MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I sold the Beretta 84 and got the Compact 9 in its place. I am very pleased so far with my decision.

I really loved the Beretta's for their design and quality, and have always been leery of the polymer frame guns. But the .380 ammo was costing an arm and a leg at the range so I knew I wanted to switch to a 9. I started thinking more about the polymers and was really waiting for Beretta to release the Compact PX4 into the wild. As they took their time I started looking around.

At first the M&P line did not appeal to me at all, the Glocks were so hideous aesthetically, and the HK's were priced way beyond belief. But when the M&P compact came out and I was able to handle one in the store it just seemed right. I held the FS M&P, and then held the FS PX4 in my other hand, and the S&W just seemed like a much better gun all the way around. Feel, weight, texture, look, price...you name it.

So I have put 200 through it so far, and I am really having fun shooting this little mama. I am far more accurate with this than with the Beretta. I am still working on getting some consistency with the S&W, but it seems more user error than anything. The trigger could use some work but it has some great features.

I like being able to slam a mag, and have the slide release on its own. I like also having a slide release that I can actually get to with my thumb (with the small handstrap). I'm not crazy about the disassembly though. It seems odd to me to have to whip out a tool from the bottom of the gun to field strip it. I wish they would have made it to where you could disengage that lever with a finger or put it on the external frame. Oh well.

So onto the questions:

1. Do they/Will they make a .22 conversion kit for these for some fun and cheap plinking?

2. I think it would work but haven't tried it yet - could you have one in the chamber and not have it cocked? I imagine if you take your loaded mag and put it to the side - take a single bullet and drop it down the empty magwell with the slug facing towards the barrel - and then tilt the gun so the bullet would slide into the chamber - then load the mag - then just by moving the slide a 1/2'' back it would cock the gun when you wanted it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
As far as the disassembly goes, you don't have to use the tool. You can use your finger, ink pen, pocket knife, or whatever you have that will reach the sear disconnect. I rarely take my tool out.

1. I'm sure somebody will make a .22 conversion. I don't know who or when this will happen.

2. You do not want to load a single round as you explained above. The case rim is to be loaded under the extractor, from the magazine. When you just drop a round in the chamber, and then drop the slide, the extractor has to pop over the case rim. This can wear out or break the extractor.

If you don't want the gun "cocked", then don't load a round into the chamber. Just load the mag and put it into the gun with the slide closed. When you are ready to chamber a round, just cycle the slide and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
270 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
As far as the disassembly goes, you don't have to use the tool. You can use your finger, ink pen, pocket knife, or whatever you have that will reach the sear disconnect. I rarely take my tool out.

Quick question Yukon, when I disassemble my compact I pull the trigger and the slide comes right off...Is this hurting the gun by doing this? I used to do the same when disassembling the Glock I've had in the past...let me know,,,thanks

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
With the Glock you are supposed to pull the trigger first, then take the slide off. The trigger mechanism of the the M&P is different. I have taken my M&P apart without dropping the sear disconnect. You let the slide down until it stops, then pull the trigger, then the slide comes off.

Honestly, I don't know if this damages anything. If anything, it is hard on the striker. When I do this to my M&P is sounds like the striker is hitting harder than with a nomal dry fire. And with the reports of broken strikers, I would rather not take a chance with it. It only takes a second to push down the sear disconnect; so that is what I will do until I know more information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YukonGlocker said:
When you just drop a round in the chamber, and then drop the slide, the extractor has to pop over the case rim. This can wear out or break the extractor.

The method I had envisioned already had the slide closed; hence the need to drop the bullet down the mag well. I would think this would be a good home defense scenario as I could have one chambered but not cocked, rack the slide less the 1/2" to cock it and then fire away. I dont wan't to have to rack the slide fully, then release the slide if someone is in my home. If I can just do this partial slide rack, I can effectively keep the element of surprise by not making a ton of noise. But are you saying that this won't work as well because of the extractor?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The wife is your problem :) but the child is another issue. You should have a four finger push button safe at you bedside. These cost about $ 125 and doesn't require light to operate it, just memory. If I had a child of any young age in my home I would never take a chance with any loaded firearm around unless it was on me or in a safe...period. Be safe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a real nice 4 button electronic safe at 'Academy' for $49.00

It has a key override in case you forget the combination

It has 9 volt battery contacts on the side in case your AAs run out (still have to use the combination)

It locks out for a long period after 3 unsuccessful attempts at the combination.

This keeps my grandchildren away from my M7P with a full load of 18 rounds (one in the pipe).

I found the same one at the following web page but, it's $59.00

http://www.exploreproducts.com/adgsports-s...nsafe-33013.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
roadrat52 said:
I bought a real nice 4 button electronic safe at 'Academy' for $49.00

I have that same safe next to my bed. I didn't like the fact that it beeps when you hit a button so I opened it up and cut the speaker leads. After that I love it. I have no qualms about leaving my loaded sidearm in it even with 2 kids in the house.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't know why you'd want a round in the chamber without the gun being cocked. But here's how you'd do it (I think):

1. Remove the magazine.

2. Lock the slide back.

3. Lower the sear disconnect lever (that thing you don't like).

4. Put a bullet in the chamber.

5. Release the slide.

6. There will now be a bullet in the chamber and the gun shouldn't be cocked because the sear is still disconnected.

7. Insert a magazine, thus connecting the sear and allowing the gun to cock when the slide is moved rearward a small amount.

Let me know if it works. I'll never try it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Bobbthompson, you do not want to load a single round as you explained above. The case rim is to be loaded under the extractor, from the magazine. When you just drop a round in the chamber, and then drop the slide, the extractor has to pop over the case rim. This can wear out or break the extractor.

·
Registered
406 Posts
YukonGlocker, I completely agree with you. For the exact reason you have stated. A damaged extractor is the most common reason for FTE, double stacks, stovepips, etc. And if you look at the last line of my previous post I say, "I'll never try it." But the guy asked the question, and I am a firm believer that any information (with adults) is never good or bad, it's just information. He has a gun, a wife, and a kid; so I'm assuming he is an adult. If he wants a bullet in an uncocked gun more than he wants a reliable handgun, then that's his prerogative. I don't even know if it would work because I'll never try it (I don't see the point). I just stated this is how I thought it could be done.

I recommend he get a Milt Sparks VM2 holster so the gun is always within his reach, and his kid doesn't have access. As for bedtime, get a GunVault and bolt it to a large piece of furniture or to the wall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts