MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I bought a used M&P 40 locally that had already had the full bowie treatment done to it, I fell in love with it after shooting it, and traded in my steyr M40-A1.

here's a picture, I bought the ctc grips afterwards and stippled them myself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/6nusegj.jpg

I've put about 300 rounds through the gun, and while i was cleaning it after shooting this morning noticed a crack on one of the slide rails.

I'll have to make a few phone calls to see what my options are.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
This is the second one I've seen.

FWIW, I'm going to offer my 2 cents to say that I don't like the use of Bowie's name in this thread. He may have done some work on it, but nothing that would affect the slide in that way. I'm not saying that you're suggesting he is somehow responsible for this, but the fact that he may have worked on the trigger (or whatever) is irrelevant to this issue and I hate to see his name attached to this type of problem.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think he only mentioned that the pistol had been modified by Bowie simply because he is concerned that this will void the warranty with S&W. I don't think he was trying to imply Bowie's work had caused the problem itself.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
snscott said:
I think he only mentioned that the pistol had been modified by Bowie simply because he is concerned that this will void the warranty with S&W. I don't think he was trying to imply Bowie's work had caused the problem itself.
I don't mean to make a big deal of this and I don't think he's blaming bowie as I said. I"m just sticking up for him not wanting to see his name attached to this problem.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i agree with both sides of the secondary mention. I do agree that the reader used the bowie name as means of detail in description, and NOT in a controversial way.

however, I also agree with choochboost... the WAY the name was put in there, especially in the TITLE, led me to think that i was about to open a "bowie complaint". once i read it, i knew differently... there was an unintentional mislead in the "packaging".

the title should have read "cracked slide on my M&P .40"... then, in describing the cool used gun you fell in love with, a bowie work mention would have seemed less implicative.

anyway, enough of "Composition 101", and back to the point.

300 rounds didnt do that to your gun. period. there's only 3 options here...

1) S&W didnt notice a weak area (imperfection) on one of their slides at the factory.

2) the original owner of the gun, abused it and treated it like piss. he liked the gun enough to put money into Bowie's work for it... so maybe he dishonestly sold it to the shop, because he sensed something was about to go wrong with it... leaving the next owner with the problems.

3) when you are not at the range, you use your slide as a hammer during household remodeling. lol.

obviously number 3 was a joke. it comes down to either S&W let an oversight go through... or the gun dealer sold you a gun he didnt realize was in a compromised condition.

so, one or the other needs to replace or reimburse. good luck with the gun dealer... he's likely to just put the blame on you. to absolve himself of any responsibility.

contact smith & wesson... tell them that your slide cracked after very little use. if you're concerned about "warrantees" and stuff... the handle has nothing to do with the slide.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Would you be willing to share the serial number of your gun . . . ?

Does anyone know if S&W has a different serial number range for 9s vs. 40s? If all guns just fall within one series of numbers, it may be interesting to compare the serial number of this gun against the serial number of the 9mm in the other thread.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
texagun said:
One MP9 and one MP40. Both guns cracked at exactly the same place. I wonder how many more of these we will see.
Interesting that both showed up in the same week.

onebohemian said:
Would you be willing to share the serial number of your gun
His serial number is MPL3585.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The good news is that out of thousand of these guns produced and in the hands of law enforcement, competitive shooters, and other high-round count shooters, we has seen only 2 instances of this type of failure. As I recall, Glock also had a run of G30's that had a bad batch of frame rails that cracked and failed. I had (and still have) one of them, sent it off to Glock and had the frame replaced at no charge and the gun is still going strong to this day. Hopefully this problem with the MP's will be a very isolated problem with a very few guns.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i think everybody is probably pulling the slide off there m&p right now and inspecting it. i know i did... hope this doesnt become an issue for S&W, it could get pretty expensive replacing whole slides

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fixed the title, as I agree it seems to imply the wrong thing.

The previous owner of the gun was a local LEO, and a "known variable"; the gun was extremely well taken care of.

I called the gun shop where I purchased the pistol and the owner is not only taking care of everything with S&W himself, but I can also utilize any of his rental guns on the indoor range free of charge while my M&P is out for repairs. Two thumbs way up

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Would like to know how close the serial numbers are of these guns. 10k plus thru mine and the slide looks new.

·
Registered
65 Posts
MISTERgadget said:

The previous owner of the gun was a local LEO, and a "known variable"; the gun was extremely well taken care of.

I called the gun shop where I purchased the pistol and the owner is not only taking care of everything with S&W himself, but I can also utilize any of his rental guns on the indoor range free of charge while my M&P is out for repairs. Two thumbs way up

Good to hear. Just went and checked mine, like others here have... everything is fine with mine.

I hope you weren't planning on this gun for your carry gun or home protection fire arm. If so... he should give you a loaner while your gun is getting fixed!

·
Registered
387 Posts
PatM&P said:
i think everybody is probably pulling the slide off there m&p right now and inspecting it. i know i did... hope this doesnt become an issue for S&W, it could get pretty expensive replacing whole slides

i didn't even get to your post until, i checked my slide, washed my hands

then finished this thread. lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
i'm even confused looking which part of plastic is cracking.

its like ran over by a tsunami. must be steel impurities creating

air bubbles and definitely batch problem...lots of it just waiting to

happen!!!tsk tsk
just kidding. :wink:who really knows it happened to

boeng DC10

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well its been a long time since I have sent the broken slide off to S&W. I sent it off on the 30th of November using next day air UPS. Today is the 27th and still have not recieved it yet. I'm guessing the holidays are really slowing things down for UPS.

I havent been on in a while and am surprised to see that there is another broken slide like mine in the exact location. I don't know the serial number on my slide but it may be in the case the gun came with. Hopefully when the new one comes in t will have some type of design improvement.

·
Registered
370 Posts
MISTERgadget said:

Sorry to hear about your slide. That is a beautiful looking pistol. Atleast the shop owner is willing to take care of you. I doubt S&W will give you or him any greif. They have to expect some will customize their guns. Good Luck.

·
Registered
936 Posts
was the slide melted?

has it always had the stock recoil spring?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts