MP-Pistol Forum banner

Corbon ammo & 9c

4K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  ToddG 
#1 ·
(deleted)

#3 ·
Not really the right forum but we have a member that drops by now and again that is a nationally recognized expert on terminal ballistics that has kindly provided a list of scientifically proven rounds. He does not rank anything except by pass or fail accepted minimums. These have passed. Of these I personally lean toward the heavier projectiles in each caliber.

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

.40 S&W:

Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP

Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)

Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)

Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)

Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)

Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)

Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)

.45 ACP:

Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

#6 ·
No I haven't gotten a chance to shoot my M&P9 at all, but today took delivery on some 147gr HSTs for it. I'm hoping I get my pistol back late this week. My only other M&P has has a few rounds of 230gr 45acp HSTs through it. Both are off getting trigger jobs right now.

Note that I'm a layman not Doc. But I like the heavier loads on his list because the ideal is to drive the biggest possible hole ~15". Deep enough to travel through raised arms and blubber and reach vital stuff that doesn't react well to big honking holes. In general heavier projectiles penetrate better. Also anything over 18" is over-penetration. There was a very long, heated and highly educational debate in the ammo forum. Doc jumped in late but he opened some eyes. In my layman's opinion you're good to go with anything on his list.

Anyway just to illustrate the difference between heavy and light projectiles here are DoubleTap's official figures for their very hot loaded ammunition. The figures are velocity, penetration, and expanded diameter.

All of these tests were done using 10% ballistic gelatin provided by Vyse gelatin using all FBI protocols and 4 layers of denim and two layers of light cotton T-shirt in front of the gelatin.

DoubleTap .40 S&W Penetration / expansion

165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1200fps - 14.0" / .70"

180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 110fps - 14.75" / .68"

DoubleTap .357 Sig

125gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1450fps - 14.5" / .66"

DoubleTap .357 Magnum

125gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1600fps - 12.75" / .69"

158gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 19.0" .56"

DoubleTap 10mm

135gr JHP @ 1600fps - 11.0" / .70" frag nasty

155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1475fps - 13.5" / .88"

165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" / 1.02"

165gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1425fps - 14.75" / .82"

180gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1330fps - 16.0" / .85"

180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1300fps - 15.25" / .96"

200gr XTP @ 1250fps - 19.5" / .72"

230gr Equalizer @ 1040fps - 11.0" and 17.0" / .62" and .40"

DoubleTap .45ACP

185gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1225fps - 12.75" / .82"

200gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1125fps - 14.25" / .88"

230gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1010fps - 15.25" / .95"

#8 ·
There is nothing wrong with the Barnes bullets that Corbon uses for their DPX, but they still don't seem to expand quite as reliably as Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Ranger-T's.

I'm carrying the 9mm DPX in my 9c right now, but I just ordered 2 boxes of Ranger-T's in 9mm and 40 to carry from now on.

#10 ·
I very much like the Corbon DPX in my .40c. The biggest problem with this ammo is that I can hardly ever find it so I generally use the Speer GD. It is the SD ammo I keep in my Kel tec .380, but again, very hard to find.

Ron

#12 ·
WOW! Look at all the Corbon experts!!!

It doesn't expand! It jammed my gun!

Corbon is no better or worse than any other reputable factory ammo. I've carried it in 38, 9MM, 40SW, 10MM, 45 ACP, and 357 Mag. Never a problem.

But lets not stop there. Why limit myself? I also use Double Tap, Winchester Ranger T, Golden Saber, and Speer Gold Dot.

I'm not to sure about Double Tap though. Anyone can make a bullet go REAL fast. But there's more to the equation. Bullet composition, design and speed are all important.

A good defensive ammo should have low flash, moderate recoil, penetration, superb accuracy and reliablity. DPX is all of those in addition to 100% weight retention. DPX is todays technology.

#15 ·
You guys are all failing to note Corbon's newest 9mm defensive load, the 100 gr Powerball.

This load offer great expansion, good penetration, and incredible velocity.

Velocity is so good, that it has been chrongraphed by GunBlast magazine coming out of the M&P 9c at an amazing 1,573 fps. That works out to a whopping 549 ft lbs of energy, which then places the 9c in the same power range as a .45 auto or .357 magnum revolver.

Here is a link to this test review by GunBlast:

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm

Lance

#18 ·
I carried the powrball round for quite awhile before switching to 135gr Federal Tactical. I just didn't trust the powrball round to penetrate adequately. All the expansion in the world won't count for anything if it won't reach vital organs. I just have a personal preferance and a belief that the federal HST or Tactical rounds are better (and much cheaper than powrball). Just my .02

#21 ·
There's a reason why the major ammo manufacturers don't make gimmick ammo, and there's a reason why every single major law enforcement agency in the country uses ammunition from the Big Three -- ATK (Federal & Speer); Remington; and, Winchester -- and not from some boutique ammo company.

#22 ·
ToddG said:
There's a reason why the major ammo manufacturers don't make gimmick ammo, and there's a reason why every single major law enforcement agency in the country uses ammunition from the Big Three -- ATK (Federal & Speer); Remington; and, Winchester -- and not from some boutique ammo company.

LOL... like Extreme Shock? HAHAHAHA. FANG FACE BABY!!!! :?

#23 ·
YukonGlocker said:

I sincerely mean no disrespect and applaud your efforts. However to conduct your own ballistic tests using wet news print and then passing them off on a public or private forum is irresponsible at best. Any one of the self defense rounds tested would work as well as the next if the shooter did his part.

FBI protocol calls for PROPERLY calibrated 10% ballistic gelatin for testing. Acceptable pentration is 12 inches. 18 inches even better. 10% gelatin more closely resembles human tissue than any other test medium. Newsprint, phone books, water jugs, etc are not considered as being accurate or realistic for testing.

In other independant tests using 10% gelatin Corbon 115gr 9MM DPX penetrated 16 inches after going through 4 layers of denim and 18 inches after penetrating 2 layers of 16 guage steel.

#24 ·
ToddG said:

Site your source for this fact. I know agencies that use Corbon, Black Hills, and others.

#25 ·
One bad thing about powerball is that it fragments as soon as it hits, look at the pics on GunBlast, if I was going to use a round like that and I do it's Federal Tactical EFMJ, stays together and puts a solid hole thru whatever it hits. Ballastics are better than PB also. Bottom line is ignore the hype and buy from a reputable maker what works 100% in your gun.

#26 ·
bobk said:
I sincerely mean no disrespect and applaud your efforts. However to conduct your own ballistic tests using wet news print and then passing them off on a public or private forum is irresponsible at best. Any one of the self defense rounds tested would work as well as the next if the shooter did his part.

FBI protocol calls for PROPERLY calibrated 10% ballistic gelatin for testing. Acceptable pentration is 12 inches. 18 inches even better. 10% gelatin more closely resembles human tissue than any other test medium. Newsprint, phone books, water jugs, etc are not considered as being accurate or realistic for testing.

In other independant tests using 10% gelatin Corbon 115gr 9MM DPX penetrated 16 inches after going through 4 layers of denim and 18 inches after penetrating 2 layers of 16 guage steel.
Irresponsible at best? That's a new one.

I don't proclaim my wetpack tests to be anything other than what they are.

However, my wetpacks do provide a consistent medium to test loads side by side.

I'm not getting paid by the FBI, so I don't have to follow their protocol.

I have done other ballistic testing also; but I've come around to using wetpacks most of the time now.

I also find that my results correlate strongly with most ballistic gel tests.

It's really simple to me. If you don't trust my testing, then don't use the info.

Take them for what they are.

But it's interesting that the top performers in my tests are the same top performers that come up in gel test after gel test.

Could you please provide links to these independent tests you posted about with the DPX?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.