MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I noticed a dent in the beginning of the rifling on my almost brand new m&p9 2.0. The gun is 6 months old, and i shot aprox. 1000 round.
Have you ever seen that kind of damage before? The ammo i used was Igman 124g and Maxtech 115g both FMJ. Pics included

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I don't think that is much to fuss about at this point. After shooting more rounds, I would make it a point to monitor the area for obvious changes. That is more likely from the manufacturing process than damage from use. Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert, nor will I ever be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I don't think that is much to fuss about at this point. After shooting more rounds, I would make it a point to monitor the area for obvious changes. That is more likely from the manufacturing process than damage from use. Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert, nor will I ever be.
Thanks for the reply, i have contacted the seller and now am wating for their answer. I have cleaned the gun every week after the use on the gun range. I always check the barrel after cleaning and yesterday i noticed the dent. It was not there few weeks ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, everything is normal to me.
I gotta be honest. This would bug me too. But if it has no other effect than seeing it when looking for it, I could learn to live with it. If it were at the crown end of the barrel it might harm the pistol's accuracy.

I know it's probably easier to say when it's not me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it is a soft spot from a variation in the heat treatment of the material, you might be able to see further changes with use... if you do, I wouldn't hesitate in acquiring a new barrel. I agree with Tiribulus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is a soft spot from a variation in the heat treatment of the material, you might be able to see further changes with use... if you do, I wouldn't hesitate in acquiring a new barrel. I agree with Tiribulus.
From the look of it, it seems like an uneven deformation and it could truly be a soft spot

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was thinking maybe a tiny bubble caused by an impurity from when the raw material was poured or something. I don't know enough about the production process to know if these barrels start out as forged ingots or what, but I worked on a steel forging crew years ago and have some general experience with metal working. Just stabbing around in the dark.

Actually if they would give you another barrel, I would take it :) However, it just seems to me that if it stayed like that on the chamber end of the barrel, it isn't really hurting anything either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking maybe a tiny bubble caused by an impurity from when the raw material was poured or something. I don't know enough about the production process to know if these barrels start out as forged ingots or what, but I worked on a steel forging crew years ago and have some general experience with metal working. Just stabbing around in the dark.

Actually if they would give you another barrel, I would take it :) However, it just seems to me that if it stayed like that on the chamber end of the barrel, it isn't really hurting anything either.
A new barrel would be the perfect. I think that SW uses stainless steel as raw material, then machine the barrel out of it, and heat threat it.
The last step would be grinding the rifling to the excact measure. Could it be posible that a damaged bullet casing made the dent if the heat threat wasn't good enough?

·
Registered
61 Posts
A new barrel would be the perfect. I think that SW uses stainless steel as raw material, then machine the barrel out of it, and heat threat it.
The last step would be grinding the rifling to the exact measure. Could it be possible that a damaged bullet casing made the dent if the heat threat wasn't good enough?
Right, but there's several steps even before all that. Stainless steels are alloys. There's a whole process from the mine/s to the unworked stock.

Can't hurt to send S&W some pics and ask for a barrel. They may send you one or actually say it isn't hurting anything :) I don't know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, but there's several steps even before all that. Stainless steels are alloys. There's a whole process from the mine/s to the unworked stock.

Can't hurt to send S&W some pics and ask for a barrel. They may send you one or actually say it isn't hurting anything :) I don't know.
What is your oppinion on aftemarket barrels and which would you recommend?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh, I'm not the guy to answer something like that :)

I have passable firearms knowledge overall and a background with a bit of metallurgy in there years ago.

There would be others here far more qualified to tell you about specific aftermarket barrels.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Apex is the best barrel I've used for the M&P, but S&W should replace your stock barrel if it's damaged.

It depends on your shooting skills whether an after market barrel is worth the cost.

Do you shoot competitive, if not could you be top 5 if you did compete?
If not just get another stock barrel and call it good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why not give Smith a chance to fix it for free - warranty repair?
I don`t think that they can repair this kind of damage. They would probably try to polish it out, but that is certainly impossible to do on hardened steel. The dent is to deep for polishing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apex is the best barrel I've used for the M&P, but S&W should replace your stock barrel if it's damaged.

It depends on your shooting skills whether an after market barrel is worth the cost.

Do you shoot competitive, if not could you be top 5 if you did compete?
If not just get another stock barrel and call it good.
I would be satisfied with a new stock barrel. If SW declines my warranty claim, then i would prefer an aftermarket barrel.
I`m shooting IDPA and IPSC competitive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I will put my 2 cents in… the location of the dent looks to be at the start of the land and grooves. On the “flat” spot of the land and not creating an edge. When you are cleaning is there a layer of copper fowling sitting in there?. If not, the bullet is able to squeeze by without it effecting the ballistics. It doesn’t look big enough to allow gas to escape around the projectile reducing muzzle velocity. The more you shoot the less you will see it.
I would not say the pour on the material is bad because it is smooth. If any material was lost it would not look uniformed. This would most likely be a tool mark from when S&W machined the barrel. Given the location, close the the chamber, there should be enough material there to safely fire. Should being the key word as I only have a couple of pictures and no measurements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts