MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize we sorta started this thread before the changeover, but as long as we've got a real place for it, i'd like to see how many M&P shooters there are around the area.

I'm about halfway between DC and Annapolis.

So, chime in

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm in Rockville, just N. of the city.

There are quite a few VA/MD people here. Perhaps we need to have a get together ...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If you're a total newcomer to handguns and you're thinking about getting your CCW, I can recommend the CCW class at the NRA Range in Fairfax. It's two nights long. First night is all lecture, second night you spend one hour on the range getting 1-on-1 instruction. And, you've got the credentials you need to get your VA CCW. The class can be overly simplistic for some but it gets the box checked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Down in Richmond but working in Alexandria

·
Registered
512 Posts
Currently live in Florida; but have family in Annapolis, so I spend some time up there.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I used to stay in Rockville and work in Bethesda. Then I was assigned to a different project and I stayed in Fairfax for a year and worked in Clarendon. I shot at the NRA range quite a bit and it’s an awesome facility. If you guys have a get together I’ll come up and join you.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Anyone else belong to Gilbert's Indoor Range?

Nope. Far too expensive, especially if you shoot a lot because they require you to buy all your ammo there. They can claim it's the county's rule all they want, the prices they charge are outrageous.

Gilbert's is fine for someone who puts a box or two of ammo through a gun once a month, or someone who has far more disposable income than time.

NRA Range in Fairfax is farther away but it's got better light, better air, a longer range than can take anything up to .460 Weatherby Magnum, and has range staff actually watching the line to make sure nothing unsafe happens. The very few times I've been to Gilbert's in Rockville I've been muzzled by other shooters who couldn't understand why I got so upset. Once I was even muzzled by one of the Gilbert's staff people on the range.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Gentlemen;

I'm not from D.C. but I need some help.

Planning on visiting this June after a wedding in western PA.

Bringing my pistols to do some shooting and would like to try the NRA range a few times.

The problem is ,of course,that I can't bring handguns into D.C..(Will probably stay in the district to be near all the tourist stuff and ,of course,the restaurants.)

Any suggestions on where to store them (probably in VA)?

The NRA range says they have no storage facilities and don't know any place that does.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FIsh,

I guess your best bet is to find a hotel with a safe in the room where you can leave your weapon(s). Right across the Key Bridge from DC is Rosslyn, VA with plenty of hotels. Or, on the other side of 395 is Crystal CIty, VA, which also has a lot of hotels. Either place is a 10 min cab ride to downtown DC.

You should check out the NRA range, it's a different world from any indoor range i've been to before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nope. Far too expensive, especially if you shoot a lot because they require you to buy all your ammo there. They can claim it's the county's rule all they want, the prices they charge are outrageous.

Gilbert's is fine for someone who puts a box or two of ammo through a gun once a month, or someone who has far more disposable income than time.

NRA Range in Fairfax is farther away but it's got better light, better air, a longer range than can take anything up to .460 Weatherby Magnum, and has range staff actually watching the line to make sure nothing unsafe happens. The very few times I've been to Gilbert's in Rockville I've been muzzled by other shooters who couldn't understand why I got so upset. Once I was even muzzled by one of the Gilbert's staff people on the range.

Oops, there are two Gilbert ranges in the area. I have never been to the one in Rockville. I go to Gilbert Small Arms Range in Springfield. They definitely don't make you buy their ammo, unless you are renting their gun. Also if you have a membership you don't have to pay an additional hourly rate like you do at the NRA range, but of course the NRA range is much nicer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm in Fort Belvoir. I work on base, but I live right outside, off US-1.

Anyone else belong to Gilbert's Indoor Range?

If you're speaking of the one in NoVA, I'm an annual member there. I went once a week, once upon a time, but I probably go once a month now
Now that I've got a couple 9mm's and a .22 I intend to go more often. We should do some M&P Forum member shoots -- I've met about a dozen people from 2AForum and they've all been excellent people who far exceed my expectations (not that my expecations are low
).

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Oops, there are two Gilbert ranges in the area.

Right, sorry. I was talking about the one in Rockville which, presumably, is the one Str8 was talking about since he's from Rockville.

I've never shot at the one in VA, but an old buddy of mine (Tim Bacus) is, or at least was, an employee down there. One of the best 1911 gunsmiths I've ever met.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts