MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new shooter, I've been wondering about whether it would be good practice to cycle through my defensive loads on a regular basis. I just started, and have been keeping a mag loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, but at the range I either bring Blazer Brass 115 FMJ, or buy from the range. I'm considering, say once a month, cycling through a mag of the HCD so I always have a fresh box every couple of months. Is this good practice? More or less often?

Thx,
~Dave

·
Site Staff
9,603 Posts
It is a good practice. When I was a Deputy we were required to cycle our ammo every few months to keep it fresh.

Modern ammo is incredibly dependable, it can sit for years and still work perfectly, but if your life depends on it...do you really want to test those limits?

Reactions: MPDave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great article Coach, thanks. I guess one of my main concerns was that if I keep the gun loaded and chambered by the bedside, and locked in a safe if not carrying, but unchamber and unload when dry-fire practicing or going to the range, is there a likelihood of damage or setback. I guess every time the mag is removed and the chambered round ejected, that ejected round would not be reloaded into the mag with the new defensive rounds, but rather go into the rotation to be fired at the next range session. Does that make sense? I also think regular use of defensive rounds at the range is good to ensure familiarity with the type of ammo I may need to defend my life with. I guess if I do this often enough it could get expensive, but what price can I put on peace of mind?

~Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts