MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a CCW/IDPA holster and think I’ve narrowed it down to the Comp-Tac MTAC. Does anyone know if the MTAC is IDPA legal? And does anyone use one for CCW carry, if so how do you like it? I’m a bigger guy 6’2” 240lbs would that holster work well for a guy my size?

Thanks,

Kennedy

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have an M-TAC I use for CCW when my mode of dress dictates it but I would think it is a not-so-good choice for IDPA because the reholstering is a little bit of a pain. I find it necessay to pull the grip toward the body when in the reholstering process. This is due to the way the holster is designed to work. The softness of the leather and the body pressure against it, is what holds the gun in place. I think it would be more of a problem for you due to our size difference. You have a couple on inches and about 65lbs on me.

You didn't say what gun you are going to use it for but I carry a .45 and it does conceal very well. It is about as comfortable as any IWB I have used.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i know nothing about IDPA...

but i use the M-tac for CCW, and it is excellent

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here is a little clue. If the holster is a very good concealment holster it will indeed be IDPA legal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been told that the M-TAC is IDPA legal, but I would like to see someone else confirm that also.

I am 5'11" 215 and I have 2 MTAC backs and 3 kydex bodies for it. I carry M&P 40, M&P 45, Glock 21SF, Glock 22, and Glock 27 in my MTAC and I can conceal without a problem. I also have a C-TAC, but I find the M-TAC is more comfortable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I will e-mail the IDPA and ask if that holster is legal before I buy one. By the way this holster is for my M&P 9mm.

Thanks again,

Kennedy

·
Registered
495 Posts
hollywood_72 said:
Thanks for the info. I will e-mail the IDPA and ask if that holster is legal before I buy one. By the way this holster is for my M&P 9mm.

Thanks again,

Kennedy

If you have read the IDPA holster guidelines, how would an IWB holster be illegal?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the MTAC Minotaur IWB for my M&Ps. I went with the "slide" version and it works great with both the full-size and compact guns (haven't tried it with a M&P45 yet). The MTAC is very comfortable to wear and after awhile you almost forget you have it on. I would also recommend this holster to anyone who is carrying a little extra weight around the midsection. The leather backing on the holster does wonders to pad the gun and keep the sharp edges off your skin.

My only complaints are sometimes it's a little difficult to reholster one handed and the retention off the belt is loose (dropped my M&P9C on the bed one night while removing the holster).

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
DerMann said:
and the retention off the belt is loose (dropped my M&P9C on the bed one night while removing the holster).
Can't you tighten it up?

·
Registered
167 Posts
As a general rule, all IWB rigs are IDPA legal and although I haven't tride the MTAC, you definitely want a rig that you can easily reholster - whether it be for IDPA or other. The best carry rigs may not be the best IDPA choice from a competitive standpoint. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs and use Comp-Tac's Belt Slide for my M&P9 in IDPA ('cause it's UBER-Fast) and just got the Infidel (also relatively fast) for CCW of my M&P. Granted, the sport is designed around using your practical, everyday gear but then again, you wouldn't shoot 150 rounds of +P ammo out of an aluminum framed 3" gun in one morning unless you're trying to prove a point. I have steered away from holsters (both competition and carry rigs) that collapse when you draw thus requiring extra effort to reholster. Also, if you have to cinch your belt so tight to keep your pants up w/ the weight of the gun that it collapses a holster when you remove the gun, then you may want to reconsider your carry method/rig (OWB, for example). Similarly, if the gun falls out of the rig at any point with little to no effort, that's a BAD thing too. The Infidel for an all-kydex rig, is quite comfortable, retains the gun when it's not on your person and there is no issue reholstering one handed. I went w/ the Infidel because of the ability to take it on and off one-handed in the vehicle in the event I go someplace I can't carry. Additionally, the Infidel has no "wings" or flaps that take up more space (like when trying to put the holster and gun into the glove box or seat pocket of the vehicle). I also have a C-TAC slide for my 1911 and love it but wanted a slimmer option for dresser drawers and car compartments so I went w/ the Infidel. The C-TAC rig replaced my Galco Royal Guard (which is leather and has the band in the mouth to prevent it from collapsing.) Either way, you can't go wrong w/ any of the Comp-Tac products.

jm2c to help a fellow shooter make an informed decision before a purchase.

-B

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can tighten the tension screws, but because of the way the holster is made (leather back, kydex front), the small "dimple" in the kydex over the trigger guard doesn't provide a whole lot of security when the leather molds itself to the backside of your gun. I've heard some people talk about making their "dimple" deeper, but I haven't tried this.

MTAC could easily fix this flaw by altering the kydex "1/2 body" to a "3/4" body by adding a wrap around collar at the throat of the holster. This would help with one handed reholstering and improve retention.

Overall, still the most comfortable IWB I've ever worn, I just make sure to remove my gun before taking off.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
DerMann said:
You can tighten the tension screws, but because of the way the holster is made (leather back, kydex front), the small "dimple" in the kydex over the trigger guard doesn't provide a whole lot of security when the leather molds itself to the backside of your gun.
I don't think that this is intended to be the primary means of retention with the MTAC. I would tighten it up against the leather back. The pistol is not supposed to drop out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts