MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the benefits shooting where I shoot is that one of our RSOs has a daytime job at Crimson Trace.

This weekend he brought in an engineering prototype of the LG-660. This is the 1st Lasergrip to incorporate the new 3mm laser diode. It also uses a new type of on/off switch located below the activation switch. Rather than a slide switch, this one is a button-type switch. Press it once, the unit is energized. Press it again, the unit is off.

As you can see in the illustration below:

the laser grip simply replaces the interchangeable grip panel. It is installed in the same manner one would use to switch grip sizes. The LG-660 will be available in one size, replacing the MEDIUM sized grip. The unit uses two CR-2032 button cells for power.

Use of the laser grip is intuitive. Power the unit on by drepessing the on/off swtich. Once the unit is energized, grip the weapon as you would normally. Standard grip pressure on the backstrip will activate the laser. In cases where you would prefer not to be lasing away, modify your grip slightly so that the laser does not activate. I find this easier to accomplish with this unit than with the LG-617 (for Glocks 17, 22, 24, 31, 34, 35, and 37).

The new 3mm laser diode gives this unit an advantage for left-handed shooters. If you are of the sinister persuasion and have had the opportunity to fire a pistol with CT grips installed, you may have encountered some discomfort where the diode housing rubs against the knuckle of your strong side thumb. The smaller diode does not require such a large housing and the decrease in size is sigificant. I encountered none of the irritation I had with the Glock unit. This is a Good Thing.

Current 3mm diodes are producing an aiming dot that is larger than the one produced by the 5mm diodes. This may or may not be desirable. Still, I found the nice bright red dot that this unit produces leaves no doubt as to where you are aiming. This dot may be all that is necessary to resolve the problem. Secondly, the reduced housing size should allow you to use your current holster without modification.

There is a small change in grip geometry, caused by the need to accommodate the batteries. I find that this change acutally improves my ability to grip the weapon.

All in all this unit looks like a great implementation for the M&P. At present it seems that the 660 will fit the full-sized 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .45 ACP models. I haven't heard if a model for the Compact M&Ps is under development. I would not be surprised to learn if one were.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Nice to have an inside track sometimes!

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
to bad we dont have a prototype on hand to test. I was told that the prototype is a non shootable version.

I'll try to get one to test for the forums when they start coming out.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jester said:
too bad we don't have a prototype on hand to test. I was told that the prototype is a non shootable version.

Dear Jester,

The unit I examined was an "SLA" (Stereo Lithography Apparatus) prototype. It is more of a proof-of-concept first attempt. This unit was the one taken to the SHOT Show. (CT wanted to see if it would fit the M&P.45. It did.
) I was given the opportunity to take a few test shots with it, but deferred. Apparently this unit can be fired, but SLAs don't hold up well to repeated usage. My friend is taking it to S&W on Monday for an upcoming Dog&Pony show. I wanted it to be in perfect shape for the trip.

Later this spring I should have the opportunity to test fire a manufacturing prototype. That unit will be made to the same standards and of the same materials as retail product.

I will keep the board posted as to what I learn, if you wish.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Sure thing, I also have some hands in the bowl, but not nearly as informed as you.

E

·
0 Posts
Wow, how do I reserve one? Really wish they are making one for the large size grip, though.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The final copy will have some changes from the prototype you seen. There will be some switching changes to make it even better. the folks at Crimson trace are really using some input from a few people to make this one heck of a unit. That's all I can say now.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eddo36 said:
Wow, how do I reserve one? Really wish they are making one for the large size grip, though.

Dear Mr. 36,

You may find that the change in grip geometry mandated by the accomodation of the batteries may make this grip useful to you even if you prefer the large grip. When the unit is released, go check it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
83 Posts
PSTC

You wouldn't happen to be referring to a certain someone at the PSTC would you? If you are I'm extremely dissapointed he didn't let me know he was bringing it as I asked him to!

MC

PSTC Coach

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blastard said:
is there a way to sight it in?

i'm getting a little shaky in my old age - does it have electronic stabilization? :wink:

Dear Mr. blastard,

Each unit contains an instruction booklet and two adjustment wrenches. The wrench is an Allen type, about two to two and an half inches in length. It is of a very small 'diameter'. There are two adjustment holes - one on the top and one on the side of the diode housing.

It is really easy to adjust if you don't like the factory sighting (of 50 ft.) You can do it in one shot if you have a friend help.

Set the target at the distance you wish. From a rest, light up the laser, aim at the center of the bullseye and fire one round. Keep the laser illuminating and continue to hold rock-steady. Have your friend use the wrench to move the laser dot to cover the bullet hole. That's it.

E

·
0 Posts
sablair said:
[quote name='Eddo36']Wow, how do I reserve one? Really wish they are making one for the large size grip, though.

Dear Mr. 36,

You may find that the change in grip geometry mandated by the accomodation of the batteries may make this grip useful to you even if you prefer the large grip. When the unit is released, go check it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.[/quote]

Well the modified medium grip may or may not fit my hand. What I do know is that the large grip fits my hand perfectly. And wouldn't it be easier to make a unit for the large handgrip, since the large grip is big enough in volume to house the battery/system without much modifications to make space?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The issue CT faces is putting out a product that the majority will find fits their need. A large majority of M&P owners prefer the medium grip, myself included. It would be unfeasable for CT to release a model for each grip size even if it would be very nice indeed.

MC

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
walkingbush said:
The issue CT faces is putting out a product that the majority will find fits their need. A large majority of M&P owners prefer the medium grip, myself included. It would be unfeasable for CT to release a model for each grip size even if it would be very nice indeed.

MC

What he said.

SAB

E

·
0 Posts
A high percentage of people use the other size grips.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=718

But if the company is interested in getting only 2/5 the business then the over 60% of M&P owners who does not find medium grip accomodating to them will just find a different product from a different company. Shrugs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eddo36 said:
A high percentage of people use the other size grips.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=718

But if the company is interested in getting only 2/5 the business then the over 60% of M&P owners who does not find medium grip accomodating to them will just find a different product from a different company. Shrugs.

[OPINION]

If costs constrain the company to produce but a single size, then, by the survey cited above, the choice to produce a medium sized grip addresses the largest single segment of the market place.

[/OPINION]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are they going to make laser grips for the 9c?

I carry a m&P 9c for concealed carry. Is Crimson Trace going to make Laser Grips for the compact version?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Are they going to make laser grips for the 9c?

rattler357 said:
I carry a m&P 9c for concealed carry. Is Crimson Trace going to make Laser Grips for the compact version?

Dear Mr. 357,

My source at CTC, at times, can neither confirm nor deny certain rumours. The LG for the compact M&Ps is one of them.

[OPINION]

Once they work out the manufacturing for the full sized unit, they will be in a better position to address the compact unit. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that all efforts are going into the full-sized unit. Once that unit is in manufacturing, then they will revisit the compact version.

The time from the announcement of the LG-660 to its release will be greater that the time from the release of the full-sized LG-660 to the release of the Compact LG-660.

[/OPINION]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts