MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything out there outlining a detailed strip of the upper and lower of the M&P? I used Dan's trigger job page to work on the lower but it doesn't show how to take the entire trigger out.

I ask because as I was cleaning my pistol tonight I noticed that the trigger spring has what looks like cotton stuffed in it. I use Q-tips in the hard-to-reach areas but was pretty confident that I couldn't have possibly stuffed that much cotton in it. It looks full.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
937 Posts
No, you're not imagining it, that is something that is supposed to be there. I actually think it's some kind of foam. I have no positive idea on it's purpose, but it could be for lubrication, for dampening the spring after the sear releases, or for catching crud (like it seems to do).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL - thanks for the reassurance. I can't imagine why it's there but I'll leave it for now then. I had been running a Q-tip by that area and thought that I had some how left a bunch of cotton in the spring.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you do a complete tear-down of the gun sometime and remove the trigger spring, just pop that foam out of there and rub it between your fingers in some cloth. That will clean it up some.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's supposed to be there, and it's needed.

If it goes missing, S&W says replace it and the spring.

Similar set up in the Sigma. When those plugs go missing, and the gun is shot, spring eventually breaks. May take a few thousand rounds, but it breaks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does anybody have an M&P Armorer's manual? I haven't seen any on the Net, as of yet. I've been an unofficial Glock Armorer for a few years now without ever attending the school. I would like to achieve the same with my M&P. Anybody?

·
Registered
937 Posts
That's interesting about the harmonics killing the spring. ON the Sigma I could see it because of the massive amount of tension that spring is under when the sear breaks, but the M&P has a much lighter spring. Hmm...oh well. Smith knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would counsel against a detail strip of the M&P without attending an armorer's school. I just completed a course on the M&P a couple of weeks ago, I've also been an armorer on 3rd Gen pistols for years. The M&P is not a particularly difficult pistol to work on, and I find the design and engineering to be very impressive. Like most pistols, however, there are a couple of things you need to know in order to avoid breaking or loosing parts in the detailed disassembly/reassembly. Also, knowing things like not removing the dampener from the trigger spring helps keep you from doing things that will cause problems later. This is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of things. You should be able to keep your M&P running fine with just the typical field strip & cleaning procedure you would use with any other pistol. If it requires more than that, contact S&W or someone who was trained by them as an armorer.

HRF

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have a service manual for my John Deere 3320. It shows everything one could want to do to it. I like knowing how, even if I don't pull the Hydrostatics apart! Got anything we can use? It sure would be appreciated by those of us who feel that knowledge is a "good" thing!!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I don't have a problem detail stripping the M&P.

And I have not attended an "armorer's course" either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Does anybody have an M&P Armorer's manual? I haven't seen any on the Net, as of yet. I've been an unofficial Glock Armorer for a few years now without ever attending the school. I would like to achieve the same with my M&P. Anybody?

Sorry, from the book:

This manual contains privileged information. It is limited to instructions for field maintenance and repair of Smith & Wesson pistols, and is to be used only by fully trained armorers. The use of this material herein is restricted to those individuals who have satisfactorily completed the S&W Armorer's course and who have maintained certification through required updates. Individuals who have not completed this Smith & Wesson factory training must refrain from using this manual. Any misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the contents can cause damage to the pistol and serious injury to any person who is using or is near the weapon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I posted the file from Brownells so I didn't have to scan it from the book.

It is originally from page 15 in the M&P series armourer's manual.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I don't have a problem detail stripping the M&P.

And I have not attended an "armorer's course" either.

+1, i just took a good mental picture, and went at it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts