MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know, have somebody else shoot it, probably an issue of my trigger control.
Who cares, I like to hit what I'm aiming at.
They make adjustable sights for a reason, I can't do much about elevation except stick the front sight post slightly above the rear notch.
But I can do something about windage.

Maybe I'll get better as time goes on and the POI will shift, then again maybe not, but in the meantime...

Where's that sledge hammer!

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Personal opinion: Better to learn trigger control, which leads to improved accuracy, than to misalign the sights to approximate an ever changing center of chaos.

Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Reactions: Rick M and RobzGunz

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personal opinions welcomed.

At 21 feet my groups are only slightly left and only slightly low, most times.
More than adequate for this firearms intended purpose.

But at 25 yards, I'm missing the majority of tin cans by a few inches left, and that is frustrating.
I'm a plinker, and this is an excellent lightweight pistol for carry in the woods.

I don't think I'd miss an attacking black bear in close either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed my Trijicon night sights myself, and viewed from the top it appears that the front sight is sitting ever so slightly to the right.

Yea, it ain't me, it's the dang sights!

And I've never even seen a black bear around here, although they are present, and my neighbor did have an encounter with a mountain lion while walking his dog about 150 yards from my place.

Coyotes are quite abundant around here also, they seem to think nothing of strolling down the middle of the street.

Can't wait until Shields come out chambered in .30-06!

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you are constantly hitting low (assuming you are covering the bullseye with the front dot) there is something you can do to raise elevation. Start shooting a heavier grain bullet. The heavier, slower load will impact higher on the target.
If you are shooting a 9mm, going from a 115 or 124 grain to a 147 will get your groups hitting higher.

In .40, a 180 grain will impact higher on the target than a 155 or 165.
And with the .45, 230 grain will impact higher up than 185 or 200 grain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct, the slower bullet leaves the barrel later in the recoil arc.
In my case though, I'm already using a 180 grain .40 caliber bullet.

Don't get me wrong, we're not talking much lower impact in my case, and while I'm no Alvin York by any stretch of imagination I still do consider myself to be a pretty darn good shot.

My groups have always been tight with an accurized 1911 or other bullseye type handgun, so maybe I'm just asking too much from my Shield at 25 yards.

And sadly, my 62 year old eyes are losing their edge, but I'm still grouping good only, slightly left and low.

I have to constantly aim for the right edge of a tin can to score a solid hit, and if I didn't have night sights I'd simply shave a little at a time off the front sight until I obtained the desired elevation results.

Everybody's eyes are different, so one set of factory fixed sights can't cover all the bases.

Sounds like I just came up with a great excuse to head to my favorite plinking spot today!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I first thought it was my gun, then a Marine friend shot it and it was dead on. I watched what I was doing, and corrected it. I can easily hit the center of a 3 in. circle at 12 yds. I am now very consistent

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had a sight off by a teeny bit before. It drives you nuts until you get it adjusted properly!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I installed my Trijicon night sights myself, and viewed from the top it appears that the front sight is sitting ever so slightly to the right.

Yea, it ain't me, it's the dang sights!

And I've never even seen a black bear around here, although they are present, and my neighbor did have an encounter with a mountain lion while walking his dog about 150 yards from my place.

Coyotes are quite abundant around here also, they seem to think nothing of strolling down the middle of the street.

Can't wait until Shields come out chambered in .30-06!
Well, at least you know who installed the sights a bit off. :ROFLMAO:

Some of us like to check stuff like that before we put the tools away...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Personal opinions welcomed.

At 21 feet my groups are only slightly left and only slightly low, most times.
More than adequate for this firearms intended purpose.

But at 25 yards, I'm missing the majority of tin cans by a few inches left, and that is frustrating.
I'm a plinker, and this is an excellent lightweight pistol for carry in the woods.

I don't think I'd miss an attacking black bear in close either.
Have a friend who is a good shooter try it. That should answer whether it is you or the pistol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to that target, looks like I may have too little trigger finger.

Who cares, I ain't Annie Oakley, and as long as I mess up the same way, every time, and the bullet goes where I want it to go, I'm happy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmm, I never thought of a shield as being a "plinking gun" and I'd never try a 25 yard shot in public, with people around, in a self-defense situation. IMO, maybe you're expecting too much from that pistol. It was designed to be a compact CCW pistol, for close shots (5-21 feet).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, I never thought of a shield as being a "plinking gun" and I'd never try a 25 yard shot in public..
[/QUOTE}

I'm not in public,I'm out in the middle of the sticks, with a safe backstop.

And they make great "plinking guns." IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts