MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought an M&P m2.0 5" FDE pistol. I've loved the gun since first range trip, but am seeing copper fouling, and I think even my shots are being pushed low now do to it. Does anyone with more handgun knowledge/experience have any input for me ? Should I send the barrel back in? I'd appreciate any response.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You didn't specify how often you clean that gun and its barrel, or what you use to clean it. You don't send a barrel back in if you have not kept it cleaned regularly and used the proper compounds.

I clean every time and use good old Hoppes #9, and soak the inside of the barrel and scrub it back and forth a few times with a brass brush then let it sit standing up on a safe absorbent surface (small piece of carpet sample will do fine) for 5 to 10 minutes. Then I run the brush through again, several times, then do it with fabric patches. If it is still not bright and shiny clean I do it again. Sometimes if there is some lead left in the grooves I will run small patches of lead removal cloth through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did this from day 1 as soon as I got it, I noticed it had come with some already. I cleaned it then and when i took it to shoot it got a little worse and i cleaned it then too, with hoppes 9 every time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You didn't specify how often you clean that gun and its barrel, or what you use to clean it. You don't send a barrel back in if you have not kept it cleaned regularly and used the proper compounds.

I clean every time and use good old Hoppes #9, and soak the inside of the barrel and scrub it back and forth a few times with a brass brush then let it sit standing up on a safe absorbent surface (small piece of carpet sample will do fine) for 5 to 10 minutes. Then I run the brush through again, several times, then do it with fabric patches. If it is still not bright and shiny clean I do it again. Sometimes if there is some lead left in the grooves I will run small patches of lead removal cloth through it.
It bought it and didn't notice in store until I got it home that it came with copper washing already, from the factory. I appreciate the response. I'm new to handguns and just don't know if it's serious or something I shouldn't worry about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are some things you can soak the barrel in overnight to really loosen that fouling, but I'm not sure what they are. Hopefully someone will come along and tell you how to fix the problem. It sounds like you bought a used gun - is that correct? That could mean the previous owner neglected maintenance and it will take a lot more than the usual cleaning process. But do not dismay, it can be cleaned. I'm just not the person to tell you exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are some things you can soak the barrel in overnight to really loosen that fouling, but I'm not sure what they are. Hopefully someone will come along and tell you how to fix the problem. It sounds like you bought a used gun - is that correct? That could mean the previous owner neglected maintenance and it will take a lot more than the usual cleaning process. But do not dismay, it can be cleaned. I'm just not the person to tell you exactly how to do it.
Factory new, was supposed to be anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Beats me. Have you called the manufacturer to ask about those streaks. Some better pictures sent to them might help also. I'm one of the world's worst photographers so I can't give you any help there either. I do know that I've not seen a new gun with the inside of a barrel that was anything except bright shiny steel clean, both the lands and the grooves - except for a tiny bit of specs of carbon from test round(s) fired at the factory.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Copper fouling has never been a problem for me at the velocities that pistol rounds achieve.

I use Eezox as a CLP, and have for many years on all my firearms, though what you use isn’t really that important (unless you use WD-40).

I don’t think that sending a dirty barrel back to the manufacturer is going to do much for you, anyway.

If you want to get it cleaner than you are now; get a different bore cleaner, or spend a little more time on cleaning it.

I’m not being a wise ass, but I just run a dry bore brush through mine 8-9 times, then a dry patch, followed by a patch soaked in Eezox. I let it sit while I’m cleaning the rest of the pistol parts. When they’re ready to be reassembled; I run a dry patch through the bore, and put everything back together.

That works well for me, whether I’m cleaning a carry gun (cleaned every time I shoot it), or a range gun that lives in the range bag, and only gets cleaned 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Copper fouling has never been a problem for me at the velocities that pistol rounds achieve.

I use Eezox as a CLP, and have for many years on all my firearms, though what you use isn’t really that important (unless you use WD-40).

I don’t think that sending a dirty barrel back to the manufacturer is going to do much for you, anyway.

If you want to get it cleaner than you are now; get a different bore cleaner, or spend a little more time on cleaning it.

I’m not being a wise ass, but I just run a dry bore brush through mine 8-9 times, then a dry patch, followed by a patch soaked in Eezox. I let it sit while I’m cleaning the rest of the pistol parts. When they’re ready to be reassembled; I run a dry patch through the bore, and put everything back together.

That works well for me, whether I’m cleaning a carry gun (cleaned every time I shoot it), or a range gun that lives in the range bag, and only gets cleaned 3-4 times a year.
Does anything in the photos look like what you've experienced? Or is this out of the ordinary? Thanks for responding, no offense taken at all, I'm just curious if what I posted in the pics is cause for any concern.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did some on line research and good old Hoppes comes up time and time again as the best solvent/cleaner. Here's just one web page

I'm thinking that perhaps you are not soaking the inside of the barrel thoroughly (so the Hoppe's actually drips out the bottom when you sit it on end), and also not letting it sit long enough before using that copper brush again. The chemicals need time to work properly. AND BTW: I always clean the copper brush on a clean cloth after the first go-through when I use it to soak the inside of the barrel.

Then after I use it again to do the second scrub after it sits, I clean the brush again. I NEVER dip the brush into the bottle of Hoppe's if it is dirty. (Some person I'm married to does that, so I keep my OWN bottle of Hoppe's!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did some on line research and good old Hoppes comes up time and time again as the best solvent/cleaner. Here's just one web page

I'm thinking that perhaps you are not soaking the inside of the barrel thoroughly (so the Hoppe's actually drips out the bottom when you sit it on end), and also not letting it sit long enough before using that copper brush again. The chemicals need time to work properly. AND BTW: I always clean the copper brush on a clean cloth after the first go-through when I use it to soak the inside of the barrel.

Then after I use it again to do the second scrub after it site, I clean the brush again. I NEVER dip the brush into the bottle of Hoppe's if it is dirty. (Some person I'm married to does that, so I keep my OWN bottle of Hoppe's!)
Hahaha I'll take that advise, I've just been running a brush through that I've dipped in solvent one or two times I guess I need to get more liberal with the amount I use, I really appreciate the feedback !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad to help. I've certainly had tons of help from others on various forums over the years, and most happy to pass the good stuff along! Let us know how letting that barrel soak in more solution for a longer time turns out for you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've use Hoppe's#9 for years. I clean after every range trip (and sometimes in between if the pistol/rifle has been exposed to dust/dirt/rain/sweat, etc.)

Recently an old buddy recommended a cleaner called Bore Tech Eliminator to me. I ordered a bottle from Amazon. Use nylon brushes and coated rods as it will even remove some material from copper/brass bore brushes/rods/patch tips, etc. Put some on a patch, run it through the barrel and it will come out the prettiest blue/green you've seen since the last time you heated up some copper wire with a torch. Then brush it a few strokes and run some more BTE (Bore Tech Eliminator through the barrel with a patch. Do that till the patches stop coming out blue/green and then run dry patches through it till dry and then an oily patch to protect the barrel metal/surface in between range sessions.

Some of the patches from pistol barrels I was cleaning with the BTE a few weeks back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've use Hoppe's#9 for years. I clean after every range trip (and sometimes in between if the pistol/rifle has been exposed to dust/dirt/rain/sweat, etc.)

Recently an old buddy recommended a cleaner called Bore Tech Eliminator to me. I ordered a bottle from Amazon. Use nylon brushes and coated rods as it will even remove some material from copper/brass bore brushes/rods/patch tips, etc. Put some on a patch, run it through the barrel and it will come out the prettiest blue/green you've seen since the last time you heated up some copper wire with a torch. Then brush it a few strokes and run some more BTE (Bore Tech Eliminator through the barrel with a patch. Do that till the patches stop coming out blue/green and then run dry patches through it till dry and then an oily patch to protect the barrel metal/surface in between range sessions.

Some of the patches from pistol barrels I was cleaning with the BTE a few weeks back.

I'll be ordering that right now, thanks!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Hahaha I'll take that advise, I've just been running a brush through that I've dipped in solvent one or two times I guess I need to get more liberal with the amount I use, I really appreciate the feedback !
I think you’ve identified the fouling “problem.” :LOL:

·
Registered
28 Posts
It doesn't take a whole lot to clean the barrel. I think more damage is done by running those wire brushes through them than shooting it. I don't recall the brand name - I've never had to actually use it either - but they sell copper fouling products in the gun cleaning section at the stores. If you are seeing copper fouling, then just clean your barrel with it as per instructions on the bottle. I use either Hoppes, or clp on my barrel. I run a cloth patch of Hoppes #9 through it, running it back and forth about five times, then use a bristle brush, then a another 4 or 5 runs thru with the Hoppes on a cloth patch, then I run a clean dry patch thru it, and then a lightly oiled patch thru once in each direction, and lightly lightly coat the feed ramp too. I'll run a brass wired brush thru the barrel with Hoppes on it about every thousand rounds, and only two runs thru the barrel with it. Also, a little tip for ya - wrap your cleaning patch AROUND a bristle brush, and it cleans the inside of the barrel with the tight fit of a bore snake. So just get some copper remover from the store, and clean the barrel with care as to not do anything to mess up the rifling.I'm certain the copper remover will take everything out of the barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need to get a good picture of the inside of the cleaned barrel to see what the rifling looks like. Taurus has had to replace many barrels for their Tx22 which had a large batch of bad barrels which caused major lead fouling. This is a picture of my Tx22 original barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like you have gotten a lot of great assistance from other folks in the forum, but just my two cents.... I have had great experience with Pro Shot Products Copper Solvent # IV for removing this type of fouling using similar cleaning procedures as described above. When all done cleaning, I finish with a thin coating of Outer’s Metal Seal. The pics look like normal fouling to me. All of these various suggestions should work for you. Good luck !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has nothing to do with the barrel, but what is it that looks like metal fillings on the frame below the slide?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts