MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all...convince me!!!! I had been the Sig 229 route years ago - then HK USP compact---then a Glock 23...ended up with a Springfield XD-40 after many State police reports of Glock problems... that was decent, but had to sell 2 years ago - and I know technology improves...have a CC permit from Colorado, but it's not necessary in FLA

So what's makes the S&W an ideal CC .40S&W...? :roll: I need a carry that will shoot straight (w some Big Dot sites) and won't kick the snot out' my wrists? Just read the article on the M&P in Guns & Ammo Combat Tactics magazine...mostly positive, but not thoroughly so...any other write ups on it???

Make your case p'ulease :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Huh? Not being mean, but how in the world can anyone make this case for you?

CCW weapon is a personal decision. Make your best effort at choosing one, then shoot it till you are comfortable and happy with it.

If you are not comfortable and happy with, keep looking.

Don't depend on everyone elses opinion. YOUR'S is the only one that matters.

I bought my M+P 9c because it met many of my criteria, but mostly because

I liked the way it felt and pointed. 500-600 rounds later I am fairly confident

in it's working right and shooting straight. I am comfortable carrying it

and shooting it. I have faith it's at least as dependable as anything else

I have, had, or could have.

Works for me.

Oh.... It's fun enough to shoot that I will gladly practice shooting 100 or 200

rounds every time I go to the range. That matters. I almost had to force myself

to practice with the .38 snubby. Not quite force.... but it was more a duty than

a joy. My M+P is fun enough that I look forward to shooting it. A lot.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I think it's time you stopped listening to others and tested it out on your own. It seems you jumped around from gun to gun and even admitted to ditching the Glock because some department, some where, had some issue.

If it feels good and seems to work for you pick one up and take it for a test drive. Run a couple of cases of ammo through it and see how it does. That's what I've been doing and so far I'm extremely impressed. You can follow my T&E thread here: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1324

Also you'll see dozens of other range reports in there. No one person can give you all the info you need so read, read, read and if possible shoot, shoot, shoot.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...and I don't take it wrong - I have medium size hands, and thin wrists...too much muzzle flip or chubby handgrips don't work for me - by asking questions and using previous handgun models, I am hoping to generate input from others who went through similar trials...so - keep the input coming, please!

·
Registered
171 Posts
What was wrong with the previous pistols? Maybe if we know what you don't like we can all help you work around those issues.

Interestingly enough I too am looking at the M&P and 229 for purchase as my primary concealed carry gun. I have shot both and see them as pretty equal in terms of recoil and accuracy. So I am continueing my own search.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is my take on your question. My favorite cc pistol has been a P99 S&W 40 (German made not S&W) It shoots soft, feels great in my hands, is dependable and is accurate. I heard the noise about the new M&P and decided to rent a 40 shooting it side by side with my P99. In one range session consisting of about 250 rounds I determined that the M&P felt as good, shot more accurately and stayed on the target better. I don't think that it will conceal as well as the P99, but it does hold three more rounds. My new gun is at Burwells where he is giving it "the works". I'm like a kid just before Christmas waiting on the day it arrives. I don't think I'll be disappointed. This gun really is special.

See if you can find one to shoot - my may like it as much as I do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I pretty much narrowed it down between the XD and the M&P

I liked both guns quite a bit but like the ergonomics of the M&P just a bit more. I also believe the M&P is a bit more narrow of a gun so it should be a bit easier to conceal.

That, and it's sooooo purdy 8)

·
Registered
406 Posts
When I got my first handgun a year ago, I went to a range and rented 8 guns. I put 50-100 rounds through each:

Springfield XD service model .40

Springfield XD Compact .40

Springfield 4" 1911 45 ACP

Sig 226 .40

HK USP Compact .40

HK USP Compact 45 ACP

Glock 22 .40

S&W 4" 1911 45 ACP

The 1911's were awesome, but expensive and I didn't want to carry cocked & locked.

Glock makes a great gun, but when I hold one I feel like I'm holding a bar of soap.

The Sig felt the best to me, but had 3 FTFeed in 100 rounds. I'm sure they're great guns, but it really turned me off. It was a range gun with cheap ammo, but none of the other guns had a single problem.

The Springfield XD Compact felt too small.

The HK 45 ACP had too much recoil.

So it was down to the XD service model .40 and the HK USP Compact .40. I thought the fit and finish was better on the HK. It felt better in my hand. It was easier to conceal. And I decided I wanted to carry decocked. So I got the HK.

I was pretty happy until I shot my buddy's M&P about 6 weeks ago. I got my M&P .40 about 2 weeks ago and have about 1000 rounds through it, and 1 IPSC competition.

I'm very happy with this gun.

The fit & finish on the M&P is a little lower than the HK. Higher than the XD. About equal to the glock, but the ergonomics of the M&P are better.

I have come to the conclusion that the Milt Sparks VM2 holster conceals so well and is so secure that I no longer feel the desire to carry decocked, or compact.

I think the trigger is on par with the XD and Glock. Not as good as a nice 1911, but better than the HK.

The ergonomics are better than any other service pistol I've shot, and it pionts very naturally. About equal to the XD.

Felt recoil was a little more than I expected. I had read in several reviews that recoil on the M&P is significantly less than other similar guns. I don't really feel that difference. But it definately isn't more than any of the other guns.

I don't really like the stock sight picture, but they seem accurate.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I think the M&P is designed very well. Although it's a little harder to break down for cleaning, it is much easier to fully disassemble and get back together than the HK, XD, or the Glock.

The M&P is a very attractive gun. I think the designers were function over form guys. Function=beauty to me.

I think the M&P is the best value on the market right now.

I think Smith & Wesson really gives you a lot of bang for your buck with the M&P.

My brother is an XD guy. He has 4. My cousin is a glock guy. He has 12 or 13. My little M&P is putting big bad thoughts in their heads.

I really think you should shoot all the guns you are interrested in before buying. You can't really go wrong with an XD, Glock, HK, or Sig. But I feel this is especially true with the M&P.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YES! just what the doctor ordered

Alright! Now, THAT'S :idea: what I'm lookin' for...just personal experience I can match up when i handle and test the M&P. I truly loved the HK when I had it, and in a tight Kydex belt rig, I almost never knew I was carrying. Economics forced a sale...as it did with the XD. I'll probably try to get up to the gun show in Sarasota and just grip test 'em all again, before I head to the range. Leaning M&P but who knows.....keep it comin' gang - much appreciated!

also, on the M&P thread, any recommendations on 1) Kydex belt holsters and 2) techs who can handle trigger/spring customizing? thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Guns are individual things. It's like me trying on shoes that you want to buy. What kind of logic would that be?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think.....outside of other human beings...guns are "things", and hence, our experience with "things" can often be categorized as common experiences - take cars, for instance - you gain knowledge from others experience before testing the models yourself, looking for their stength's and weaknesses...and, hopefully, save yourself from making the wrong $$$$ decision. The idea is sort of s "consumer reports" on semi-auto pistols, if you will....just trying to narrow the choices in a new tech market ...

·
Registered
298 Posts
True. But I cannot make up your mind for you, you must do that. I can tell you what works, what doesn't work for me. But you must be open minded enough to go an try it for yourself.

I can shoot .11 second splits with my M&P9 but that doesn't mean that you can, maybe you can and maybe even faster, maybe not. I can shoot mine as accurately and as fast as I can my $2400 STI custom Limited gun. Maybe you can too, maybe not. That's just what I can do with mine. In your hands it's a different animal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Understood - I'm just lookin' to set up some "sign posts" along the way...things toi look for... as I travel a similar path.... thanks for the input -

·
Registered
524 Posts
I did like bob and rented 8 different guns to get a feel for the variety of options. I shot glock 17, 19, 23, XD9 4inch, XD40 4 inch, USP45C, 1911 .45, and the M&P40.

For me it came down to the XD and the M&P. Here were my reasons for going with the M&P:

This thing is a really light recoiler, shoot one, you'll see,

The slide is stainless steel under the melonite/bluing, no rust issues!,

The extractor claw is pretty honkin' big,

Muzzle is cone shaped to lessen friction against the slide during cycling,

Case is fully supported, even at the 6 o'clock position,

The feed angle is very good, magazines feed the cartridge directly into the chamber, with minimal contact to the feed ramp,

Nice stock sights, if not a little busy, Novak LoMounts (mine have trijicon tritium inserts from the factory),

S&W spent a small fortune on a ergonomics study of the human hand and it really shows!,

The steel chassis embedded inside the polymer frame has rails shaped like "footballs" so that they clear any crud easier then traditional square edges, and create less friction during cycling,

All controls are fully ambi; including the slide stop for you lefties,

I really like the smooth trigger face over the glock trigger blade. This is less an issue on XD's because it pulls even with the rest of the trigger when pressure is applied, where on the glock it remains slightly protruding throughout the trigger stroke,

That thing holds 16 rounds of .40S&W! Lots of love to give!

$399 from buds gunshop, not too shabby!

Came with a free range bag that is rather nice (send in a copy of your reciept) a $60 value.

They are pretty accurate from the factory...

I just really think that S&W put a lot of thought into the M&P and the sum of those little things make it a greater pistol then other offerings out right now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Get over his language guys. He probably just said, "Convince Me" to bring in more interest.

It sounds to me like he just wants your oppinions on why you chose the M&P as a CC gun as opposed to other guns you've shot. I don't think he's going to by and carry an M&P just because I say, "this is why I chose this gun".

You guys give your opinions on everything else, why not this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks CC Nerd...again, perfect information - I'll be scoping out local shops to handle and test...and likely ordering from your friend for the better price - thanks for the tip...loved your "that's alot of love to give" remark...urban jungle language 8)

Quick question - trigger load - my old Glock 23 had a New York trigger job done...down to 3.5lbs - man, that puppy went off as soon as I commtiied the thought to firing - maybe a little TOO light - any suggestions in that area?

·
Registered
524 Posts
M&P's trigger is 5-6lbs stock I believe. Dan Burwell or David Bowie can make it anything you want :wink:

Sorry I can't offer more advice or comparison to the NY glock triggers, as I am confused... I thought the NY1 trigger was like 8lbs?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dan Burwell did a trigger job on my M&P compact recently and he said it was around 4.5lbs..For me thats just right...The new york trigger job on the Glocks is heavier than stock..somewhere around 8 lbs...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Shoot the M&P stock first, you may be surprised.

When you look at the guns, Glock, XD, Sig, HK, Smith, etc., take the slides off and look at the guts of them. You don't have to be a gunsmith to see that the M&P looks better.

CCNerd is right about the extractor. Look at the M&P's extractor compared to the other guns. It's at least twice as big. The M&P seems extremely well made to me.

That said, the M&P could be the greatest gun ever made, but if you shoot the XD or the Glock better, then get the XD or the Glock.

·
Registered
319 Posts
for me, it came down between 3 guns.

MP 9, XD9sc, PT24/79mm

Similer priced, similer concept, similer size gun

all had pro and cons. And i based my judgement on the fact with everything being equal, MP fits my hand far better then any other..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts