MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone (Dan???) attempted to pull out the mag catch spring? Can it be done? It looks to be a simple short length of spring steel wire pushed down into a hold in the frame. Seemingly a minor job to replace. Glock uses a similar design with their mag catch spring (a spring steel wire inserted down into the frame).

When talking with S&W customer service, the agent told me that he thought replacing a weak mag catch spring might require frame replacement as he thought (but said he wasn't sure) that the spring was molded into the frame. This sounded nuts to me... I'm having a hard time believing that the simple rod (the spring) couldn't be pulled out and a new one inserted.

Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge on whether the spring can be pulled out and replaced? Also, where would one obtail a small piece of spring steel wire which would be suitable for this application? This would be so simple to determine... I would think. Hopefully Dan Burwell knows something about this and will chime in.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I tried to pull the spring out when I was doing a detailed cleaning. I could not get it out.

Either David Bowie or Dan Burwell (maybe both) told me that the spring is molded into the frame. Like a Glock, that spring should be able to be pulled out with pliers. No such luck with the M&P.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yukon... thank you for the info. It really surprises me that S&W would design the gun so that replacing the spring would require a frame replacement. Perhaps frames are so cheap to produce that replacing the frame when a new spring needed is no big deal to S&W. But to the gun owner who might wish to replace the spring, it really sucks. Dang it.

Yes, I found out that the mag catch spring wire is easily user-replaceable on Glocks.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the frame, you can see the bottom of the spring. I would think that a person could punch out the spring with a punch. But I tell you, I pulled on that spring really hard. I thought if I didn't quit, I would either bend the spring or break the frame. Then I thought about trying to punch it out from the bottom. I didn't do it because I didn't think it was worth having to buy a new frame when I broke it!!! :wink:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yukon... it would be great to really be able to find out if indeed the wire could be pushed out with a punch and another pushed back in! Of course.. definitely not worth having to replace a frame just for the sake of some exploring around a little on the gun. AS always, I appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
638 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Good info for someone not afraid to work on thier own gun! If you are... send it back!!

You can pretty much do what I did in your sleep and this is coming from a guy that gives new meaning to the term, "tool challenged." The only thing better will be when S&W finally gets the new Melonite mag catch in ample supply from their subcontractor. Send your gun back now and you're more than likely just going to get a new but current version catch unless you can demonstrate an emergency need. If you catch is just sticking (if your mags are dropping then by all means send your gun back) , taking it out and doing a little back and forth with 600 wet/dry paper is as easy as it gets and will take you at most, a few minutes to do.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Kraigster414 said:
this is coming from a guy that gives new meaning to the term, "tool challenged."
I can verify this for anyone who may have doubted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts