well.

Does the choice really boil down to personal preference/what's stylish or is there substance that needs to be considered in a purchase decision? I'd really like to know what drives the "go Colt or go home" crowd...

what say ye?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and yes, I've seen the chart on m4carbine.net. Here's a direct link:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I'm just trying to figure out what is several hundred $$$'s better. Even the chart shows they are pretty much the same makeup excpet for the barrel.

Here's one of the examples of "unclarified" Colt love. Folks say they must have Colt, but don't say why.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6629

What do the high-end rifles do, other than cost more money?

F

·
0 Posts
Non fullauto ARs

Unless it's a fullauto AR bbl. material is not a problem. The S&WM&P15T bbl. material is 4140 heat treated and is 16 inch. A chrome lined bbl. with a 1:9 twist and it works great. It's going to last upwards of 20K+ rounds IMHO. This rifle has a forged lower just as good as any other AR Simi or full Auto. The upper comes with Troy rails and their front and rear iron sights. Both items are quality 100% without question. The Bolt Carrier and Bolt are made by LM&T same high quality as the fullauto items they provide to our Military. The S&WM&P15s have been built in house since 2007. They have a great track record for quality of operation and tight groups. Many articles have been written about how good they preform.

I own one and trust it with my life.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/ph...SWMP15T.jpg.jpg

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just stick to the major players and know if you want mil.spec or not and get a chrome lined bar.

JMHO!

RRA, Stag, LMT, Colt, Bushmaster, Smithy or the ones I would stick with.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coltman1985 said:
Just stick to the major players and know if you want mil.spec or not and get a chrome lined bar.

JMHO!

Yes, IMHO, that is sound logic and one could take that approach. But, is there any info out there on what makes the high dollar AR worth the money? What does it do that the others you mention, specifically the S&W - M&P15T, don't?

F

·
0 Posts
czydj said:
[quote name='coltman1985']Just stick to the major players and know if you want mil.spec or not and get a chrome lined bar.

JMHO!

Yes, IMHO, that is sound logic and one could take that approach. But, is there any info out there on what makes the high dollar AR worth the money? What does it do that the others you mention, specifically the S&W - M&P15T, don't?[/quote]

==

I have spent the past three years looking into every AR maker I could get Info. about I have tried finding out about who makes their parts. This is not an easy task as many won't give you any Info. other then "We build tothe Mil. Spec." And that can really mean many things or nothing at all.

I have read about people spending thousands on their custom maker name brand ARs and having problem after problem failure after failure. Without the custom maker being able to solve the problems even after returning the AR many times.

Then I have read where people just bought a plain mass built low cost AR right off the rack at some sporting goods store or Gun Show and it shot tight groups and never failed even when dirty and mis-used.

If someone know the answer to the above questions I sure would like to read it.

My advice is to read what others say about their ARs Look at as many ARs as you can look at. Go where ARs are being shot and ask questions.

Then buy what you can afford.

·
Registered
375 Posts
With the 4140 barrel steel accuracy will drop off at about 200 degrees lower than a 4150 barrel will. Also throat erosion occurs at lower temps with the 4140 vs the 4150. The M4 feed ramps on the higher priced guns will keep your gun feeding reliably if you use the heavier longer bullets or if you are using a mag that might not be in spec.

F

·
0 Posts
GaryXD said:
With the 4140 barrel steel accuracy will drop off at about 200 degrees lower than a 4150 barrel will. Also throat erosion occurs at lower temps with the 4140 vs the 4150. The M4 feed ramps on the higher priced guns will keep your gun feeding reliably if you use the heavier longer bullets or if you are using a mag that might not be in spec.
===

Very good points items to think about. :wink:

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/ph...berT15b.jpg.jpg

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/ph...rrier4.jpg4.jpg

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/ph...nt=TargetAR.jpg

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Forging quality, some use cast parts, some are not mil.spec here or there, finish quality, bar., trigger parts, bolt carrier, options, warranty, reputation, Kool-Aid rights, etc. etc etc...

Visit AR15.com and you will be overwhelmed with information. Way more than what one can go into here. Truly a great resource.

F

·
0 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Forging quality, some use cast parts, some are not mil.spec here or there, finish quality, bar., trigger parts, bolt carrier, options, warranty, reputation, Kool-Aid rights, etc. etc etc...

Visit AR15.com and you will be overwhelmed with information. Way more than what one can go into here. Truly a great resource.
===

Well I find some really good advice on the AR15 Forum..But I also find a lot of worthless BS on the AR15 Forum. :wink:

The BIG thing I have noticed is how the BIG vendors are using their money to put the AR15 Forum to their best use. Not everything you read there is without a little arm twisting by the Mods. :roll: Say something negative about one of their chosen vendors and see how quickly the thread is removed. :wink:

F

·
0 Posts
czydj said:
I appreciate all the comments and the fact the answer is somewhat of a mystery... That puts a big
on my face...

[quote name='flanker']http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/ph...nt=TargetAR.jpg

I checked out those targets you shot on photobucket... Very nice shootin'! How far out was the target?[/quote]

====

Well it's nothing to brag about my indoor range limits it to only 25 yards and using both my EOTech and ACOG sights makes it just to easy to hold great groups.

Soon I will be making a trip to this outside range near me and will shoot at 200 yards.

Still no real challange for the sights I am using.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
coltman1985 said:
Want to have some real fun with an AR? Get a 9mm!!

Love mine, cheap to shoot too!

Now that sounds like fun... How's that work? Can you turn a .223 into a 9mm? I wonder how much something like that would cost?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Modified Uzi mags, Hahn blocks, gasless direct blowback bolt system, ....

I bought a complete RRA 9mm, but one can "make" it themselves. I bought the whole thing because you really need a dedicated lower and it wasn't much cheaper to buy an upper and build the lower.

One hell of a good time at the range. No recoil really at all. Makes a good home defense gun too!

F

·
0 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Modified Uzi mags, Hahn blocks, gasless direct blowback bolt system, ....

I bought a complete RRA 9mm, but one can "make" it themselves. I bought the whole thing because you really need a dedicated lower and it wasn't much cheaper to buy an upper and build the lower.

One hell of a good time at the range. No recoil really at all. Makes a good home defense gun too!
===

I guess the question is what real use is it except as a play toy. I had a 9mm handgun it was worthless for any real defence I got rid of it.

9mm in a rifle not my idea of a real useful tool.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
flanker said:
I guess the question is what real use is it except as a play toy. I had a 9mm handgun it was worthless for any real defence I got rid of it.

9mm in a rifle not my idea of a real useful tool.

Could we please not have a question about high $$$ AR's turn into a 9mm terminal ballistics argument?

Please?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts