MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Dawson Fiber optic front sight on my M&P yesterday, heres the problems I ran into. Note I have Dawsons on all my guns, this is the first time I had a problem fitting it.

As everyone should know, the sights are not a drop in fit, they are oversized and need final fitting. I started filing on the bottom and taking measurements, and when they didn't slide in after a about 10 passes on the file, I measured the width of the base, and it was still .010 bigger than my stock sight. I started filing the base at the dovetail, maintaining the same 60deg angle, until I got it close, trial fitting between strokes, well evidently there was a rough spot on the slide, cause on the next pass the sight went completely through by hand. Thought I ruined it but I peened it with a punch, and used locktight on it and it is fine.

So when fitting the sight to your guns, go slow and measure the base width and height and file close to your old sight size, then final fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your experiance as posted should be a front sight dovetail alert. The title of the post implied, at least to me, there was a problem with the Dawson front sight. You just learned a valuable lesson in fitting any part, insure that all parts are clean and true at each step in the test fit procedure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy Now?

OK, I edited it. I've put on 8 Dawson sights on my guns, this was the first one I screwed up. Just letting people know to be careful when fitting.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I must admit that Dave has kind of dropped his quality control on the M&P front sights. I have installed numerous sets with nothing even close to being as far off as the M&P's are. Do take your time!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts