MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there a defining moment where the importance of gun safety was ingrained in your head because of something stupid you did? Maybe you had a ND, or witnessed someone else have a ND, or maybe you swept someone and got screamed at, etc. The thread about the guy who accidentally killed his wife made me think about this.

For me, there was one particular incident, where as a rookie, I was explaining how the gun functioned to a friend. I had the "unloaded" pistol pointed towards the ground and my finger was off the trigger, and I pulled back the slide and out popped a round from the chamber.
:roll: I'm just glad I did not pull the trigger during my little demonstration. That experience is something I will never forget it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a bad experience years ago involving alcohol and a loaded .38 revolver. Thank goodness nobody died, although someone was injured. I didn't touch a gun for 15 years after that. Not a day goes by that I don't think about it.

I have six years sober now. And I am a safety nut when it comes to firearms. Hell, I thought I was back then, but I was wrong.

When I read that other thread, my heart sank even further upon reading he was a Marine.

I remember my ND, one of the responding cops said "You are a Marine. This should have never f#*&ing happened." That one stuck with me.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I got into firearms after my trip to Iraq, we had a lot of people getting in trouble for a nd. the one that really scared me was when the gunner of a .50 rolled back in and forgot that a round was chambered and the round went screaming past the guard position scared the piss outta me.

·
Registered
512 Posts
For me, it was at a public range, and we saw some kids; well heck they were my age, but he swept me with the barrel and were just being careless with the direction they were pointing it. It was obviously his first weapon because of the way he was showing his friends. I yelled at him after he swept me and he said relax it is unloaded look, and thank god pointed it down range and pulled the trigger. Lo and behold it wasn't and it scared the **** out of him. I hope that was his one moment.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
jbparrothd21 said:
For me, it was at a public range, and we saw some kids; well heck they were my age, but he swept me with the barrel and were just being careless with the direction they were pointing it. It was obviously his first weapon because of the way he was showing his friends. I yelled at him after he swept me and he said relax it is unloaded look, and thank god pointed it down range and pulled the trigger. Lo and behold it wasn't and it scared the shiz out of him. I hope that was his one moment.
I would have followed with a joke..... what did the 5 figers say to the face?????

smack
stupid punk

·
Registered
167 Posts
The first time i picked up a handgun i thought. This is fun but i'd sure wouldn't like to end up shooting myself or even worse someone else. So i decided early on that safety is number 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always prided myself on my gun saftey. Until I was practicing obtaining a sight picture with an S&W Model 57 .41 mag. I was using a salt shaker in my kitchen as my target. I pulled the trigger on what I was sure was an empty gun and BOOM! I didn't really hear the shot go off. Everything was in slow motion. The salt shaker disappeared and the top was spinning through the air. I didn't even feel the recoil. When my ears stopped ringing I heard a baby crying, and there was a hole in the kitchen wall, through the opposite bedroom wall and exiting brick wall to the outside of the apartment. I just knew I had killed someone. Thankfully the babies cries were from across the courtyard in the opposite direction and the direction of the shot was into an open field. I WAS STUPID! I didn't know gun saftey at all. I ignored all the rules of gun safety. All this happened around 30 years ago, but I still think about it. I will never forget this one fact:

A gun is always loaded.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My moment came whena buddy was showing me his Glock. He dropped the mag and beagn pointing in at his TV. He raised the sight's just about the TV at a little figurine and pulled the trigger. BOOM! out went the .45 bullet, through the wall into the next bedroom and out the door I went, expecting the cops to show. Now I drop the mag and rackt he slide a couple times, look into the chamber, feel the chamber, close the slide and dry fire at the ground. Sometimes I feel that I'm being too paranoid but then I think, it's better to be safe than sorry and out the opportunity to own firearms, and getting butt raped in jail.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My first real "scare" was about a year after purchasing my first gun. At the time I didn't have a permit so it was important that all the guns I had on me were unloaded when driving to and from the range. Got home to my apartment and was showing a friend my new USP40, following the casual version of the "don't point your gun at anything you're not willing to destroy" rule ... in other words, not really paying that much attention. We both handled the gun a bit while we were talking, and at one point it was in my hands and I was about to pull the trigger when, out of habit, I checked the chamber ... and a round of .40 JHP flew out. My friend and I both just stared at each other.

I've seen my fair share of ADs at matches and ranges and classes. I have a friend who shot the lamp next to where his wife was sitting on the couch. I have a friend (a firearms instructor) who shot his desk at work. I have a friend (another instructor) who shot himself in the leg. People aren't perfect and mistakes happen. That's why it's so critically important that we all learn, internalize, and practice the safety rules every single time there's a gun in our presence.

·
Registered
163 Posts
choochboost said:
Was there a defining moment where the importance of gun safety was ingrained in your head because of something stupid you did? Maybe you had a ND, or witnessed someone else have a ND, or maybe you swept someone and got screamed at, etc. The thread about the guy who accidentally killed his wife made me think about this.

For me, there was one particular incident, where as a rookie, I was explaining how the gun functioned to a friend. I had the "unloaded" pistol pointed towards the ground and my finger was off the trigger, and I pulled back the slide and out popped a round from the chamber.
:roll: I'm just glad I did not pull the trigger during my little demonstration. That experience is something I will never forget it.

Yes, but it was also your experience that caused you to hesitate, and pull back the slide!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I usually give people these moments near daily.

Had one customer take out his Bersa .380 and hold it loose in his hand, pointed at me, asking if we had a holster for it. I took it out of his hand pretty quick and he says "what? it's not loaded." Out comes a mag less 1 round, guess where that last round is...in the chamber. His eyes were like saucers.

Had another customer come in on the range, shooting a Taurus PT145...I see him moving the trigger back and forth like a fiend, only getting a shot off once in a while...he turns around with it, sweeping like 3 of his friends saying "damn thing much be broken" finger still on the trigger. I stepped in and spun him around by his wrist, getting his muzzle off of all of us. Took the gun out of his hand and emptied his mag into his target....Idiot didn't know how long his trigger pull was.

Had another guy on the range shooting his last mag. He shoots away at the target till the gun stops going bang...trouble is he had a FTRB. He drops the empty mag out and puts it in his range bag, when he sets his gun back down on the bench...the round chambers. He takes his target down, and starts sweeping up his brass. His gun is pointing downrange, so I don't say anything yet. He puts his gun in its case, and finishes packing up. I step in and say "can i show you something real quick?" He goes along with it...I tell him to check his chamber. Out comes the live round.

Watched a kid (15 or 16 maybe) on the range with his "uncle". This kid isn't someone you want coming over to pickup your daughter...we'll leave it at that. The uncle loads up the gun for the kid each time, Beretta 92fs, leaves it in single action...and keeps setting it down with the barrel perpendicular to the direction they're shooting in...pointing at the next lane over. Twice I step in and tell them the barrel of their gun, empty or not, staying pointing down range till they're ready to leave. Not 30 seconds later, Uncle loads up for the kid...leaves it there for him, now with the muzzle downrange...kid steps in and picks up the gun by the trigger...shooting the gun before he even has it off the bench...uncle didn't even notice it happen...the kid wanted to be "cool" so he just plays it off like it never happened, and finishes the mag...though he's obviously shaking. Both were asked to leave for the day.

The need for gun safety has been throughly ingrained in me by the stupid people I'm constantly surrounded with at work. Luckily I haven't had any close calls of my own yet, and hope I never do.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Two seperate instances are in my mind...

The first was the very first time I was shooting an M-16 for quals. One guy had a problem and turned to tell the Line coach. He pointed the 16 at the line coaches COM and had his finger on the trigger. I've never seen a guy move so fast...the safety was off and that rifle was outta that kids hands in about half a second. The line coach was screaming that he was lucky that he wasn't shot (the line coach had a side arm and told us that he would use it) and he should stick the 16 up that kids *** like a lolly pop.

The second time and the most important time and I wasn't there for it. I had a friend in the Marines...well he and another one of his squad mates or whatever didn't really like each other. While my friend was in a tent playing video games with another marine. The guy who didn't like him pointed an M16 at his back and pulled the trigger. Paul never saw it coming. He had volunteered to extend for his second tour to get a little more money to marry his finance at the end of his enlistment...just a few months away. The kid (I won't call him a marine) who killed him claimed he didn't know the gun was loaded. During the trial the kids ethnicity came up and some how or another he was only found guilty of manslaughter...18 months for killing my friend.

NO Gun is ever empty. I'll never point at something I don't intend to destroy. I'm not perfect and I do make mistakes but I hope that I'll never make one regarding a loaded firearm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Back in HS my cousin nearly blew the head of his sisters boyfriend while playing with an unloaded gun. That pretty much opened my eyes. Sincee then the 4 rules are written in stone. Have had instances while training when the gun went boom before I really wanted it to, like after swapping out my 12# Glock trigger to a 3.5# trigger and not dry firing at home to get the feel for it (BAD IDEA). Fortunately, the round ended up in my target, just not where I wanted it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good post chooch...we can all learn from others...hopefully!

I have had two incidents that left lasting impressions:

First one, I was a kid of maybe 10 years old, my older brother comes home from a friends house freaking out. Seems my bro and his friend had been out hunting (shotguns and squirrels) the day before, they departed company and my bro comes home, cleans his shotgun and puts it away. The next day, he goes to his friends house and the place is crawling with people. Seems his friend had gone home and cleaned his shotgun as well...you know the rest of the story...his friend never cleared his gun, blew his own head apart.

The second was a guy that would become my brother in law...we were on a trip to his family farm (I was dating his sister at the time, went along to spend time with my GF...
) anyways, his dad had brought a shotgun so we could do some dove hunting. Future BIL was maybe 13 at the time. Most of us were just hangin out and didn't notice the kid was not around, we hear a loud boom, look around to see my FBIL sitting in the back seat of his dads car with a look something like this...
...he had wanted to get the gun out of the back seat of the car, dang thing was loaded and ready for action the whole time we were driving to the farm, lots of kids getting in and out of the car, etc...I didn't know if I was more pissed, scared or mad...at the Dad for carrying that thing around loaded, at the kid for pulling the trigger, or myself for not ensuring the dang thing was unloaded while I was riding back there with it. Fortunately, no one was hurt, just a very large hole thru the back seat and the floor of the trunk.

I think the second incident actually left a bigger impression, probably because I was older, had been in the Navy a few years (including PRP program, where I had to qualify with the 1911 for nuke security duty) and I knew I should never have assumed he gun was empty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had an uncle, who should have known better, who picked up my dads bolt-action rifle, racked open the bolt and looked into the chamber - saw that the chamber was emtpy so he slammed the bolt back closed and pulled the trigger. Luckily it was pointed up at the ceiling. He did not realize that the rifle had a magazine and when he closed the bolt it chambered a round.

I worked many, many years ago at a store that sold guns. Had one older woman customer come back in one day with a pistol box. She sat the box down and proceeded to pull out a revolver, which she pointed straight at my stomach - she said "The trigger is too hard to pull, see?", and she pulled the trigger. Luckily it only went "click".

Just tonight, I pulled my pistol out of my CC holster and swept my wife. I did not have my finger inside the trigger guard, but still, I could feel the blood drain from my head. I literally felt faint as I realized I had just broken the cardinal rule. If I had "accidentally" shot her like the cop in the other thread, it would have had to been reported as a "murder/suicide" because I would not have been able to live with myself.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Back around the early 70's I shot Bullseye Pistol competition, in competition you had a table in front of you to lay your pistol on, on the slow fire portion we would usually rest the pistol on the table between shots, I was practicing at a local range which didn't have anything to rest the pistol on between shots, so I let the Colt Series 70 National Match pistol relax at my side, one time there was a loud bang when it was hanging at my side! Apparently I had absent mindedly left my finger on the trigger between shots, that National Match pistol had a pretty light trigger, but the bigger shock was looking at the hole in the ground only about 4" from my foot! That really taught me the lesson that you had to be absolutely positive your finger was off that trigger when it wasn't pointed at the target!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've been thinking about this thread for a bit.

My friend that has the scar was at a range. The guy next to him was showing someone his new action job. When the empty gun went bang into my friend.

Since this thread went up I was looking around the station. Like most older police stations there is a hole in the wall where a round went...

This thread just makes me think about the 4 rules, and I like it

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mine wasn't a 'bad" one at all. When I was just a kid (8-10 yo), my father took me and my older brother to the local public range. We got "the lecture" from my father (former Navy and just plain MEAN guy) about gun safety...then, he showed us what a gun could do to different objects.

That was plenty enough lesson for me...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts