MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you leftys have tried the CT lasergrips. CT says they work for both right AND left handers but I remember sometime back I was looking at some at the gunshop mounted to a G17 bluegun. I could easily active the laser with my left hand no problem, but it seemed like the thumb of my right hand (when used in a high thumbs forward grip) was blocking the laser. I haven't tried one on an M&P but can't imagine its any different. Changing my grip isn't an option. I really like the Lasergrip but just wish they made one specifically for us leftys.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am not a "Lefty" but I just tried out a left handed grip on my M&P 45 with the CT. My hand is about medium size and there was no way I could grip the gun and have my thumb any where near the business end of the laser. Activation was flawless.

I actually have just the opposite problem with them. When I grip the gun with my right hand, my trigger finger rests on the slide and blocks the laser. Repositioning my trigger finger so that it rests along the groove between the slide and frame clears the laser, but does not feel natural. The laser is also positioned wrong for drawing from my Blackhawk Serpa holster. My finger placement for drawing from the holster is very natural and requires no extra thought on my part, but I end up with my finger blocking the laser. Not really a big issue for me, as I don't rely on the laser for acquiring the target, but it is a bit of a bother.

I guess I would like to see a grip laser for lefties as well, except I would use it on my right hand gun...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tsix said:
I am not a "Lefty" but I just tried out a left handed grip on my M&P 45 with the CT. My hand is about medium size and there was no way I could grip the gun and have my thumb any where near the business end of the laser. Activation was flawless.

Thanks for the reply. Activation worked for me as well...my LEFT thumb wasn't in the way. It was when I got a purchase with my RIGHT support hand and point both thumbs at the target, it was inline with the laser. I'm holding my gun right now. The pad of my right hand is on the right back/side of the grip and my right thumb runs parallel with the barrel right were the laser would be. Would you mind trying it like this?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
293 Posts
The key question is, "Does the laser project at the bottom of the slide or the top of the polymer frame?"

If it projects anywhere at "slide height", I believe my thumbs forward grip would fall under the beam, as my right thumb presses against the polymer frame. I try to avoid having my thumb on the slide if possible.

Below "slide height" would probably pose a problem with my right thumb. I'd really like to know!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Where or where does the beam project?

The key question is, "Does the laser project at the bottom of the slide or the top of the polymer frame?"

If it projects anywhere at "slide height", I believe my thumbs forward grip would fall under the beam, as my right thumb presses against the polymer frame. I try to avoid having my thumb on the slide if possible.

Below "slide height" would probably pose a problem with my right thumb. I'd really like to know!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Where or where does the beam project?

cet said:

This photo from the MP store might answer your question. I think the only way leftys could make it work is to NOT use a thumb forward grip OR float the thumbs out farther away from the pistol. The you have the issue of what lefty holsters will fit...you'll have the laser sticking into your side.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Okay, checked the grip two handed...one of those "DUH' moments...why didn't I do that the first time.

You are correct about the right thumb. Unless you work to keep it out of the way, the thumb is gonna block the laser. Wish I knew how to post the picture into the thread, but here is the best I can do for you. Edit...this is my .45...Edit #2...Fixed Pic.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Crimson Trace Corp hates left-handers!

OK, not really. But this is something that's been raised many times. While I can't speak for CTC, I think it's about economy of scale. The percentage of left handed shooters is small; the percentage of shooters who use a proper (thumbs-forward) grip is small; the percentage of left-handed shooters using that grip is a very, very small percentage of the gun-buying public.

Designing the grips to work "opposite" isn't necessarily as easy as it sounds. Many guns have completely different internals on the left vice right side. Think about a SIG ... how would a left-hand laser work in conjunction with the decocking mechanism? Also, the cost to make a new set of molds is pretty high ... recouping that much money would require selling a lot more grips than they do now.

Don't get me wrong, I really wish they would address the issue. And I'm right handed! But on the list of priorities, I think it's pretty far down.

CTC has their own forum (at forums.crimsontrace.com, predictably) and may be the only company in the industry with better customer service than S&W. Join the forum and voice your opinion.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T6 ...thanks for the photo. Same thing I experienced (my grip is actually even higher). Is it possible to put the thumb pad of your right hand on the laser diode hump itself and float the thumb parallel to the slide but not touching (creating space for the laser to shine through)?

Todd...I hear what you're saying and you are right on. Just reality of economics. Leftys get left out of the fun on alot of products. When I was in grade school I even had to get by with standard scissors.

Looks like I'll have to wait for Lasermax.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ArnisAndyz said:
T6 ...Is it possible to put the thumb pad of your right hand on the laser diode hump itself and float the thumb parallel to the slide but not touching (creating space for the laser to shine through)?

Yes, this is possible. At one time my right thumb (shooting right handed) actually rode along on top of my left thumb (thumbs forward) when shooting. This would work very well with the CT for a left handed shooter, maybe even help with recoil if you did it correctly (using the hump of the laser as leverage). Using a left hand grip, my left thumb actually rests on the "hump", if your grip is higher, I would guess your thumb would be just above the hump. However, I think it may cause interference with the action of the slide??? I will check it out when I get a chance. Interesting thought though...

Not so sure about adjusting your weak hand grip (thumb) to accommodate the laser, but I think it would be clear of the light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts