MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal - upcoming gun purchase, have mostly decided on the M&P 9mm. (Due to quality, made in USA, price)

Current guns are a couple of small .25 auto pocket pistols (a Beretta and a Colt), a 20ga shotgun, and a .22 rifle.

I have a concealed carry permit, although my gun usually stays at home or in the glove box. I don't recall ever "carrying" my gun on my person, other than when going to the ATM late at night. That's not to say I'll never need to carry it...

No specific purpose for the new gun (the M&P), but some general goals are:

- Home defense

- Target shooting

- Maybe carry in my truck

- Just in case for when the economy, politics, and/or terrorism leads to fighting in the streets of the US. (let's not discuss this here, but just accept that this is one of my concerns)

I went to the gun store and handled the 9 and the 9c, but did not have a chance to shoot them. They both felt fine in the hand and I really could not tell much of a difference in their weight. I realize the full size has better accuracy (how much?) and the 9c is better for concealment.

But which one do you recommend, or should I be looking at another type of gun?

THanks!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I own both, both are way accurate than me.

I have two votes for the FS. (1) 17 rds. (2) 17 rds.

If there is any chance you will carrry in the future, then my choice would be the compact.

Two great pistols, and THE BEST C.S.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

Opps! Welcome!

·
Registered
65 Posts
No specific purpose for the new gun (the M&P), but some general goals are:

- Home defense

- Target shooting

- Maybe carry in my truck

- Just in case for when the economy, politics, and/or terrorism leads to fighting in the streets of the US. (let's not discuss this here, but just accept that this is one of my concerns)

Given these four uses that you listed, I'd go for the full sized. In the home, it doesn't really matter how large it is. it will be on the night stand somewhere. The same goes for the car. Target shooting is always easier with a full sized weapon than with a compact due to the greater weight, longer sight radius and more grip to hold on to. (I'll qualify the previous statement by saying that it depends on the size of your hands. If you have small hands then it might be easier to hold the compact.) For the just in case, I'd rather have as many rounds in the magazines as I can. Wouldn't you?

Now, if you were to decide to CCW everywhere, then there might be a reason to choose the compact as the smaller firearm might be a bit easier to conceal. But, many people carry the full sized every day successfully by dressing around the pistol.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'd third the full size for you in your situation. I have both and tend to favor the compact for carry and even basic range use but for matches I almost always shoot the full size. I've carried the full size a few times and can tell you the but of the gun is all over the seat back no matter how I adjust my huge assortment of holsters that I keep buying to find the perfect one.

One more plus for the full size now is that IF the dems manage to re-enact some pathetic, good for nothing weapons ban, chances are the full size 9mm may become limited to 10 rounds. If you buy now you can get your 17 round gun up and running. If you then later decide to buy a compact after a ban goes in place you'll only be loosing two rounds.

Jason

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There's no reason to buy a smaller gun unless you need to conceal it. So, it sounds like the full size M&P is the only smart option for you.

Having said that, if you think you may wish to conceal it at some point in the future, I'd recommend the compact. While there may be some fun-time advantages to the full size in terms of more bullets, etc., the reality is that you'll probably shoot both guns equally well. So it may be better to have a gun that you can always use instead of one that was perfect right up until you need to carry concealed.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you are going to CC, your method of concealment can also determine which pistol you choose. Although the 9c should always conceal "better" due to the shorter grip, I don't have any issues concealing my FS 9 in a CTAC between 2:30 and 3:00 on my right hip. My everyday dress is cargo shorts, a t-shirt and a XXLT golf shirt at 6'2" 225lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the full size because I don't like my little finger without support. The compact is just too small for my comfort.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have a MP 9c and a F.S. 40 and a MP 9 Pro. My MP 9c is suprisingly accurate. But since you are not going to use it as a ccw, I would go with the Pro. Great range gun and could double as a home defense and car weapon. My Pro makes even me look good at the range! Very accurate and a very good factory trigger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a full size 45 and a compact 9. They're very fine handguns and I like 'em both a lot. I've carried the 9c a number of times and it's a very handy size and easy to shoot well. And I love the fact that even as small as it is, it holds 12+1 rounds.

My suggestion would be to go to your dealer, handle both, change the backstraps around and find out which one best fits your hand. A pistol that doesn't feel right isn't going to be one you'll enjoy owning.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have both, I like both. That said, if I could only have one, I'd choose the 9c. It's easier to conceal carry should you decide to do so, and it accepts full sized M&P magazines if capacity's an issue. MHO you understand.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've owned just about every variation of the M&P semi-auto family of pistols. Having said that, if I were told that I could only have one, and that it had to serve all my needs for the rest of my life, I would easily choose the M&P M2.0 4" Compact. It is truly a do-it-all pistol, and I shoot it every bit as well as any other M&P that I own.

My Favorite M&P:

Short list of some of my other M&Ps:

Reactions: rugmankc

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've owned just about every variation of the M&P semi-auto family of pistols. Having said that, if I were told that I could only have one, and that it had to serve all my needs for the rest of my life, I would easily choose the M&P M2.0 4" Compact. It is truly a do-it-all pistol, and I shoot it every bit as well as any other M&P that I own.

My Favorite M&P:

Short list of some of my other M&Ps:
Just picked-up one (9mm 2.0 Compact) recently. Needed something for the house that was easier to use for my wife and daughter than my .357 revolver. Didn't want anything too small, and the 9mm Compact is just right.

My EDC is a .45 2.0 Compact. The balance of the Compact is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I carry the M&P 9C with a 15 round mag in the pistol, and two 17 round mags in a mag pouch. The Compact comes with spacers so that 17 round mags can also be used with no problem. I own a bunch of both full size M&P's, Shields, and a couple of M&P compacts. I also own a bunch of Sigs , Glocks etc. If I had to choose just 1, it would be the M&P 9C.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does not matter which one if you leave them in the glove box of your truck.
Someone else is going to end up with it when they steal it out of your truck.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I also own the M&P 2.0 9mm 4 inch. Beautiful and also shoots great for me. I can easily break it down and reassemble, even with my bad arthritis. Obviously not as easy as my EZ9. But, not much harder.

Love it---

·
Registered
169 Posts
I own both, 4" and FS, both in 40 S&W. My 40 C is the only compact I own. I own 4 FS 1.0 M&P 40'S, all LE trade ins. The one in the pic below is my favorite. I EDC it with an SP101 .357.
OP, I would choose the FS.
M&P1.jpeg

·
Registered
169 Posts
ADMIN, can you please delete one of the pics in my reply. Every time I post a pic it always makes a duplicate pic. Why is that?

·
Registered
365 Posts
ADMIN, can you please delete one of the pics in my reply. Every time I post a pic it always makes a duplicate pic. Why is that?
You can do it.

Just click on the 3 vertical dots at the top right of your post to get "EDIT", click on it, then go back into the dialog box and delete it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts