MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292168,00.html

What kind of idiot hiding behind a badge shots at a snake up in a tree I hope this idiot spends a long time in jail!!! plus gets the (bonafied) police welcome while in jail..

I respect everyone who works as a cop but this come on they put him on paid leave get outta here turn in your badge and stay for holding

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The combination of this story plus all the posts from supposed LEO's saying they shouldn't have to clean their guns makes me very uncomfortable regarding our current state of LEO affairs.

I know all are not f ups but it certainly sounds like more than a fair share are.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
This is terrible. A young boy was killed because they couldnt call animal control/similar to get the damn snake down.......I agree with Jason, hope this idiot gets FUBAR...........I understand accidents happen, but we are all supposed to be able to think clearly in these types situations.

:roll:

·
Registered
660 Posts
If I fired a shot in the air I would be arrested for neglience. He did it twice! My prayers go out to that boy's family. Its so sad that something that this would have been prevented with just a little common sense.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fire1 said:
If I fired a shot in the air I would be arrested for neglience. He did it twice! My prayers go out to that boy's family. Its so sad that something that this would have been prevented with just a little common sense.
exactly Barney Fife couldnt have pulled this off complete neglignece on his part I hope he gets 20+ but that badge will reduce it by half

·
Registered
660 Posts
What ever happened to hitting snakes with a big stick or "baton" ? The only time I've ever shot a snake was when it was a cotton mouth that I had first beat senseless. I really can't stand letting an animal suffer so I shot it WHILE ON THE GROUND WITH A PELLET RIFLE! Point blank shot. It just makes me sad to think this poor kid will never go fishing again. I can't believe the LEO didn't admit to it right off the bat. Its not like he wasn't going to get found out. But in all honesty that LEO probably wishes it had richoceted and hit him. I can't imagine how he is feeling either.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope that negilgent cop gets as much sleep as that childs parents.. I feel bad for what he is going through BUT an idiot is an idiot

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
This a horrible tragedy, not only for the family losing a son, but for the Oklahoma Police force. I truly hope justice is served fairly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe at least position oneself so that the tree is behind the snake.....

It is going to pass through the snake even with a good hit..........so use a backstop for pete's sake.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
This whole thing is a great tragedy, a complete failure of the officer involved to observe even the most basic firearms safety. As I understand it, the officer involved used very poor judgment, she didn't have a legitimate reason to even shoot at the snake, I've heard the claim the snake was a rattler, but they don't climb! It was almost certainly a harmless snake and should have been left alone, even if it was a poisonous snake there still wasn't any legitimate reason to shoot it.

The officer will likely be facing negligent homicide charges.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G56 said:
This whole thing is a great tragedy, a complete failure of the officer involved to observe even the most basic firearms safety. As I understand it, the officer involved used very poor judgment, she didn't have a legitimate reason to even shoot at the snake, I've heard the claim the snake was a rattler, but they don't climb! It was almost certainly a harmless snake and should have been left alone, even if it was a poisonous snake there still wasn't any legitimate reason to shoot it.

The officer will likely be facing negligent homicide charges.
I remember the report saying a LARGE snake I am not Steve Irwin but I do know most poisonious snakes are not that big so I am with you g56 It probably was a pet python or boa that got loose.. my brothers red tail boa was 6 1/2 feet when he got rid of it and that is a BIG snake

·
Registered
293 Posts
Isn't there specific ammunition, i.e. shotshells, that can be used to dispatch unwanted or nuissaince animals at short distance but become virtually useless as distances beyond 15-25 yards?

I would think that if such is the case, this sort of ammo would be carried by officers and animal control in the event that shooting is the only recourse.

Not to mention, ESPECIALLY if they have to shoot upwards, and even then, change the angle to as near verical as possible, as according to Mythbusters, it's only the "trajectory" style shots that can kill, a vertical shot with no trajectory will fall back to the ground with nonlethal impact.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rules?

7 words: Know your target AND what's behind it.

I'll also add the blue sky rule.

Can't believe this story. Idiots with guns scare me.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You would think using your shotgun would be a smarter option, not the smartest. But better then an handgun round being fired into the sky.

·
Registered
37 Posts
choochboost said:
I want to know why a snake in a tree was considered a threat.

My thoughts exactly! I'm an LEO and we get our fair share of "Giant deadly snake calls" No venomous in my area so its either a watersnake,gartersnake or an escaped Python . One Sgt shot a watersnake in a public park as it was basking by a pond on rocks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm at a loss here, even if you had to shoot it why wouldn't you use a shotgun? Shot disperses, so even if you manage to miss TWICE you would just be throwing up shot that would come down and hurt really bad. Heck, Cheney dropped one of his hunting buddies and the guy lived to tell about it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Prayers go out to the boys family! I have a 5 year old boy, this sickens me to the very essence of Fatherhood!! Think about how Grandpa must feel too!! Something that is the most precious of moments ripped apart, flipped over, and turned into hell. To be next to him and see it happen...

God forgive the officer... jury of twelve, throw the book as hard as you can!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts