MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a Remington 870 loaded with hornady TAP 2 3/4" 9 pellet.

What do you load you home defense Shot gun with? Or LEO's, What's in your duty shotgun?

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mossberg 500 18 1/2" loaded with (1) 7 1/2 birdshot, then (4) Remington 00 Buck. The 4 in the speed feed stock are (2) Rem 00 buck on the outside (quick to reload) then (2) Winchester HP Slugs. I leave one birdshot first for the "panic" shot. Also to help ease me into deafness if I ever had to use it in the house.

I'd like to hear others' setups too. BTW, I love my 12 ga.
I'm thinking about getting another once I can find a place to practice at. And some pro training with it too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
mossberg 88 (maverick) pistol grip, 00 buck shot fully loaded

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I have an old Mossberg 500 with a riot gun barrel on it, it's ready to go with a choice of shells, I have #4 Duck, #4 Buckshot and the Remington 00 Buck 9 pellet load.

For indoor use #4 Duck & Pheasant loads, at short ranges these things are devastating but they don't penetrate walls worth a darn, they might go through one of two sheets of sheetrock but that's about it. A lot of the professional firearms trainers at many of the elite shooting schools recommend bird shot for indoor use for exactly that reason. The worst over penetrator of all is the pistol, those things just keep going and going, a .223/5.56 rifle round doesn't penetrate walls nearly as well as a 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP round.

I've had people tell me they didn't think bird shot is effective, when I was a Deputy we had a shooting, a guy was in a mobile home and armed, the Under Sheriff and one of the Deputies were going up the back stairs to the trailer, the perp came out the back door, pointed a pistol in the Under Sheriff's face and pulled the trigger, his gun misfired, the Under Sheriff dove down and the Deputy right behind him shot the perp with one round of #4 Duck & Pheasant at a range of about 10 feet, the shot hit in the center of his chest, he was dead before he hit the ground, his chest was hamburger. Nobody can tell me that load isn't effective at close range, but it is a short range load, most of our guys carried staggered loads in their shotguns, #4 Duck & Pheasant was first up, 00 Buck, then back to #4, or some loaded all buckshot after the first shot of the #4's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Home defense, #4 Buck, Patrol ,Slug, we did away with 00 Buck due to liability for accounting rounds, easier to account for 1 slug than 9 pellets.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I have a Mossberg 590, I personally believe Mossberg has a better product line, but does not get the credit such as the Remington 870. It simply has the features I like, especially the safety location. As far as ammo is concerned I first a good home defense round was OO, but I now only load #4, or #6 shot... Just easier on the neighbors and whomever you have sleeping in the next room. Here is mine with a few other toys...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
176 Posts
Home Defense Shotgun

If you have the funds check out the Knoxx SpecOps stock (www.knoxx.com), it is a collapsible stock that reduces felt recoil. It costs around $140 but you will not be disappointed. We shot 3" magnum rounds with it and it was like shooting a 20 gauge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm getting a lot of good insight. I mya need to rethink what I load in mine.

Sgt4474...I agree. My 870 tactical came with the Knoxx SpecOps stock and 7shot extended mag. Great gun with really low recoil. it reminds me of shooting trap back in the day at boy scout camp. :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I may also have to rethink what I load in mine also...I think I'll have to load #4 as the first round followed by 00....thanks guys for the advise!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am a gunsmith and my shop is not in the best end of town so I have a Remington 11-87 12ga police shotgun that I use for the shop. It is seven shots as quick as you can pull the trigger and it is very reliable and since it is gas operated the recoil is very manageable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just bought a Benelli M4 (Joint Services Combat Shotgun) last week. I have yet to shoot it, but I think it should serve the purpose well. I was hesitant to get a pump because although they are very reliable, I was worried that I might panic and short-cycle it at the worst possible time. Also when I get good with this I should be able to pop off eight shots before the plastic hits the ground.

I figure the M4 has to be reliable if the Marines can drag it through the mud and through the sand in Iraq. It's also designed so that mounting optics and a side saddle won't affect cycling reliability. I plan on picking up a sight of some sort, a side saddle, and a flashlight. Granted this does come at a very high price, I'd consider it to be the Escalade of tactical shotguns at $1400.

I load 00 buck because I'm not too concerned about over-penetration. I figure if I place my shot it's highly unlikely that it's going to go through somebody, through a few walls and into another person.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mossberg 500 loaded with slugs and 00 only.

Bird shot is for birds. At really close range it doesn't make much difference the total weight of lead is all that matters. As the pattern expands with distance it becomes far less dense. I want to hit that SOB with the heaviest load I can.

BLACKJACK

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
BLACKJACK said:
Mossberg 500 loaded with slugs and 00 only.

Bird shot is for birds. At really close range it doesn't make much difference the total weight of lead is all that matters. As the pattern expands with distance it becomes far less dense. I want to hit that SOB with the heaviest load I can.

BLACKJACK

Tell that too your next door neighbor, or your very own children; when you blow several holes in their wall. Most agencies are going to a less penetrating round as OO, so you might re-think this matter...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks,

I'm "old school" but always ready to consider something new.

The kids are all grown & gone and the house is brick but your point is well taken.

BLACKJACK

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right now I have a Mossberg 590, same exact shotgun the military issues to combat troops complete with heat shield and bayonet lug. Not that I use the bayonet, no, I really don't... Usually. It's loaded with 8+1 00 Buckshot in the tube and two hollowpoint rifled slugs on the left speedloader in the stock, two No. 8 birdshot shells on the right, for those special situations. Frankly though, it depends on what I think the threat is. I also have my AKM ready to go in case of something else but for general work, the shotgun's more versatile.

TheDude, that's an M14 variant, not a Saiga. - Colt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts