MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cbs11tv.com/local/local_story_172173307.html

I stumbled on this story.... Warning shots are for suckers but if that is what you choose always go for the grass!!!!! I hope this guy doesnt get charged what an insult catching the guy who has been breaking into many homes, and possibly having to go to court... I noticed some dfw members please keep an eye out and update

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well at least no one got hurt except maybe his butt when he get thrown in the pokey. Let this be a lesson to everybody.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
One of the first things they taught us in the Police Academy is that you NEVER fire warning shots! No matter what direction you point the gun there is the possibility of injuring an innocent party, and it's a waste of ammo that you might need to save your own life. There are incidents on file where people have been killed by warning shots, sometimes it's the bad guy that is injured by an errant bullet, but more often it's an innocent party that isn't even connected to the situation, and then you could be facing a charge of homicide.

Shoot it in the dirt? There might be a rock that you can't see that could cause a ricochet, or they might not think and shoot downwards to a concrete sidewalk or street, and an out of control bullet is the result.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before the deployment

While in kuwait I attended Guard Force Training and part of EOF (escalation of force) a warning shot to the ground is what we were trained and I have HAD to implement during my deployment which probably saved my life so that is why I reccomend a warning shot to the ground and if that person is unaware of shooting at concrete or other terrain then that person should trade his firearm for a slingshot!!!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Warning shots are for stupid people who can't make a decision, dont pull a gun unless you intend to shoot at your target. Its sad, that he will have to pay for his good deed, but I hope their is a lesson learned here for all of us...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Re: Before the deployment

101Combat Vet said:
While in kuwait I attended Guard Force Training and part of EOF (escalation of force) a warning shot to the ground is what we were trained and I have HAD to implement during my deployment which probably saved my life so that is why I reccomend a warning shot to the ground and if that person is unaware of shooting at concrete or other terrain then that person should trade his firearm for a slingshot!!!!

Its a poor lesson, check the Center for Lessons Learned (CALL) for warning shots. Even though we teach them as a tactic, you and I both know no one sees or hears a warning shot, but the surrounding witness's, not the driver or assailant. In fact if I remember from my last live fire at JRTC we abolished warning shots in general for fear ricochet in urban environments. I will have to dig up the AAR comments.

Bottom-line, don't do it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
Warning shots are for stupid people who can't make a decision, dont pull a gun unless you intend to shoot at your target. Its sad, that he will have to pay for his good deed, but I hope their is a lesson learned here for all of us...

I agree, was also taught never fire warning shots. Give verbal instructions and escalate force as necessary. Besides warning shots just give the perp a chance to return fire. The purpose of a weapon is to incapacitate or eliminate, not to announce that it works.

Rob $.02

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree we are not in Iraq and the guy was wrong for shooting in the air but when needed I used the warining shot while in Iraq and like I said it probably saved my life. so in my eyes different situations call for different measures-Jason

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agreed that warning shots are not a good idea, no matter the direction. I seriously doubt that he will serve time, thankfully. The DA will be hard pressed to find a jury that will convict him on anything other than unlawfull discharge, or brandishing. If memory serves, both are misdemeanors, so thankfully he wont have to do time.

·
Registered
910 Posts
First warning shot should be to the chest. Quickly followed by another shot to the chest, and a 3rd shot to the head.

That's how I'd warn you, anyways.

·
Registered
115 Posts
josh said:
First warning shot should be to the chest. Quickly followed by another shot to the chest, and a 3rd shot to the head.

That's how I'd warn you, anyways.

LOL
I like that as long as I'm not the one being warned

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shooting into the air is just plain stupid. I had some hail damage on my house repaired a year ago and the inspector asked if I had been drilling in my attic and I told them no and asked why? I was shown 3 holes in my roof. The roofer and I dug around and found 3 bullets in my attic. There are people who shoot in the air in other neighboorhoods on the 4th which is where the bullets have come from. The roofer told me he has pulled quite a few from other roofs. Just think if someone was outside or there were kids playing.

You should never pull your weapon unless you plan on using it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Sounds to me like someone was watching too many Hollywood movies and thought that was the proper thing to do.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've been debating getting non-lethal rubber rounds for the first "warning shot" to the chest.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts