MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, but found no threads on this subject, but is there a way to determine the date of manufacture?

My wife just bought me a new .45 for our anniversary, but after reading all the ftf and breakage issues, I'm thinking I'll return it if it's an early production model. I love my M&P 40 and have had zero issues with it, but I'm a little concerned with the .45.

Thanks.

*** UPDATE: Ok, forgot about the test fire envelope and the casing in it says it was fired 5-07-07, so the pistol was probably manufactured around that time.

My serial number is MPR9xxx. Is anyone having any troubles with their .45s in the MPR8xxx and greater serial numbers? Also, the external finish on mine looks great . I haven't taken it apart, or even remove the orange safety plug, so I can't say what the internals look like.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm around the 800rd mark with no problems at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
MPR5xxx 600+ rounds and the nicest .45 I have shot. Runs and runs fast or slow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, based on the above zero problem replies, I finally decided to keep it. Took it to the range and put 150 WWB rounds through it with zero problems. In fact, it shot much better right out of the box than the .40 did, meaning with the .40 I had to adjust windage, but the .45 hit the mark every time without any sight adjustments. All I can say is, thank you wife for buying me this pistol!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dear Mr. 44mag,

Although the date on the fired case envelope is close, the "born-on" date actually appears on the box label next to the serial number in the form yjjj where y is a single digit representation of the year, e.g. 6 = 2006, 7 = 2007, etc. and jjj is a three digit day-of-year date.

My M&P40's label is marked MPE9xxx 6200, which is 19 July 2006. The fired case envelope is marked 18 July 2006.

Kind regards,

Steph

P.S. Are you 44mag of http://www.44mag.com fame?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sablair,

Thanks, that means mine was manufactured and tested on the same day.

No, I have a Redhawk 44 mag, which my wife bought me in '86, so that's where the 44mag handle comes from.

Paul

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Most envelope dates match the box dates. It's just easier, and just as practically accurate, to use the date on the envelope.

·
Registered
30 Posts
44mag said:
sablair,

Thanks, that means mine was manufactured and tested on the same day.

No, I have a Redhawk 44 mag, which my wife bought me in '86, so that's where the 44mag handle comes from.

Paul

Dear Paul,

Nice choice of .44s. I have always been fond of the Ruger Double-Action revolvers. Pleasing to the eye, rugged and well built, they are reliable firearms. Someday, I will get a Redhawk to keep my Model 29 company. (My wife bought me my Model 29 in June of '06 to replace one I had to sell during some hard times 30 years ago. She had found an exact replacement - a Model 29-2 pinned and recessed in bright blue with a presentation case. I researched the serial number and found it was born on Friday the 13th of October, 1972 -- Almost the exact day I got my first one. Do you love your wife as much as I love mine?
)

Kind regards,

Steph

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sablair said:
Do you love your wife as much as I love mine?
)

Kind regards,

Steph

Steph,

Absolutely!! She's bought me two now: the .44 and the .45. I've been putting the idea in her head I need an M&P tactical rifle, but so far she says no. Christmas is coming up, though. :wink:

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts