MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards small of back carry, seems easiest to keep from printing with the right holster. The particular one I'm looking at is from Crossbreed (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/CrossBreedSOB.html)

I'm used to carrying my j-frame in my pants pocket, and my other pistols OWB during camping and hiking. I'd like my M&P 9c to be as concealed as possible.

How do you carry? Can you post pics of the guns print with your carrying style?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
SOB is not the most recommended carry method. Slightly bending over easily reveals what you got back there. Your shirt can get hung up on it and you would never know. Also bad for weapon retention if it ever comes down to that. Impossible to sit comfortably, and your gun will stick out if you sit on an open backed chair (restaurant, etc.). Others also warn about potential injury to your back should you ever fall back on your pistol.

I carry IWB in a CTAC by Comp-Tac.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
471 Posts
choochboost is correct that that SOB is not the ideal carry position. It is good if you are standing, prints very bad doing anything else. Sitting, bending over are pretty much dead give aways. When you sit down, reach back and feel where your pants go. Generally they are not tight against your back. Now imagine your gun sticking out there. Not good. This is saying nothing about if you happen to fall on it.

The CTAC, already mentioned is a great holster for concealed carry. I have two holsters that I use. The Comp-tac Infidel, and my personal favorite, the Cochise Defender from K&D Holsters. Bothe conceal well also.

Ron

Infidel

Cochise Defender

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
choochboost said:
SOB is not the most recommended carry method. Slightly bending over easily reveals what you got back there. Your shirt can get hung up on it and you would never know. Also bad for weapon retention if it ever comes down to that. Impossible to sit comfortably, and your gun will stick out if you sit on an open backed chair (restaurant, etc.). Others also warn about potential injury to your back should you ever fall back on your pistol.

I carry IWB in a CTAC by Comp-Tac.

Thanks, I had heard that about the SOB carry and injuries, guess I hadn't ever paid it much attention. Certainly valid points here, I think I'll reconsider that holster. My goal is for MOST concealed carry style as possible. I'll work on the rest through training. Typically when I begin spotting trouble I begin to prep myself for a possible altercation. For j-frames this is necessary because concealed location can go from cargo pants to jacket pocket to dress slacks, and in each you access the gun slightly differently. Typically I tend to put my hand on the gun in my pocket without removing it from the pocket holster when I feel I am in a situation that might escalate. The scandium j-frame in .357 can go just about anywhere and hide.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That definitely seems to be the way to go. Is it comfortable against your skin? I see the Crossbreed holsters have a leather section to keep the gun from rubbing on your skin or getting covered in sweat on a hot day. Thanks for sharing!

ront said:
choochboost is correct that that SOB is not the ideal carry position. It is good if you are standing, prints very bad doing anything else. Sitting, bending over are pretty much dead give aways. When you sit down, reach back and feel where your pants go. Generally they are not tight against your back. Now imagine your gun sticking out there. Not good. This is saying nothing about if you happen to fall on it.

The CTAC, already mentioned is a great holster for concealed carry. I have two holsters that I use. The Comp-tac Infidel, and my personal favorite, the Cochise Defender from K&D Holsters. Bothe conceal well also.

Ron

Infidel

Cochise Defender

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that right handed or left handed? I've seen a lot of IWB that say "right handed" but turn the gun around bass ackward. This seems to be tilted in the right direction for me.

ront said:

Ron

Infidel

Cochise Defender

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Both of the pictured holsters are right handed holsters. In the past, I've considered carrying SOB as well but for the reasons listed would definitely not recommend it. I have tried several holsters, including the infidel and the C-Tac, but have been by far most satisfied with the crossbreed standard IWB. It rides very comfortably and concealing quite well. The first thing I quickly realized about holsters is that the advice of others is only helpful to a degree. What works well for one person and body type may not work well for others. Unfortunately it is largely trial and error. As stated above, many people love the Comp-tacs but I hated them. With holsters, even more then many other things, it is a to each their own situation. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
jtaliani said:
Both of the pictured holsters are right handed holsters. In the past, I've considered carrying SOB as well but for the reasons listed would definitely not recommend it. I have tried several holsters, including the infidel and the C-Tac, but have been by far most satisfied with the crossbreed standard IWB. It rides very comfortably and concealing quite well. The first thing I quickly realized about holsters is that the advice of others is only helpful to a degree. What works well for one person and body type may not work well for others. Unfortunately it is largely trial and error. As stated above, many people love the Comp-tacs but I hated them. With holsters, even more then many other things, it is a to each their own situation. Good luck in your decision.
Yep, different people like different holsters, but one thing most people with experience agree on is that when it comes to holsters, you get what you pay for. There is no substitute for a high quality carry rig.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
52 Posts
VMII under a t-shirt

covers nicely.[/img]

·
Registered
403 Posts
I carry my M&P under a T-shirt in a Desantis Cozy partner. Works well for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
my 2 cents

I carry my 40c in an uncle mike's iwb. sidekick, simplicity at it's cheapest..at 25$ it comes with a velcro retention strap, suede like exterior-prevents slippage and a decent yet plastic belt clip. reholstering sucks though. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Uncle Mikes Open style sidekick (no strap) like $16 dollars, collapses when you take it off. 3 o clock for me so it comfy when seated in a car.

FWIW I use the size 36 that I bought for my snubbie AND it works great for my new 3" 1911. Yep, that's 3 guns, one holster. Almost no retention but I don't care about that. Much more comfortable than my Don Hume too!

·
Registered
910 Posts
CompTac CTAC - Usually round 3 or 4 o'clock, but occasionally 1 depending on clothing. Took pics of both. Sorry the pics are blurry - I spend thousands on guns, not cameras.

·
Registered
910 Posts
micah said:
wish i could carry in the 1 o'clock position. some of us have big fat guts and would never be able to sit down!

Sometimes it can get uncomfortable, and flat out hurt, if I try to drive with it at 1 o'clock right after eating/drinking(no, not alcohol) a lot. Cause you get gut pushing into the top of the holster/gun, and leg pushing against the bottom which creates a battle between your leg and gut - and both end up losing. Good news is after about 10 minutes it all goes numb, and your good to go until about 5 minutes after getting out of your car. Then it's a whole new world of pain.

nevrbvictim said:
Hey Josh...Has my wife been using your bathroom again..LOL..looks just like hers....

You got one that like's to leave her mark on the bathroom too, eh? The pic with the curling iron and flat iron is pretty much her bathroom. The other one in the pics is our daughter's, and I try to use it as opposed to using her's. Don't ask why I switched bathroom's to take pics... cause honestly I don't know.

·
Registered
206 Posts
+1 on the CompTac CTAC.. I carry at the 3:30 to 4 range.. LOL..

Of all the holsters I tried on.. The CTAC is the only one that fits well for an IWB and doesn't print on me.. I can wear it all day long and don't even realize I have it on... My only problem I have is when I have my crackberry on my side.. It gets in the way.. But most of the time I carry the berry in my pocket when I carry.. Because I usually wear my shirt untucked.. don't want to get my phone and show someone what I have... I also talked to J.B. when I ordered mine.. He made mine a slider so I can use my full size also..

Ben

·
Registered
47 Posts
For OWB I use the Highnoon Snapper at 4:00 and for IWB the Desanti Cozy Partner which has been working well. I prefer the Highnoon since it's sort of hot here in FL for IWB carry and the Highnoon rides close to the body so it conceals as good as IWB. Can anyone recommend a good 1 1/2 belt for OWB that is readily available? All of the ones that I have seen on the web take several weeks.

Highnoon Snapper

Sorry for the terrible pics!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts