MP-Pistol Forum banner

Can you truly conceal your full size M&P?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between the full size and the compact. I love shooting and the feel of the full size, but my only concern is that it might be a little too big to conceal well. I have a permit, but have never carried before...so most of it is ignorance, but at the same time I don't want to drop $500 on a full size M&P that I just plain can't carry concealed. Please help me out.

Can you post some pictures of you carrying your gun? What kind of holsters seem to work the best? What holster manufacturors work well?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Think in terms of what you can shoot first then what you can conceal. Many folks don't truely under real time draw and shoot speed handle a small gun near as well as they do one they can get a real grip on. If you can shoot both well then no problem but you want a real gun for a real gun fight and all gun fights are very real. I always pick a gun on worst case thoughts. My wife or child being grabbed by a thug and me needing a 10 yard head shot fairly quick and very accuratly. I want a gun I shoot very well. Then change your dress habits to hide the real gun. It's a life style choice to go armed. A good inside the waist band holster will conceal alot of gun. I hope this helps and understand I carried a gun concealed for 15 years before I was a cop. Every day to a job that would have fired me it they knew. I carried a full size gun every day. My first was a S&W 645 and i am only 5'08''. Good luck and stay safe CHECK 360 David.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have used a Full size in a Comptac Infidel and it conceals VERY well. I was actually surprised how well it has carried and if I didn't have a compact arriving soon, I would have just ordered another Full Size and had the beavertail removed. I have carried it under light shirts and have minimal printing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I carry my full size in a comp-tac c-tac and have no problems, even in hot weather with a light shirt. Holster placement is important. I have had no problems.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
srva said:
I carry my full size in a comp-tac c-tac and have no problems, even in hot weather with a light shirt. Holster placement is important. I have had no problems.

+1 I carry, and my wife never knows unless she gives the hunny hug.

My dad tries to figure out when I'm carrying and not, and almost never gets it right even with my Blade TECH OWB, With the CTAC he can't tell at all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can't carry concealed out in the world, but I can at work, and I have no problems hiding mine under a light jacket. Mine usually rides in a High Noon "snapper" but right now one of the snaps has given up on me, so I'm using a Blackhawk SERPA until I can get the High Noon snap fixed.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
MP Compact should work either way.....

Speaking for myself, carrying just about anything is fairly easy in the cooler winter months. My MP40 disappears pretty well in my Crossbreed, IWB Holster.

In the hot summer it's a different story. Since I'm prone to wearing shorts & T shirt in the hot summer months, I find myself leaving my gun in the locked car quite often. The best summer carry holster I've found is the Kangaroo Holster with a smaller pistol. You have to wear a blousy shirt to hide a gun in a Kangaroo though. I'll be buying the MP Compact soon as another carry weapon. It should work in both the IWB Crossbreed and the Kangaroo Holsters. I'm also considering a Kel-Tec PF9 or a S & W light weight snubbie.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi...I need to find a IWB holster for my M&P compact...was looking at the Desantis Tuck-This for the full size m&p...I would imagine it should still fit....any help on this please let me know...Right now I'm just shoving it into my pants to carry it...thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I figured the more threads I have it in the more people would see it and get back some good input...Also thanks for your help also!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thanks for all the replies!!! I am waiting to see if my local range gets in the compact to try out before making any "rash" decisions. So I guess I will have to keep everyone posted on what I end up with. I think with the full size I would have to wear OWB to be comfortable, but with the compact I might be able to get away with an IWB for easier concealability... but I am sure I will get a good OWB for comfort as well.

Please continue to post more comments, the more the marrier.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Waiting on my new MP 40, and need holster assistance. I'm a newbie gun guy and only need something that will clip to the outside of my waistband. I continue to find alot of choices but I am not certian if it's the right unit. I found the holster on SW site for the MP40, should I just go that way and be done with it?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Look on the Kramer website, and pick a holster to your liking. I called Will at Kramer on Tues and will have my holster and magpouch in 2 weeks. I have been using a Kramer horsehide rig for my G19 for over 10 years, and it is atill as functional as the day I got it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like TxPhantom, The summer months in Texas leave you less options in terms of concealibility, I had been carrying a Kahr PM9 during the summer, a gun that just melts away in anything you wear, I recently purchased the M&P compact to replace it, however, the M&P is not as comfortable (I carry IWB appendix) but it is more concealable than my full size M&p40 in the same position.

IMHO it is important to weight both what you can shoot well with what you will carry most. I love 1911s and shoot them very well but I carry a M&P because it holds up in the summer (small/concealable so I actually carry it), rugged (because sweating can sometimes lead to rusting if one is not paying attention), relatively comfortable to carry, again so I actually carry it (it is not, however, as svelt a carry as the 1911 compacts or the Pm) and capacity (it holds many more rounds than either the 1911 or pm9, especially with an extra mag in a nearby pocket.) Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With 42 replies that you conceal your full size gun, I was hoping for at least one picture...oh well. There seems to be a lot of fans of Comp-Tac holsters (Infidel and C-Tac). What other holsters do you guys carry that you really like?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nolewarrior said:
Waiting on my new MP 40, and need holster assistance. I'm a newbie gun guy and only need something that will clip to the outside of my waistband. I continue to find alot of choices but I am not certian if it's the right unit. I found the holster on SW site for the MP40, should I just go that way and be done with it?

Any help is appreciated.

I have the holster off the S&W site and it is well made, but not the best for CCW. Using the forward cant and wearing it at 4 o'clock does help though. The holster keeps the pistol nice and high on the body.

·
Registered
47 Posts
PENS-66 said:
Hi...I need to find a IWB holster for my M&P compact...was looking at the Desantis Tuck-This for the full size m&p...I would imagine it should still fit....any help on this please let me know...Right now I'm just shoving it into my pants to carry it...thanks guys!!!!

Look at the Desanti Cozy Partner, it's awesome.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have the Desantis Cozy Partner for my compact. I ended up buying a Comp Tac Holster to replace it. The Cozy Partner conceals reasonably well but the Comp Tac is much thinner and more stable. I couldn't carry my gun under a t-shirt with the Desantis but I do regularly with the Comp Tac. THe Comp Tac is also a rigid holster and the Desantis doesn't hold open as well as I would like. I don't like having to wiggle or push a weapon with no safety or hammer into a holster. The Desantis holster is tops in comfort though and i may use it more as winter comes around.

OH, I almost forgot. My only other real gripe with the Desantis was that the holster is actually for a GLOCK. If you look at the pic it has a squared off trigger guard. When I buy a leather holster I like it boned and molded for my gun, not a Glock. Its a petty gripe though the holster fit pretty well but not perfectly. Desantis customer service and delivery time were top notch. You cant go wrong wiht them if you are looking for leather. If your willing to try Kydex, go with the Comp Tac.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts