MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M&P 9mm that I like a great deal. Except for a few minor things, I think S&W did it right this time. I think that have a fair chance of knocking Glock off its throne.

I have hands that are on the small side. I love my Glock 23, but can't get my hand around the fatter Glock 21, etc. On my M&P I thought I would like small grip backstrap better, but it turns out that I like the "Large" one better for two reasons; it gives me great purchase for my support hand palm, and it places my trigger finger in exactly the right spot on the trigger while moving my knuckle joint away from the rather sharp corner at the bottom of the trigger guard. So if you just assumed you would like the smaller back staps, give the large one try. You might be suprised.

Also, although I was not disappoint in the accuracy of the M&P, it has significantly improved after I passed the 500 round mark. I had a Sig 229 that did the same thing years ago, but most pistols I have owned (a buttload) shot no better after a break in than when they were fresh out of the box.

Somewhere on this forum were questions and comments about the DPM recoil reducer. I purchased the guiderod and spring part for my Glock 23, but not magnet part. IMHO it does reduce recoil somewhat. I would say about 10% for off the shelf target type loads and maybe 15% for hotter defensive loads. I had access to another Glock 23 with a factory (and almost new) recoil guiderod/spring and was able to compare both side by side. I don't know that foot pound wise the recoil was less, but it did feel less sharp. The one problem I was worried about did not happen, and that was failure to lock the slide back on the last round. I had tried similar products in the past and about half the time the slide would not lock back after the last round. I ran 50 rounds through the Glock (3 rounds per magazine at a time) and it locked back every time. Although it did seem to reduce recoil a slight amount in a 40 caliber Glock, I think perhaps the reduction might not be as noticable in a 9x19 gun. Will I buy one for my M&P - aaaaaahhhh, maybe. If I can get one a little cheaper through Brownels, then an ah maybe so. I think it might show a greater benefit in the upcoming 45ACP M&P. If you are a gaget and tamper freak like me, you might not be able to resist. It does have a funky/ugly front end looking out of the guide rod hole however, if thats a concern for you.

Questions.

Does S&W, or anyone else for that matter, offer different height front or rear sights? No matter which ammuntion I try, everything hits about 2-3 inches high at 15 yards.

I am assuming that any of the 40S&W/357Sig slides and magazines will fit my 9x19 frame. Does any one know if this is true and if they will be available from S&W. I think I would like to have 5" slide in 40 or 357 Sig, unless the cost is so high a new pistol would only a be $100 more.

Will the thumb saftety retrofit the other M&Ps? If so and the parts are reasonable, I would like to try it out to see if I like it. I would prefer to have a manual thumb safety and if it fits and operates as comfortably as a 1911, I would probably use it.

I tried out some older Hiertenberg(er) (sp) ammuniton in my 9x19 M&P today at the range. At 15 yards, 20 rounds left one ragged whole about the size of a silver dollar. This stuff has always been super accurate, but my M&P really seemed to like it. It is a +P 100-grain soft point that is supposed to be moving out at 1500fps. It has never chrongraphed that fast. Most I ever got was about 1450 from a Hi-Power. Problem is I can't seem to find this stuff anywhere now and my supply is getting low. If anyone knows of a source, I would greatly appreciate it. In fact if you find a reasonable priced source I will buy several cases and send you a couple of boxes as a finders fee. I originally purchased it through Shotgun News as surplus at a very low price. I think it was like $65 for a case of 1000, plus shipping. After trying a hundred rounds or so, I bought as much as I could affort at the time - about 5 cases. Down to about 250 rounds now. I love this low recoil accurate stuff and want more. A web search did not turn up anything, but then again I am no search expert

TEX

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts