MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received our M&P's a couple of weeks ago. Still lined up in my office until duty holsters get on the market. I sent one of my officers to Firearms Instructors school and had him use the Blackhawk Serpa holster for the class. We are waiting for Safariland to come out with the .45 version so we can have the light/laser dedicated to the weapon and carried in the holster.

As for the weapon it had over 500 rounds without a malfunction. It was the talk of the class and all that shot it thought it was the lightest recoiling .45 they had handled. My officer also has the XD Tactical .45 and when comparing the two the M&P wins hands down in his opinion. He states he didn't get the top gun award, but it was because of pilot error, not the weapon
. We are all excited to get out and shoot the weapon but I have decided to wait for the holster so the transition can be done properly from square one.

I think S&W has another winner in this project.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have eleven weapons. Obviously a very small department, but to the credit of S&W we were treated like a department that was purchasing hundreds of weapons.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm glad to see some LE sales for the M&P's, what is your current duty weapon? Why the switch? Lastly what will be the carry load?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Payne said:
We have eleven weapons. Obviously a very small department, but to the credit of S&W we were treated like a department that was purchasing hundreds of weapons.

I have to agree with you, S&W treated us great also and we are a small agency of 13, they continue to assist with after the sale issues also. What did safariland give you for a turn around time? it took over 3 weeks for us to get 13 holsters for our 40's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, new guy here. I just purchased my first 45 ACP and went with the new M&P. Up until now, I've just shot 9mm. I'm curious what loads you'll use with the M&P45. In the 9mm round, I've been using Federal's HST and have had no feed issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
choochboost, I see Streicher's has some HST +P in stock. Maybe give those a try.

With the 9mm I've avoided +P due to the size of the round and possible over penetration issues. Any related thoughts on standard pressure vs. +P in the 45 round?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Overpenetration, as a single issue, is not as much of a safety concern for me as it is for others. I recently posted this:

We have to put things into perspective when weighing concerns of overpenetration. What it's really about is a fear of bullets going beyond the intended target to where they may endanger innocents. There are other contributing factors such as missed shots, and poor performing rounds that we can consider.

Which do you think is more likely to happen? Rounds overpenetrating or completely missing the target? In a real-life SD situation, you are more likely to miss your target, and those rounds would pose more of a danger than overpenetrating rounds. This reminds us of the importance of shot placement and overshadows the fears of overpenetration.

Rounds can overpenetrate when they hit a less significant part of the body such as an arm or graze the torso. So that brings shot placement back into the discussion. Almost any JHP will overpenetrate in this scenario. The only way to avoid "overpenetration" in this case is to use loads like Glasers which are completely useless anyway.

Poor performing JHP rounds may also overpenetrate because they fail to expand. This is another reason why wise ammo selection is important. A JHP is designed to expand and create more drag among other things and is less likely to pop out the other side.

So all things considered, good shot placement and careful ammo selection minimize the potential danger of rounds moving beyond their intended target.
FWIW, the 230gr HST loads are known to reliably expand. So I don't know if that answers your question, but using +P is not a point of concern for me.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, makes total sense. Stepping back and thinking about some more, I agree that a 'possible' over penetration issue is rather moot in the grand scheme of things. Especially, when the most important thing is getting the shot on target in a stressful SD situation. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been away for a while.

We switched from the Beretta 92D Centurian 9mm. A great gun that has posed no problems for us at all. Over 11 years old now and just need to be updated. We tested 9mm (I have no problems with a 9mm weapon as long as you use good ammo.), .40 S&W, and .45 acp. We tested Glock, XD, Sig, and S&W. Of them all the .45 M&P won out.

We are using the Fed 230 grn. HST for duty.

The holsters from Safariland will take a bit because we are getting the one that allows for a dedicated light on the weapon.

Payne

·
Registered
49 Posts
Payne, our Dept. in Mi. received 95 M&P 40's back in Dec. for a change over. We had to wait for the Safariland holster to come in also. The Dept. issued each of us the weapons first and let us go out and use them until they set of a date to qualify. In January, we all qualified at the range, thank god is was a nice day here in JAn. But by letting us shoot them prior to carring on duty we were able to practice with them and that was nice. Just a thought for you. You might be carring by now, if so disregard.

We are all very pleased with the M&P 40's. We have had no problems at all. Only the mag rattle. Plus I bought my own M&P 45 a month ago, for personal use.

rogero Mi/LEO/LCSD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts