MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Nope. Far too expensive, especially if you shoot a lot because they require you to buy all your ammo there. They can claim it's the county's rule all they want, the prices they charge are outrageous.

Gilbert's is fine for someone who puts a box or two of ammo through a gun once a month, or someone who has far more disposable income than time.

NRA Range in Fairfax is farther away but it's got better light, better air, a longer range than can take anything up to .460 Weatherby Magnum, and has range staff actually watching the line to make sure nothing unsafe happens. The very few times I've been to Gilbert's in Rockville I've been muzzled by other shooters who couldn't understand why I got so upset. Once I was even muzzled by one of the Gilbert's staff people on the range.

I feel the same way. I shoot at The Range in Stafford. No membership fees, $8 per half hour and you can bring your own ammo and targets. Their only stipulation is that you have to buy their ammo if you rent their guns which I can understand.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am in Fredericksburg (half way between Richmond and DC). I guess that I need to check out the "The Range" in Stafford.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I feel the same way. I shoot at The Range in Stafford. No membership fees, $8 per half hour and you can bring your own ammo and targets. Their only stipulation is that you have to buy their ammo if you rent their guns which I can understand.
I grew up in Stafford and used to go to The Range with my pops back in the day(early 90's). Decent place, have they expanded or spruced it up at all?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anyone know of a competent, trustworthy gunsmith in the area who does M&P triggers? I'd like to get mine worked on but I'm having a hard time justify paying twice as much to ship it out than for the work itself. If anybody's had thiers done locally and were pleased w/ the results, let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
chefdog -- Haven't spoken to him in years (before the M&P even came out, actually), but you might see if Tim Bacus still works at Gilbert's in Virginia. He was a truly excellent 'smith and I'm tuning up an M&P wouldn't be a challenge for him. Not the same as having one done by a guy who specializes in the M&P like Burwell or Bowie, but I'm confident he could do a good job. I've shot 1911's, Berettas, SIGs, and BHP's he's worked on and they were all first rate.

Otherwise, Dan & Dave are your options. The price, even with shipping, is still pretty reasonable for what you're getting. Or you could always try it yourself.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Or you could always try it yourself.
No
chance dude! It took me a week to dig up the cojones to take the dremel to the beavertail. I won't touch the insides. The damn thing would never work again.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll give Gilbert's a call. If i can just get it smoothed out and the overtravel/reset taken care of then I'll be happy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gaithersburg, near Rio Center.

While we're on the subject - what's the deal with Gilbert's in Rockville? I mean, "who are these people"...

Membership-only range access make it more expensive, and to top that - ALL AMMO MUST BE PURCHASED FROM THE RANGE!?

I know these are supposedly Montgomery County rules (and I have a bone tp pick with them too) - but overall, if you are only an occasional shooter (say less than once a month) - a visit to Gilbert's will run you probably just short of $100... frustrating. Maybe I just dont know all the ins and outs of making this more affordable... Anyone else has the same problem? It sure would be nice to find an affordable range closer.

Right now, both places I use are 35+ miles away: The NRA headquarters range in Fairfax and OnTarget in Anne Arundel County.

I'm all for M&P shoot.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Most ranges required to use their ammo with rentals - I find that reasonable. I mean i cant blame them for not wanting me to foul up their guns with my home-made crap loads.

@ ToddG and LordRahl: good point. Montgomery County may require the range to use only their ammo, but do they also require to overcharge for it??? Another weird thingi noticed about Rockville Gilbert's was when I stopped by last time to get some pricing info on a new M&P - i was told they do not sell firearms for the time being because their FLL license expired. Dont know why, but that made me think there was something shady with them... I mean why wouldnt they renew the FFL in time...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just suck it up and drive to the NRA range. It's worth the 45 minute ride b/c the place is so much better than anything else around. What I really want to find is a good place to shoot outdoors. Anybody got some land they want to donate?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No kidding. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a decent place to teach a class in the NoVA/SubMD area?

Sure don't. But(t) I'll ASSume it's even harder than finding somewhere to just shoot. Maybe we can come up w/ a little cash and open one ourselves. They can come and shoot all day, get some training, then have a nice meal afterwards. Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

·
Registered
78 Posts
All,

I shoot at Gilbet's out in Lorton and yes Tim still works there, he is the manager of the store now. I purchase both my MP 15's (T&A) no pun intened there and a MP 9mm. Tim has helped me allot with questions about pistols and of course the two MP rifles I bought there.

Jet

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
All,

I shoot at Gilbet's out in Lorton and yes Tim still works there, he is the manager of the store now. I purchase both my MP 15's (T&A) no pun intened there and a MP 9mm. Tim has helped me allot with questions about pistols and of course the two MP rifles I bought there.

Jet
Thanks for the help Jet. Looks like Tim will be getting a phone call in the near future.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For some of you in the MD. suburbs I shoot here during the fall and winter.

They run a very safe range and it's also clean, well VENTILATED and well lighted.

Employee's are knowledgeable and courteous.

Very large show room with a great selection of firearms and accessories.

And yes you can take your own ammo. lol

Very accessible from I-295,RT.100,RT175,RT.301,RT.32,Right across from the main gate at FT. Meade.

http://www.ontargetdot.com/

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

They run a very safe range and it's also clean, well VENTILATED and well lighted.

Employee's are knowledgeable and courteous.

Very large show room with a great selection of firearms and accessories.

And yes you can take your own ammo. lol

Very accessible from I-295,RT.100,RT175,RT.301,RT.32,Right across from the main gate at FT. Meade.

http://www.ontargetdot.com/
Paper,

I've shot at On Target a few times, and it is a decent range, and only about 15 minutes from me. But, I'll still drive the extra 1/2 hour to go to the NRA in Fairfax because it really is head and shoulders above everywhere else in terms of the quality of the facility. If you haven't been there yet, check it out, it's worth the trip.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts

Since when???

I don't ask that facetiously. I'm assuming they must have cleaned up their act, literally, over the past few years. I haven't been there since '01 or so, but the range was far from what I'd consider clean, well lit, or well ventilated at that time. Do you know any of the details of what they've changed?

Like chefdog, I'm quite spoiled by the NRA Range in Fairfax, and it's worth wrestling with Beltway traffic for 45min each way to get there. As a matter of fact, Mrs. G. and I are headingout in about an hour.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Joined last year 2007 and go Saturday or Sunday early A.M.

The only other indoor range I've been to is in P.G. County (won't mention name )

and that was real @##* hole ! lol

Never been to NRA Range in Fairfax I guess I have to check it out .

I'm game if any one wants some company on their next trip .

21 - 40 of 46 Posts