MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of giving my daughter a Bersa T380 and she lives in GA. She's an attractive single young woman and loves that little T380 and wants to shoot it every time she comes home or we go up there. She's very familiar, comfortable and good with it, but before I give her a weapon of any kind I want to know what's required of the citizens in GA to carry a concealed weapon (classes, etc)? Any of you GA guy's help out here? Let's not get into a pissing contest over the FFL transfer business. I'm asking about CCW permits, etc.

Here in FL you must be finger printed, submit passport size photo, fill out a bunch of paper work and either take a ccw class, fill out the required paper work and demonstrate you know how to shoot a gun ahd hit a target. or be x-military and only do the FP,photo and paperwork.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
208 Posts
CCW in GA

Jim, getting a CCW permit in GA is as easy as paying the fees, getting the fingerprints/background check done, and waiting for the permit to arrive. No classes are required, but I do recommend them for a beginner into CCW. What county does she live in? Tell her to check out GApacking.org and see if her county has any probate court problems. So of the counties near ATL have alot of problems, they either don't want help or don't want to follow state law when it comes to CCW permits. She also needs to check the law here for the places that are off-limits to carry at. GA is great when it comes to no wait for gun-buying and little to no hassle with CCW permit issuance. But it can be vague and problematic when it comes to the nitty-gritty of the CCW law. Some examples: no school carry (unless picking up a student), no public buildings carry, and the broad and vague-no "public gathering" carry.

I hope none of this has dissuaded you from giving her a defensive tool. But, it is the citizen's obligation to know the law and one's responsibilities when carrying a concealed firearm. Hope I didn't sound to preachy there, just trying to help.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. And make sure you check out gapacking.org and gacarry.org, both sites will be very helpful and the membership is very knowledgeable and friendly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Concealed Carry

Thanks much, She lives in Atlanta (Real close to the Lenox Mall). She will take the class and go to the range at least once a month or she'll get no weapon from dad.

I couldn't live with myself if she ever had an accident with a gun I gave her because of not practicing good gun safety or lack of familiarity with the gun due to not using shooting regularly.

Thanks again,

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
She's actually not in that bad a neighborhood at all. I live in Chamblee just North of where she is. If she needs any local help, feel free to send her along my email below. I also shoot IDPA and IPSC competition in Atlanta if she has any questions about them. IDPA is an especially good way to work on your CCW skills while having a little fun too.

Morphire at comcast dot net

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bersa 380

Thanks for the offer Kevin. She's been in Atlanta for 10 yrs and lives in a very nice up scale area. I think she just wants to have a gun just to ba safe and at the same time have one she can go to the range with and have some fun. That littale Bersa will fit easily in her purse and at the same time be a fun gun.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts