MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
We won't be seeing much G2 in the retal channel for 18 months or so, probably closer to 2 years, until ATK fills it's FBI contract. It's almost impossible to get for my LE customers, and we can't afford to offer it to civilians anymore. We only got a couple pallets worth before the supply dried up, and that was only because my sales rep really likes us.
OK cool thank you for the info.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've got Winchester ranger T's 147g loaded right now. Gold dots, HST's, ranger T's are my preferred SD ammo.
Winchester is good ammo, I just will not buy anything from them because of their stance about not selling Ranger "T" to non law enforcement.
You can get it, but Winchester frowns on the sale to the public.

·
Registered
19 Posts
G2 didnt test good for ammo quest at all.One thing is for sure it would not be any good out of a 3 inch barrel.Really the HST 124 standard pressure does real well.Of course the other HSTs do real well to.I still would give the edge to Ranger 147 T it penetrates slightly deeper.You can get the T load to if you look around or at a gun show or what ever.Ive always been with +P+ loads for my glock 19.The 19 will eat higher pressure loads like nothing.For the shield i use the 147 Ranger T.But would also use any of the HSTs.And really from the ammo quest tests the 124 HST standard pressure just might be best.But than again Winchesters Tran and Defend 147 does as well as any of them.So to some it up the Winchesters or the HSTs are great loads for a shield.Really more or less the 9 performs as well as a 40

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
If you like the Ammo Quest HST 124 and/or 124+p videos, take a look at his HST 147 video. More consistant penetration through bare gel and denim, more consistant expansion than either of the 124s, and "substantially larger" expanded bullets.

Other advantages of "heavy for caliber" bullets is lower felt recoil, somewhat quieter (no supersonic crack or rip), less bone deflection, and better barrier penetration.

One bit of commentary: Intermediate barrier penetration is just as important for civilians as it is for law enforcement. While an LEO may be shooting at suspects from outside a vehicle, civilians would more likely be shooting through auto glass from inside, especially in the instance of a carjacking. The first thing we generally do is roll up the windows and lock the doors, leaving us with nothing but intermediate barriers to penetrate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes how true lots of things to keep in mind.We just cant pick the circumstances for a shooting.And a shield 9 with 147 HST would do real well.There is a gun show this weekend in Marlbough mass.So i am going to try to find some 147 HST while i am there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got Winchester ranger T's 147g loaded right now. Gold dots, HST's, ranger T's are my preferred SD ammo.
I know this reply is many years late, so hopefully you're still around. Do you have any experience with Winchester Silvertip 147 gr. standard (not + P)?? Here in Sacramento area; those are the only 9mm that has been consistently on the shelves at Sportsman's/Cabella's and they are selling for $19.95 for boxes of 20, which is a really good deal these days so I picked up 4 boxes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know this reply is many years late, so hopefully you're still around. Do you have any experience with Winchester Silvertip 147 gr. standard (not + P)?? Here in Sacramento area; those are the only 9mm that has been consistently on the shelves at Sportsman's/Cabella's and they are selling for $19.95 for boxes of 20, which is a really good deal these days so I picked up 4 boxes.
Probably best if you do some penetration/expansion tests your self with wet phone books. Sacramento should have a fairly thick phone book, get a number of them (5 or so) soak them in water and shoot them stacked wet at the range bundled with duct tape (if the range will allow this). Shoot from 10 yards. The wet test will give you a fairly good idea how the bullet will perform in your gun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take a look at Black Hills Honey Badger 9mm 125 grain subsonic which is made for short barreled pistols like the Shield. I did some serious gel and barrier testing and found that the 115 grain JHP I was carrying had a 40% failure to expand rate and over penetrated thru the bare gel. The Honey Badger did not over penetrate and was better through barriers and softer shooting to boot. It's on the expensive side but try a box for yourself to see if it works for you. There are many good self defense rounds listed on this thread but this one seemed to check all the boxes for me in my M&P Shield, my Hellcat, and my M&P Bodyguard 380 (a 60 grain non-subsonic). GaCop listed a good test above. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a couple of odd balls in mine, more because I can get them at reasonable prices than anything else. I use Freedom Munitions 135 gr XDef or IMI 124 gr Die Cut . Both shoot well and are +P loads and I have seen gel tests on youtube for both of them. Performance wasn't bad.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts