MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home tonight there was a truck parked in the road with his emergency flashers on. As I passed I noticed a buck laying down in front of the truck. I turned on my blue lights and parked up about 50 feet in front of the deer. When I got out of the car and approached the driver the deer started trying to get up but kept falling down. When it was able to get up it ran through a screen house before falling again. The poor thing kept falling but was still trying to get away. I was carrying my MP9c but due to the close proximity to several houses I didn't take a shot. To be honest I didn't even draw so no one there knew I was armed. Eventually the poor deer stumbled back into the woods. Anyone have an expierence like this? When is it appropriate to end an animal's suffering? I just feel bad for the poor thing because the other animals are probably going to have a field day with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You cuoldn't really do anything in that situation because of the houses being close. But if that where to happen on a dirt / back road I would say it's best to put the animal out of it's misery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in NY you cannot shoot a wounded deer. You have to wait for LEO to get there and have them do it. Pretty stupid if you ask me but it`s the law.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My brother hit a deer (it was pitch black on a windy dirt road and he was only going about 25 mph) and was about to put it down right when a cop car was driving by. The cop put it down but he wasn't considered to be doing anything wrong. I'd say if it's on the ground suffering and you have a clean and clear shot to go ahead and do it, unless it's expressly against the law I don't think any good cop or judge would ever fault you for it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
ending its life for a broken leg?.. Did anyone ever think, take it to the vet?.. haha just a diffrent way of looking at it.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
We were instructed not to mess with injured wild animals, have dispatch contact the Ranger, of course half the time you couldn't get hold of the Ranger!

·
Registered
191 Posts
darklyte24 said:
ending its life for a broken leg?.. Did anyone ever think, take it to the vet?.. haha just a diffrent way of looking at it.

It is a wild animal that will do what ever it will take to escape including run you down. Vets would not work on it even if you brought it in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Coyotes got to eat too!

And I think G56 meant Game Wardens are hard to get ahold of(which is who you should always contact).

My S.O. contacts me if there is any problems 24/7..

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
That's the idea, the one we had at the time was really hard to find, most of the time, this was back in the 80's, I don't even remember his name now.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I might try helping an injured doe depending on the severity of the injuries(broken leg? Probably not), but an injured buck? Hells no. I value my life. Scared injured bucks are nothing to toss a stick at. I'd end its misery if I knew I wouldn't get in trouble.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I definately wasn't going to go up and pet it. Thats for sure. That thing was desperate and had a strong will to live and get the heck outta there. The way it ran through that screen house and threw itself on the ground make me realize how dangerous it was. In the end I hope it either learns to live on 3 legs or that the coyotes have a good meal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm a hunter and have had many similar experiences. In fact I had a doe hit by a car in front of my house once. It ran off with a broken leg before I could do anything. By law, you cannot shoot the animal until you contact your SO ( if a vehicle is involved, and in your case, property) who will then contact a warden. Usually the LEO must be the one to put it down. Often times b/c of the red tape, the laws are not in the intrest of the animal. However, deer are amazing animals and can survive a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts