MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! Fairly shooter here had shield about a month now. Looking get chl pretty soon. What are yalls on good edc defensive ammo for the 9mm shield? All thoughts and welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gold Dots are a good SD round, the Federal HST's are right there too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got Winchester ranger T's 147g loaded right now. Gold dots, HST's, ranger T's are my preferred SD ammo.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Shorter barrels will not produce the velocity that is advertised on the box (typically from a 5" barrel). In the absence of velocity, which produces maximal expansion, penetration is king. So in shorter barreled guns, heavier is better. Heavier bullets will penetrate deeper more reliably than lighter bullets. Even if they don't completely expand, you're more likely to get an incapacitating hit with a 147gr. Choose a good bonded 147gr bullet from a major manufacturer... you'll be good.

JW

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
9 responses, mostly HST and Gold Dot, with some Ranger-T thrown in. These three are excellent choices, and can be found on DocGKR's list of the best in duty/defense ammo.

Here's his current list of "acceptable" duty/defensive ammo offerings, updated just last month. As Jeff mentioned, heavier bullets are usually a better choice for these shorter barreled pistols.

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
Remington Golden Saber bonded 124 gr +P JHP (GSB9MMD)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester 124 gr +P bonded JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P PT
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Hornady Critical Duty 220 gr +P JHP
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

With all the great advice, there's hope for this thread yet... at least until the Critical Mistake/Defense fanbois show up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
With all the great advice, there's hope for this thread yet... at least until the Critical Mistake/Defense fanbois show up.
Wait that's what I was going to suggest:lol:.... No 124gr Speer Gold Dot for me in my 9mm.

KR, did the G2 offering in 9mm get removed off of the list? I could have sworn it had made it on there sometime in the fall.

·
Registered
105 Posts
dsuello03...

Here is the link to the complete report from ar15.com, Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo, that KRWeiss is referring to. It is complete, easy to read and It's important stuff, for sure. Because you are new to shooting and are probably not well versed in things like ballistics, etc. you may be interested in the learning aspect of the "why's" of all of this.

BTW, make sure to book mark it for future reference!

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any of the HSTs,Winchester RA9T 147 T does real well from a short barrel.And Winchester Defend 147 is a excellent performer from a short barrel. Really amazeing how good the defend 147 is out of a 3 inch barrel.And at under 900fps.Around 870 average

·
Registered
490 Posts
Both the Federal HST 124gr and 147gr were stellar performers in the 3" barrel ballistic tests. 124 giving slightly better penetration, 147 giving slightly better expansion. I wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to either. My reasoning for choosing 124gr for my defensive ammo is that I will be closer to the 115gr fmj range ammo I practice with than 147 gr as far as the way it shoots.

Reactions: reo46725

·
Registered
60 Posts
Both the Federal HST 124gr and 147gr were stellar performers in the 3" barrel ballistic tests. 124 giving slightly better penetration, 147 giving slightly better expansion. I wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to either. My reasoning for choosing 124gr for my defensive ammo is that I will be closer to the 115gr fmj range ammo I practice with than 147 gr as far as the way it shoots.
Yeah I use the 124 gr as well for the same reason. I can always find 115 gr ammo for the range and it's the cheapest. So I use 124 gr because it's closer in size to the 115 gr.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
KR, did the G2 offering in 9mm get removed off of the list? I could have sworn it had made it on there sometime in the fall.
We won't be seeing much G2 in the retal channel for 18 months or so, probably closer to 2 years, until ATK fills it's FBI contract. It's almost impossible to get for my LE customers, and we can't afford to offer it to civilians anymore. We only got a couple pallets worth before the supply dried up, and that was only because my sales rep really likes us.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts