MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it sounds like i dont know what im talking about....its probably because i dont.

I got my 9c in Feb and took the CHL class (should be getting my license in a couple days) and passed with a 100% and 248/250....*cough* 28 degrees and wind blowing 25-30 mph *cough*

Now to the Q's

I mainly just want to carry it in my truck on trips and when im out hunting/fishing. I dont plan on carrying it around every where i go.

What do yall think is the holster i should choose? This is my first handgun ever so i have no idea of where to even start. I went to academy sports and it was so confusing i just left. If someone has a link/idea of where to go that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd call Milt Sparks and order a Versa Max II. It is an in the waist band holster. I have two, one for my 4" 1911 and one for my SIG P229. You'll likely have to wait several weeks, if not months, to get it, but it's the finest IWB holster I've seen. In the meantime, get yourself a Desantis Speed holster. It is an outside the waist band holster, but with a long untucked shirt it will likely work great.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Brian, welcome to the site... The question is too you, why would you go through all that time and expense, not to carry ALL the time? Doesn't make sense to me that you want to protect yourself half the time. Either way you need to check with your local and state laws in regards to inside waist band (IWB) and outside waist band (OWB) holsters. If you decide to carry, you need try a couple on and get a feel for what you like to wear and wear comfortably. I don't want to rub you the wrong way, but I want you to reconsider why you are concealed carry and the reason's before you carry only half the time. When you need it the most, will that be your carry day, or not?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies Morgan, BMR and Yukon

I had planned to have it with me in my truck all the time and when im at my house and that be the only time.

After looking at the holsters that BMR posted and what MorganWalker said its made me think about carrying all the time/most of the time because I didnt know about IWB until today. Ive been lookin at them for about 2 hours. I never knew that you were able to tuck a shirt in while being concealed.....guess I never thought that it would work without everyone knowing. In the summer i wear shorts and a tucked in shirt so i didnt think i would be able to carry it all the time. I live in Texas and you have to have it completely concealed (isnt it Arizona where you can wear it for everyone to see?). BTW morgan you said the same thing that my instructor said, almost word for word about it being my carry day or not.......great minds think alike huh?

I think the IWB is what i need to look more into getting. I love the Versa Max 2. It just might be a little out of my price range.....but it by far the nicest one that i have seen so i might just spend the extra $40 for it and have a good one for a long time. I think i just talked myself into it.....geez thanks BMR for making me spend more money.

Any other favorite IWB that you guys have?

Thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
brian, I also live in TX and wear shorts and a t-shirt (except this weekend, as it was actually in the 30's!) when I'm not at work. With the VMII, in order to tuck in your shirt, you have to use the Kydex clips, which replace the leather loops. They cost about $20.

I tried a set with my Kimber 4" 1911 and found that it looks like the gun prints too much, and that is with one of the flattest guns made. So, I sent the clips back and resigned myself to wearing my t-shirt untucked, even though it totally goes against my grain to walk around with an untucked shirt.

You may find it works out differently for you, so you might want to give the clips a try. Worst case, you will be out a few bucks for shipping. You need to call Milt Sparks first, though, and order your holster. They will not charge your card until it ships, which likely will be a few months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Brian,

I've had my 40c for about a month, my CWP for about two months. Holsters for the 9c and 40c are very similar, to my understanding. I have done a lot of online searching for holsters. I would recommend looking at High Noon Holsters.

I am wearing their Skinguard OWB, which I ordered and received in five days. I also ordered their Tailgunner IWB, which is custom-made, taking 12-15 weeks.

I like High Noon's goods for several reasons. One, they offer holsters with and without a thumb-break ( a retention strap). Two, the holsters without the thumb-break have adjustable tension to retain the gun. Three, their prices and service are excellent. I strongly recommend you check out their website: highnoonholsters.com

There is not "one" perfect holster. As you already are, you must consider climate, your preferred style of dress, your specific weapon, etc. I found the web-forums very helpful to further my education.

I also agree with Morgan. A permit to carry concealed is an awesome responsibility. I would hate to have the permit and be caught in a "situation" without a gun. I carry everywhere I'm allowed by law. To do this, I had to educate myself to my state (VA) and Federal laws regulating carry. There are several good websites for this information (Packing.org is one, or do a Google search for "concealed carry").

I also joined the NRA and the Virginia Citizens Defense League, as there are some (many?) who would like nothing better than to take my gun off my hip. As I see it, the writers of the Constitution trust me, some 220 yrs later, to use my handgun with restraint, only in the most dire situations. The Anti-gunners don't trust me. If I want to keep the trust given me in the Constitution, I must be politically active to protect that right.

Concealed carry is a process, involving many factors. I recommend the book "Combat Handgunnery" by Massad Ayoob as a good beginning. Ayoob is "The Man" when it comes to defensive use of a handgun. He also runs Lethal Force Institute (check out their website).

I hope the information is helpful. Mostly it reflects the research I have done to educate myself these last six months or so.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
brian said:
Thanks for the replies Morgan, BMR and Yukon

I had planned to have it with me in my truck all the time and when im at my house and that be the only time.

After looking at the holsters that BMR posted and what MorganWalker said its made me think about carrying all the time/most of the time because I didnt know about IWB until today. Ive been lookin at them for about 2 hours. I never knew that you were able to tuck a shirt in while being concealed.....guess I never thought that it would work without everyone knowing. In the summer i wear shorts and a tucked in shirt so i didnt think i would be able to carry it all the time. I live in Texas and you have to have it completely concealed (isnt it Arizona where you can wear it for everyone to see?). BTW morgan you said the same thing that my instructor said, almost word for word about it being my carry day or not.......great minds think alike huh?

I think the IWB is what i need to look more into getting. I love the Versa Max 2. It just might be a little out of my price range.....but it by far the nicest one that i have seen so i might just spend the extra $40 for it and have a good one for a long time. I think i just talked myself into it.....geez thanks BMR for making me spend more money.

Any other favorite IWB that you guys have?

Thanks again

Brian, where at in Texas I usually make a trip to San Antonio, via Houston every month. If your close lets go shoot.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Morgan Walker said:
Brian, where at in Texas I usually make a trip to San Antonio, via Houston every month. If your close lets go shoot.

I'm living in Lubbock right now and am moving to Dallas in May after i graduate from Texas Tech. Well, i want to move to Dallas but i could end up getting a job in Houston or Oklahoma City....not sure yet.

I am thinking about getting the VM2. I haven't seen one person say anything bad about it so i figured everyone couldn't be wrong and it just looks awesome. I called all of Milt Sparks dealers to see if they had any in-stock and they didn't. I'll be buying a cheaper one to hold me over till I get the VM2.....unless i find another i like better.

I am going to look at the High Noon Holsters and those links tomorrow (too much homework tonight). Thanks 40.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My albeit limited exposure to leather holsters has led me to consider kydex to be the superior product for a beginner. The issue I've seen with leather is that, until broken in, it can act like a chinese finger trap making it next to impossible to draw from. Before the cannons start shooting my way let me say that given enough time and effort to break them in they can be fine but it takes some time.

Kydex on the other hand is ready to go out of the box, tends to be significantly cheaper, and is often time much quicker to be in your hands.

As for a suggestion on where to go, may I suggest "supporting your local sheriff?" Comp-Tac is an excellent brand with incredible customer service and turn around time. To top it off they are located in Texas. If you're going to be sticking with just truck and home carry may I suggest a paddle holster? If you are going to carry full time I would suggest checking out either the infidel in a shirt tucker configuration or the CTAC. Either of which should be at your door about 3 days after you place the order (at least that's been my experience and I live in Oregon!) Another favorite is the Bladetech UCH.

Just my .02

MC

·
Registered
78 Posts
The VM2 is a great holster. I just got mine for my Sig P239 and have one on order for my M&Pc. The current wait is about 16-22 weeks. I have about 2-3 months to go

I cannot stress this next part enough...Get A Good Belt! Yourr normal dress belt will not support the weight of the pistol. I got mine from the beltman. Sorry I don't have a URL but do a google search. They are very high quality and don't cost as much as many others out there. I think there turn around time was about 2 weeks.

Yukon - Please make sure to post picks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts