MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have never had a problem with Copper fouling in low velocity cartridges. Copper fouling is more of a problems when you get up above 3,000 fps. I could see where an extremely rough bore could cause Copper fouling at lower velocities though.

If you want to check for Copper fouling, get a Copper removing specific cleaner, they contain Ammonia.
I use Sweet's 7.62 but there are other Copper solvents as well.
As good as regular Hoppes #9 is for removing powder fouling, it isn't going to do anything to get all the Copper out unless it contains Ammonia.

If your patches are coming out blue/green, then you are getting Copper deposits out. Don't leave an Ammonia based solvent in your barrel overnight, it can etch the rifling. Let it soak for 30 minutes max, then check your patches and do again if necessary. Make sure you clean all the Copper solvent out when done.
And as M1A4ME said, buy some nylon brushes to use with the Copper solvent, Ammonia will eat away at your Copper or Bronze brushes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ll recommend a product as other have done. I’ve had amazing success with KG-12 Copper Solvent. It does not use ammonia, so there is no blue or green reaction on your patches. However, it is working, so same precautions with brass/copper brushes and jags. As an example:

I installed new Trijicon night sights on my Dad’s Ruger P-90 about a week ago and used a brass punch to drift the rear sight. It leaves a small brass mark. You could watch as the KG-12 took off the brass smudge. But, about 2 years ago I used a different copper solvent (hoppes?) and it took a couple applications and some time to remove.

Good luck Sir!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I there is always a little copper fowling in my 9mm Shield barrel and it 's the most accurate handgun I own .

21 - 26 of 26 Posts