MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a comparison on how concealable/comfortable it is to carry a M&Pc around all day compared to something like a one of the smaller carry model 1911's from Kimber or Para Ordnance? Does the difference in thickness really make that much difference (or is there that much of a difference in thickness)?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
M&P is much lighter and easier to hide in my opinion. Makes it much easier to carry and conceal. I am a "big" guy so I can carry a fullsize 1911 if I want to!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
With the right holster a full size 1911 is easy to carry and conceal. It is pretty thin. I couldn't carry a M&Pc because its way too small for my hands. A full size M&P .40 is a perfect carry size for me. I have to use the large grip insert on the .40 and medium on the .45

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Generally the ability to conceal a particular pistol well, or not, has everything to do with the length of the grip. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Right. But I would rather give up some comfort and concealability for a grip that I can get my hand around. If the compact series pistols fit your hand your in luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And it all depends on what you are comfortable with. The smaller 1911's from (well just about everyone now days), is of course heavier, and holds less rounds in most cases. As was said earlier in this post, a 1911 with the proper gear can be concealed quite nicely.....there is one thing that is to be considered here though, body size overall, and what you choose to wear during the hot months.

If you are going to invest the bucks in a carry 1911, look around before buying a Kimber....nothing against Kimber, but you can find allot on the marked for the compact 1911's. Colt Defender is one, that I prefer, but that is just preference.

All in all you will have to try both out during every season to see what will be comfortable as far as weight, comfort, and ability to draw, change mags, and shoot again...very important to draw, change mags, and shoot again...remember you are going to add at least one mag case to your belt (or your should), and .45 rounds can get heavy when added to the weight of even a compact 1911 .45 ACP.

My .02

·
Registered
367 Posts
:zips up asbestos jacket:

I carried a M&P9c IWB for several months. I now carry a 1911 OWB (I have a 3"/officer, a 4.25" bbl w/ officer frame and 2 full sizes). The 1911's are a lot easier for me to hide (even the stainless full size). The length of the grip is very important since I carry at 3:00 but for me the width of the grip was the biggest factor in my decision. Also, the 1911's have a manual safety that makes me feel better. I shoot the 1911's a million times better as well. I carry a 10 round reload so if 18 45's can't stop the threat I should be running instead of shooting anyway.

If you look up the thickness it says the M&P is thinner than a single stack 1911. I don't think it is in reality though. I can carry my commander/officer config (CCO) much more comfortably and hide it a lot easier than I could my M&P. YMMV. A good holster can do as much for the 1911 as any other gun. I had to try about 4 different ones before I found the one I like.

I'm 5'11" 185 lbs if that helps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most of the time they list the thickness of the weapon they measure at its widest point which is usually a safety lever or slide stop. This is useless as a representation of how the weapon will carry. If I hold my M&P next to my Hipower the slide on the M&P is much thicker. I believe the HP has a slide pretty close in width to the 1911. I wish manufacturers would list SLIDE thickness. Thats a more useful number in my book.

Most new 9mm guns built today are overbuilt so they can also be made in .40 without completely different machining. I'm sure if the M&P would have been built solely as a 9mm they could have made is slimmer. Too bad, it would have been the perfect CCW if they had. As it is, its only 99% perfect!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts