MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've about decided the M&P will be my next gun purchase. I was planning on going with the 9mm compact, but wondering if I should consider the full size for my CCW piece instead? I'm not a "big" guy I'm about 6'2" and 185 or so pounds. I have rather large hands but the M&P compact is about the only compact model that fits my hands well enough that I'd even consider it over the full size. As long as the compact suits my hands should I definitely go with it?

I'm trying to take into consideration size/concealment and weight for my carry gun and not sure which route I should go with. If I could carry/conceal the full size just as easily should I do that for the extra rounds? If anyone has both a compact and full size M&P I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter since you are familiar with both. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
188 Posts
phantom45 said:
I've about decided the M&P will be my next gun purchase. I was planning on going with the 9mm compact, but wondering if I should consider the full size for my CCW piece instead? I'm not a "big" guy I'm about 6'2" and 185 or so pounds. I have rather large hands but the M&P compact is about the only compact model that fits my hands well enough that I'd even consider it over the full size. As long as the compact suits my hands should I definitely go with it?

I'm trying to take into consideration size/concealment and weight for my carry gun and not sure which route I should go with. If I could carry/conceal the full size just as easily should I do that for the extra rounds? If anyone has both a compact and full size M&P I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter since you are familiar with both. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I don't have both, but I shot both and made the same decision you are making about a month ago. I actually like the feel of the full size much better in my hand (5'10, 195 lbs), but decided on the 9MM compact because my primary purchase reason was for conceal. Anything to make it smaller and less visible is a positive IMO. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have both the fullsize and the compact and am capable of concealing either with ease. I'm 6'1" and 160lbs., so you shouldn't have trouble with either. The fullsize was my primary carry for a while but I am now using the compact. They are both great guns. The fullsize fits my hand better but the light weight and small size of the compact is quite nice. Keep in mind that, for capacity, you can always carry additional mags too. Whatever route you decide to go, you will be happy.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm carrying a 9c right now, but in the next day or two when my M&P45 gets in, and I can get a nice IWB holster, it will be my new main CCW. I have zero issues concealing the 9c, and don't anticipate having any problems with the 45.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been carrying my full size in a cheapo holster (waiting on my K&D) and it isn't too bad with the right clothes. If I'm feeling like dressing a bit lighter I put the J-frame in my pocket or IWB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Smaller the better, IMHO.

I have a MP 9c and a full sized MP 40 caliber. I find the compact much easier to carry concealed than the full sized. I'm 6' tall and weigh about 208 lbs. In the summer there is no gun that I "like" to carry. The only, sorta comfortable, gun for summer carry is my S & W 442 in a pocket holster. You skinny guys and gansta types could hide about anything in your pants and know one would know! In the cooler months I could carry a 12 guage with no problem.

Getting past all that, my little compact shoots almost as accurately as my full sized MP. Both are great fun to shoot. But considering the time of year (summer) I would get the compact first and the full sized later for cooler weather attire. :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fine advice here thanks for the tips guys! Right now my only pistol is a 1911, and I've been considering a high-capacity .45 in the future. So I might go with the 9c for regular carry, and look at the M&P .45 later for a full size. Sounds like a plan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts