MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pleasure of having Dan do trigger work on both my M&P and 1911, sights on my Smith and some additional work on my Springer. We set up some time yesterday and he spent a few hours tuning both pistols.

What a hoot! We even test fired the guns outside his house in his driveway! He has 2 beautiful girls and a wonderful wife who didn't seem to mind his "customer" hanging around thier house.

He treated me like a friend rather than a customer and took his time making sure I got everything done that I wanted. What a fantastic experience. To be able to watch him work on my pistols with such precision was amazing. I was in awe the whole time.

I had to drive 3.5 hours each way to get to him but it was well worth the trip. And when the time comes that I need more work done, you can bet I'll be making that drive again.

If you ever get the chance to have Dan work on you pistol, don't hesitate! And I'm sure he'd welcome you by his shop/home as he did with me.

This industry needs more guys like Dan. I'm sold for life and will make sure that Dan works his magic on every pistol I own in the future.

Lastly, his prices are ridiculous, I'd sure pay him twice as much to do the same work, it's so fantastic to have someone want to work on your pistol rather than need to. He is a true craftsman.

I've included pics of him (I hope he doesn't mind)

Take care,

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture of the finished Pistol, it's for IDPA so it's as much as I could do, Dan's Trigger Job, S&W Night Sight, 10-8 Rear Sight and Sharkskin Grip.

Also, this is Dan's test fire grouping at 15 yards, obviously a marksman as well as gunsmith!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
m4arc said:
I need to get out of this area and move to a place where I can shoot in my driveway!

Funny story is I'm from Hawaii so wide open spaces are not at all common, especially at your own residence. I got there a little early and after calling him, he says he'll be right there but if I brought ammo, to go ahead and shoot some of his steel plates. Just plain crazy! I can't believe you could just shoot at your own home and not have to worry about neighbors or law enforcement troubling you. Very cool place to live!

Rob

·
Registered
910 Posts
My guns at his place right now getting a lot done, and I agree - his prices are great! Everyone loves his work, so I can't wait to get my gun back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sent him an email a couple days ago asking about some ballpark prices for a few things I'd like to have done to my new M&P, but unfortunately haven't heard anything back yet. I figure he's a pretty busy guy, so hopefully he'll have a few minutes to give me some information down the road.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I suggest you might want to resend your e-mail. It may have gone astray. I e-mailed Dan several times with questions and he had always gotten back to me within the hour.

I agree with the others. Very nice guy. Very helpful. He suggested that I shoot a few hundred rounds thought my new 9C to make sure everything is okay. Then I'm certainly sending it to him for at least the "trigger job".

BLACKJACK

·
Registered
7 Posts
He got back to me a bit after I posted here, it looks like I'm better off not having a few of the things I wanted to get done, and I'll likely just be putting some money aside for the real basics like a trigger job, and stainless polish with a teflon coat or something like that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
romeo,

Does Dan's trigger job get rid of the excessive pre-travel on the trigger??? I didn't have too much trouble getting used to the trigger on my MP9, and i'll have to shoot it a lot more before i consider getting any work done. But, I've looked at Bowie Tactical's website and he offers a Long and a Short option for the trigger job. I think i might like having the trigger engage right at the front of it's travel (more like a revolver) instead of towards the end (ala 1911).

Anyway, what i'm getting at is, how exactly does the trigger feel/operate after getting Dan to work it over?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
romeo oscar bravo said:
Here is a picture of the finished Pistol, it's for IDPA so it's as much as I could do, Dan's Trigger Job, S&W Night Sight, 10-8 Rear Sight and Sharkskin Grip.

Also, this is Dan's test fire grouping at 15 yards, obviously a marksman as well as gunsmith!

Damn, thats a nice group. :twisted:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chefdog said:
romeo,

Does Dan's trigger job get rid of the excessive pre-travel on the trigger??? I didn't have too much trouble getting used to the trigger on my MP9, and i'll have to shoot it a lot more before i consider getting any work done. But, I've looked at Bowie Tactical's website and he offers a Long and a Short option for the trigger job. I think i might like having the trigger engage right at the front of it's travel (more like a revolver) instead of towards the end (ala 1911).

Anyway, what i'm getting at is, how exactly does the trigger feel/operate after getting Dan to work it over?

Thanks for any info.

There is still pre-travel, but I like it that way, it does feel much smoother instead of the scratchy/gritty feeling you get with the stock trigger. The pull is also much lighter. He may be able to eliminate the pre-travel for you if that's what you want, just email or call him.

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks Rob,

I guess i should just go right to the source, it sounds like Dan is out to please his customers. I know most of you guys are aiming at a more 1911ish trigger, but I've only ever shot a 1911 a couple of times. The majority of my shooting up until now has been with revolvers and my father's sig sauers, so i guess my finger is just used to that firmer takeup. I'm on my way out the door to the range now to put in a little more trigger time and see if i really need to get anything done.

Thanks for the reply,

jake

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chefdog said:
I'm on my way out the door to the range now to put in a little more trigger time and see if i really need to get anything done.

Thanks for the reply,

jake

Jake,

Try to notice how the pre-travel is gritty, this is at the very least annoying and should be resolved. I dry fired (with a A-Zoom) cap and found that there is a bit of pretravel but smooth throughout, I'd be hard pressed to see if it's possible to replicate a revolver in the the trigger load, since the revolver has to take up the cylinder roll. I shoot my 1911 mostly so your comments are dead on for me. I like the pretravel because I can sense the trigger "snap" better. I hope you get what you want out of the M&P, it's a great pistol for the price and with a little work, because a premium firearm. Take care.

Rob

·
Registered
763 Posts
ROb,

I sent Dan an email today with a few of the same questions i posted here. He responded very quickly and with answers that were to the point and made sense. The pretravel is necessary due to the trigger safety (i hadn't considered that) and i understand that reducing overtravel and getting a smooth, clean trigger is the most important aspect of having a pistol capable of good accuracy (assuming i do my part). It was great talking to him.

I just got back from the range and put 150 more rounds through my pistol. While i'm still having some low/left problems (i know it's me) i tried to pay a little more attention to the trigger action. And when i really thought about it, while shooting i didn't notice the pretravel whatsoever. I guess i need to forget what i thought i knew and focus on learning how to shoot this gun properly.

Thanks for all the help.

Jake

·
Registered
55 Posts
chefdog said:
ROb,

I sent Dan an email today with a few of the same questions i posted here. He responded very quickly and with answers that were to the point and made sense. The pretravel is necessary due to the trigger safety (i hadn't considered that) and i understand that reducing overtravel and getting a smooth, clean trigger is the most important aspect of having a pistol capable of good accuracy (assuming i do my part). It was great talking to him.

I just got back from the range and put 150 more rounds through my pistol. While i'm still having some low/left problems (i know it's me) i tried to pay a little more attention to the trigger action. And when i really thought about it, while shooting i didn't notice the pretravel whatsoever. I guess i need to forget what i thought i knew and focus on learning how to shoot this gun properly.

Thanks for all the help.

Jake

I had the same problem, but only to the right.. (I'm right handed)

I'm in the process of making my trigger nicer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me second the gentleman and good gunsmith. I needed my M&P for a match on Saturday and some practice beforehand. Sent my M&P to Dan Monday morning for a trigger job. He got it on Tuesday and I had it back by Thursday morning, exactly as he had promised. Now that's a stand-up guy!

Dan said the M&P would feel like a different gun and he was right. The trigger is smooth and with much less overtravel. Although there's a lot of pre-travel, with some practice it's easier to get used to than overtravel and a gritty trigger. Money well-spent on a guy that keeps his word.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got my M&P 40 back from Dan - the difference in the trigger is amazing! I went to the range and confirmed that the sights were spot on and now I can shoot multiple targets much faster than before having the trigger job done. Money well spent - Thank You, Dan!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts