·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comp-Tac belt holster - $63

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...;products_id=66

Kytac Sooper Hooper - $64.50

http://www.kytac.com/page2.html

These are two very great belt holsters. They are very similar with only subtle differences.

The Comp-tac uses the indent at the front of the trigger guard to provide the click-in, click-out. The indent on the Kytac is very subtle and is across the entire trigger guard area.

The Kytac seems to have a slightly tighter fit throughout, not that I found the Comp-tac holster-to-pistol fit to sloppy in any way at all. Both feature double retention screws - the Comp-tac requiring a small allen key while the Kytac can be adjusted with a phillips head screwdriver.

Both holsters were made for a 1.5" belt, but I found the Kytac belt track to be slightly tighter. It was such a tight fit that it could be problematic for some belts. Both holsters had plently of room for even the thickest belts. The Comp-tac loop is wider on the belt and you would think this would make it more stable than the Kytac but there was not a notable difference.

The Kytac rides further away from the body than the Comp-tac. Depending on a person's needs either could be preferable.

I have always been a Comp-Tac fan but I was very impressed with the Kytac holster. They are so close, I wouldn't give one the edge over the other, but others might put greater value in some the subtle differences. If you're looking for a high end kydex OWB belt holster, both the Kytac and Comp-Tac belt holsters are major players.

Thanks to YukonGlocker for lending me his Kytac holster.

ETA: Although Kytac makes a great product, they have really dropped the ball when it comes to order fulfillment. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thanks for the information. Your input is always valued. I have Kytacs on order for the M&P45 and my full sized 1911 and I'm getting excited. Like Yukon I chose to go with the closed bottom version. Hopefully they will be done in a few more weeks. I always figure that a popular new custom holster maker is going to need at least 50% longer thank they think that they will need, and to me it's worth the wait for this level of quality. That puts them here by Thanksgiving.

As soon as the dimensions firm up for the 45c I plan on ordering a Braveheart.

BTW: I grabbed one of his mag pouches off fleabay for my Taurus 99 and found the build quality and attention to detail impressive.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sholling said:
Thanks for the information. Your input is always valued. I have Kytacs on order for the M&P45 and my full sized 1911 and I'm getting excited. Like Yukon I chose to go with the closed bottom version. Hopefully they will be done in a few more weeks. I always figure that a popular new custom holster maker is going to need at least 50% longer thank they think that they will need, and to me it's worth the wait for this level of quality. That puts them here by Thanksgiving.
How many weeks did they quote you?

BTW: I grabbed one of his mag pouches off fleabay for my Taurus 99 and found the build quality and attention to detail impressive.
Yes, I've also compared Kytac's mag pouches against several other makers and for me, they were a very close second place to Ready Tactical. The Ready Tactical pouches are a completely different design, but comparing the Kytac to similar designs such as the Comp-Tac, I preferred the Kytac.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Excellent review Chooch.

I had the pleasure to try out Chooch's Comptac. They are both great holsters.

Chooch pointed out all of the differences that I also observed.

Even though the differences are minor, I still prefer the Kytac.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
choochboost said:
How many weeks did they quote you?
4 to 5 weeks, but I've been around long enough to translate that in my head to 6-7. :wink:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I wonder if the Kytac is legal for IDPA because of it's distance from the body.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Kytac advertises that their holsters come in your choice of IDPA legal and not so legal but the only difference I'm aware of is how low it's cut below the ejection port.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
sholling said:
Kytac advertises that their holsters come in your choice of IDPA legal and not so legal but the only difference I'm aware of is how low it's cut below the ejection port.

Please post when you get it.

Particularly re concealability.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Chooch, you forgot a very important part of the review; draw times.

Once the kytac gives up the gun, its lightning smooth.

The kytac also doesnt just index on the trigger guard, it actually contacts the gun in numerous places on the firearm.

The kytac superhooper can be had IDPA legal , and the only difference in the curent models is the distance from the body; ie you cant see light through the belt loop.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sholling said:
[quote name='choochboost']How many weeks did they quote you?
4 to 5 weeks, but I've been around long enough to translate that in my head to 6-7. :wink:[/quote]

Comp-Tac will deliver in about a week. This may make a difference when you need your holster NOW.

olyeller said:

Once the kytac gives up the gun, its lightning smooth.
I didn't time it but I found the draw with both holsters to be virtually identical.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
olyeller said:

Once the kytac gives up the gun, its lightning smooth...

I didn't time the draws either; but the draw from both holsters were identical for me also.

With both holsters, once the pistol unlocks from the holster it's "lightning smooth" out of the holster. :wink:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Thanks for the review great pics and follow-ups

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Good information. Beat me to the Comp-Tac review but I may do one comparing it to Blade-tech. Kytac's web site needs some work. It would be to their benefit to have something more professional. Anyway I really like the Comp-Tac. Previous to this my only kydex holsters were Sidearmor and Blade-tech. I have a Blade-Tech on the way for my .45. Right now my Comp-Tac is my carry holster. If fits close and high enough plus I'm pretty big so it does the job well. Nice quick draw, very well made. I plan to use it for gun games as well once I get used to it. I love using my carry holster and pistol for gun games. Really makes you proficient, confident, and maps muscle memory with your main carry pistol.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had ordered the Comp-tac paddle holster on Chooch's recommendation.When I ordered it they said they could make it so it will tuck into the body more.I was looking for a paddle that would be nice and tight.So hopefully I'll see it by the weekend.I already have a ctac and mtac and love them both.I was looking mainly for a paddle for use during the winter months under a heavier jacket while driving to and from work...seems like a bit of a pain in the butt to try to put in the ctac or mtac while sitting in the car...so hopefully this will be the ticket and I'll have a holster for about every occation...thanks guys!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well I received my Comptac paddle yesterday...I ordered it Tues and received it Friday.Great service and awesome holster..Fits nice and tight to the body.The best OWB I have tried yet!!

I couldn't be any more happier with Comptac's products...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sounds good PENS-66! Choochboost has also let me try one of his Comp-tac OWB holsters. I also like it much more than I thought I might. I would like it to fit a bit tighter to the body also, and it sounds like it can be made that way also. I think I need one. Comp-tac does an awesome job with Kydex!!

Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts