MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the latest issue of American Handgunner, Dave Anderson's "Winning Edge" column discusses some interesting aspects of Dave's unprecedented win of the USPSA Limited division with a Glock 35.

What makes this so interesting is that this division has been dominated by 1911s and it has been assumed that DA type guns can't compete with the 1911s SA trigger. Now, the $2000 - $3000 highly customized 1911s have been beat by a lightly modified Glock 35 - well, in the hands of Dave Sevigny.

This may be an interesting situation to watch. This is the second time a non-SA gun has beaten SA guns. The first was Ernst Langdon one or two years back when he beat Rob Leatham, et al with a lightly modified Sig 220 ST with a DA/SA trigger.

I'm not knocking or praising guns here; I just found it interesting and am wondering if new shooting trends are emerging. Be interesting to watch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya! I can't wait either. I think we're gonna hear some good things about the M&P in competition.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Personally I don't think new trends are emerging. Dave Sevigny is just so damn much better than anyone else it wouldn't matter what he shot.

Dave also wins at the IDPA Nationals, beating not only the SSP people, but also those supposedly higher CDP and ESP classes.

I think you will find if you throw Dave out of the equation, it is still the high dollar STI/SVI guns that do the winning.

At the 2005 IDPA Nationals even Rob Leatham couldn't make it to the top of ESP class shooting a XD against the STI guys.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but, Ernst Langdon used a Sig 220 ST DA/SA and beat everybody's 1911s about two years ago, and "...then I remember hearing that winning any IDPA non-wheelgun event is impossible unless you do it with a 1911, and then Langdon wins the SSP and overall Nationals title in 2000 with a modified Beretta 92 9mm."

·
Registered
168 Posts
As ever, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Lately I've been on an anti-gear kick. That is to say refusing to jump on board with the latest greatest stuff just because I can (M&P .45 excepted). Then this weekend I buy some tools that I used to install flooring and WOW what a difference it makes to have good tools. It cut my time and effort way down and I did a better job. That said, tools without some skill gets you nowhere.

All this is kinda off topic, I know, and I think most folks shoot an SA better than a "non-SA." So it is neat the he can win with a "lesser" tool. Glock on!

·
Registered
298 Posts
It justs shows that when you're at that level, gear really doesn't matter much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really eager to see how Ernst Langdon and Julie Goleski do with the M&P. Ernst switched from Beretta and Julie from Glock. This should be interesting.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What's even more incredible is that Daves G35 only had a trigger job, Sevigny sights, a magwell and a tungsten guide rod. Everything else was stock.

There are many great shooters in the Grandmaster levels of USPSA, some whom you only heard of a little, the best is yet to come.

Dave Sevigny is one hell of a shooter and decided it was his time to win and trained to do it and did it!

For those that don't know it Dave Sevigny is also a cross dominant shooter (left eye dominant, right handed), so is Phil Strader (as am I). I just goes to show you that it's a misconception that you can't shoot well and be cross dominant.

As someone else said "it's the Indian, not the arrow"

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Gotm4, do you know if Sevigny uses his left eye to aim with? I am cross dominant also. I use both eyes open; but I sometimes struggle to figure out which eye would be best to use. I have trained with thousands of dry fires to use my right eye. But sometimes I will move over to my left eye, and I see better. I feel like I have to cock my wrist to use my left eye; and it doesn't feel natural.

What do you do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm obviously not Gotm4, but I know some really good shooters that are cross eye dominant and they shoot with their dominant eye. IIRC, they cant the gun slightly toward the dominant eye. I.e. if you look through the sights, imagine the bottom of the grip rotated about the sights counter clockwise (right hand shooter). The amount would depend, I guess, on the individual.

From what I've heard, it's not a good idea to try to shoot with your non-dominant eye, the reasoning being that under stress, be it competition or SD, there's a good chance you'll revert to your dominant eye.

·
Registered
298 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Gotm4, do you know if Sevigny uses his left eye to aim with? I am cross dominant also. I use both eyes open; but I sometimes struggle to figure out which eye would be best to use. I have trained with thousands of dry fires to use my right eye. But sometimes I will move over to my left eye, and I see better. I feel like I have to cock my wrist to use my left eye; and it doesn't feel natural.

What do you do?

Yes he uses his left eye. The best way to practice if you don't shoot a lot is to put some 'scotch' tape over the lenses on your glasses so that it's obscured and you're forced to use your dominant eye. That way you'll still shoot both eyes open.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Tangle said:
I'm really eager to see how Ernst Langdon and Julie Goleski do with the M&P. Ernst switched from Beretta and Julie from Glock. This should be interesting.

Well, Julie won the IDPA Nationals with it and the USPSA Production Nats too, with the M&P9

1 - 13 of 13 Posts