MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

The wife has approached me again this year about what I want for Christmas. I started thinking and the thoughts of the Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my .40 really sounds nice. With this, I am seeking some input from you guys...do you think they are worth it or are they bells and whistles that are more polish than effective?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Joe

GO WVU!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If your M&P will be used for home defense/personal protection in low or no light conditions then I absolutely recommend them. If you're just plinking and shooting at paper targets then no, I would not recommend them.

Fighting at night where there is little or no light is very difficult. Night sights help and so does a light like a X200 or a TLR but the biggest bang for your dollar is the Crimson Trace grips. I'm was sold on them after I struggled and completely fell apart in a low light class. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn while C4iGrant was shooting better with his Crimson Trace equipped 1911 than he had shot previously that day!

Since I was utterly disgusted and demoralized I decided to see what the CT grips were all about and C4 let me shoot his. My first three shots were all in the black and every shot from that magazine found the target! I was sold right then and there.

I run a set of CTs on my G19 but the way they replace the back strap on the M&P is even more desirable for me since I have small hands. As soon as mine get here my M&P will be my nightstand/bump in the night gun home defense gun. Which means I'll have to get a compact to carry :wink:

C4's M&P is set up exactly how mine will be when my CT grips arrive: Night Fighting M&P

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I keep CTs on both of my 1911s. As long as you think through how you will use them in a SD situation I think that they are almost must have. My only concern with using them on the M&P is the size. Some say they are half way in between the medium and large backstraps. That's way too big for my small hands.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
sholling said:
I keep CTs on both of my 1911s. As long as you think through how you will use them in a SD situation I think that they are almost must have. My only concern with using them on the M&P is the size. Some say they are half way in between the medium and large backstraps. That's way too big for my small hands.

I hope that isn't the case for me but the overall circumference of the grip is bound to be smaller than my G19 with the CT grips. On the Glocks they just wrap around the grip; at least on the M&P they fit into the cut out for the backstrap. <fingers>

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the CT grips on my S&W 642, and plan to get a set for my M&P9. They enable me to hit the target while moving, hit a moving target, shoot from unusual positions, hit a target without wearing my corrective lenses. They have never given me a problem in two years of use. I change the batteries once a year, even though the old ones still work fine. I have used them in bright sun, total darkness, and even in the rain, without a problem. They work great....and they drive the cat nuts!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There are countless benefits to having Lasergrips. But they are not a panacea. It's one more piece of equipment and one more "technique" you need to learn and practice.

Are they worth it? Absolutely. I have them on every gun I carry and have been using them for about ten years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gang! I should have mentioned that yes my gun is for home defense. I really appreciate the posts. For the first time in since I was a child, I cannot wait for Christmas!

Joe

·
Registered
172 Posts
Today was my first day out with the M&P9 and the CT grips. The grips replace the backstrap, which makes for an easy installation. The upside is you can go from the normal backstrap to the CT backstrap in no time. The CT backstrap is comfortable and seems to have a bit more bulge than the M&P backstraps. The downside is that if you don't like the size you can't change it and keep the laser.

Mine came out of the box aligned about 8" high at 15 yards. It took a few rounds to adjust it to target center. The adjustments are easy, but you don't have any reference on how much you adjusted them. Once "bore sighted" the laser made target acquisition easy and accurate. Then the sky went from overcast to sunny and the laser was very hard to see.

Overall, it is easy to install and easy to operate: turn it on and squeeze the grip and you have light. It's very nice for low-light situations. The laser is quite visible at 25 yards if the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the CT grips on my MP 45 and my Browning High Power. They work well on the HP but the design, fit and function for the MP is amazing. The only problem with receiving these as a Christmas present is that you have to wait a whole month before you get to play with them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
greener said:
Today was my first day out with the M&P9 and the CT grips. The grips replace the backstrap, which makes for an easy installation. The upside is you can go from the normal backstrap to the CT backstrap in no time. The CT backstrap is comfortable and seems to have a bit more bulge than the M&P backstraps. The downside is that if you don't like the size you can't change it and keep the laser.

Mine came out of the box aligned about 8" high at 15 yards. It took a few rounds to adjust it to target center. The adjustments are easy, but you don't have any reference on how much you adjusted them. Once "bore sighted" the laser made target acquisition easy and accurate. Then the sky went from overcast to sunny and the laser was very hard to see.

Overall, it is easy to install and easy to operate: turn it on and squeeze the grip and you have light. It's very nice for low-light situations. The laser is quite visible at 25 yards if the sun don't shine.

Pretty good post here on the installation, alignment, etc. of the grip out of the box. The only thing I have experienced different from this is the visibility in sunlight. I live in Florida, so sunlight could be a big issue with lasers. I found my CT to be very easy to pick up in high sunlight environment, as bright as any laser, and more bright than most. However, I don't use the laser for target aquisition (sp?) in daylight anyway, so this is not a problem for me. I agree with ToddG on this. It is one more tool in the tool box. I highly recommend it. YMMV!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just ordered crimson trace for my new M&P 9mm. I can't wait to try them out. I have been using the large grip so hopefully the bulge in the middle of the CT will feel about the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not a fan of laser sights on handguns but it seems that lot of people here like them. My only recommedation is please don't train using the laser all the time. Don't let your iron sight skills degenerate because you look for the laser dot all the time.

Gringop

·
Registered
47 Posts
I plan on getting a set for my Kimber 1911 and my MP 45. However, my MP 45 has the ambi safety. I need to grind the right side off, or find some one competent to do the job properly.

I first handled the CT laser sights that were mounted on several guns at the last NRA convention. I was impressed, although I have never shot my pistols with them mounted.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
gringop said:
I'm not a fan of laser sights on handguns but it seems that lot of people here like them. My only recommedation is please don't train using the laser all the time. Don't let your iron sight skills degenerate because you look for the laser dot all the time.

Absolutely correct. I shoot somewhere between 10-20% of my practice with the laser on, depending on the time of year. I practice with it less when building up towards a match (where lasers are illegal) and more when I have time to focus on "real" shooting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts