MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting my M&P in IDPA for some time and enjoy it very much. I am reasonably accurate and have all the requisite gear. As I compete more and more and travel longer distances to do so, I am thinking a back up gun would be appropriate in case the M&P goes down in competition and I cannot fix it. As I understand it, I need a gun that has the same action should I need to swap it out in the middle of a match. I have an H&K USP Expert and a custom CZ SP-01. The CZ won't make IDPA weight so that leaves the H&K.

The H&K is a SA/DA, which is not the same as DAO as the M&P is technically classified, just like a Glock. So if I understand this dilemma accurately I am left getting another M&P or a Glock. I am tempted to get an M&P, but I also think that a Glock 17 or 34 would be an interesting alternative. Gear is readily available for both and mags are cheap in comparison.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Your are correct that a DA/SA action is not the same as the M&P (whatever you label it). I'd personally get another M&P. Short version:Customer Service from S&W is outstanding. Glock never met a problem they didn't try to blame on the customer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My two cents would be to get another MP, not only because it is all I own; but more importantly if you did have to switch out in the middle of a stage/competition you are already distracted by a failure of your primary gun, why add more complication into the mix by changing the gun. We can argue all day about Glocks vs MP's but the truth is they are two different guns with different grips, sights triggers, etc. and would therefore involve slightly different technique. If you are comfortable shooting your MP, then chances are you would be pretty comfortable shooting another MP.

Long answer for a short problem, hope it helps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, it has to be the exact same type of firearm. For example, if you are shooting an M&P 9 and it fails, you have to finish with an M&P 9 or you simply get a DNF on the remaining stages. That's the rules as they are enforced at my various clubs that I shoot at.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Has to be the same make and calibre, not the same model. If you are shooting a Glock 17 9mm and it fails you could use another GLock 9mm as long as it conforms to all of the other rules.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that would rule out a Glock then. Perhaps the solution is to wait for the long slide version of the 9mm. That would probably be a better competition gun anyhow and would alleviate my issue of owning identical guns. The other option would be to get a compact model, which although not a great competition model, does offer more concealment potential in everyday life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As my username suggests, I own Glocks, several of them. However, if you need a secondary pistol as a backup, it would be best to have one exactly as your primary. As others have pointed out IDPA requires it, but you also would save yourself from having to buy, then swith gear!

Your mags and holster would all be the same for the other M&P.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts