MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I carried my M&P9 in an IWB today and it was a harsh experience. The beaver tail kept digging into my side (it sticks up past the leather backing on the MTAC). I will be getting a "tail job" on mine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
toocool said:
Every time I read about this "high thumbs forward" grip I cringe. I've tried this grip under the watchful eye of several instructors, and can't hit the broad side of a barn holding a gun this way, nor do I find I get fast follow up shots or good gun control. I can't provide a photo right now, but I hold my handguns with my shooting hand thumb down and my support hand thumb over it. I think Massad Ayoob refers to this as the "crush" grip. I get better control of the gun, and faster follow up shots. I don't know why the thumbs forward works for others and not me, but I do not believe this should be advertised carte blanche as the "proper" way to hold a pistol.

You mean like this?

The text that goes with it:

The thumb-over-thumb grip is not used by any top shooter; however, its easy "learnability" and execution by new shooters makes it an excellent first grip for beginners.

More:

Brand-new shooters don't need a technique that allows the Nth degree of speed and precision; they need a technique that's easy to understand and execute, that will swiftly give them a decent level of performance.

Whatever floats your boat man. But you keep at the Leatham-Enos grip and you will shoot better and have more control. There is a reason Clint Smith and a host of others teach the "combat grip".

Read the article I linked in my post above. It's worth a few minutes of your time.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts