MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we get some detailed pics of the internals of the slide and frame, just for comparo purposes?

Anyone?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got to shoot it for the first time on Saturday. Probably one of the first ones in California.

Next to my Glock 36 and Beretta 92FS

This is funny. Notice the round indicators on the mag!!! LOLOLOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those mags do look sorta crappy...I had heard some other posters describe them, but had yet to see them. Why aren't they nice blued ones with good welds like the 9/40's?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Got mine today! Here are some pics that I think you were looking for....

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Nice, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also tried the 45 in some of the holster I have for my M&P40....

It fits perfectly in my Tucker "The Answer" IWB rig, and feels no bigger than the 40 when carried in it.

It WILL NOT fit the Safariland model 6280 w/light attached that I have for my duty holster. The Safariland model 6351 (ALS) that I have, may work with a little modification to the holster, but not "as is".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great Pictures.

Does anyone else here get the idea that the 45 was planned from the very beginning and they have just now got around to it.

Look at the mag well the side toward the rear of the grip. Looks like they just made the area for the mag bigger. Real good forward thinking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
rotorblade said:
Great Pictures.

Does anyone else here get the idea that the 45 was planned from the very beginning and they have just now got around to it.

Look at the mag well the side toward the rear of the grip. Looks like they just made the area for the mag bigger. Real good forward thinking.

I can't tell if it's for that particular reason... or just because they could make it thinner..because of where that lanyard loop is??...

Speaking of which, I notice the .40 pictured does not have one..or at least I can't see it from those photos..

Question: Does this lend any credence to the theory that the M&P in .45 was originally designed for the JCP project?

I've heard it discussed here, but have not heard or seen any hard evidence that it was... :?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's some more pics. I just picked my pistol up this Friday and I'm very unimpressed with the finish. I'm going to send this info along the S&W, though I'm doubtful anything will come of it. The first and most obvious thing was the finish on the extractor, it is just wretched. Next was that crappy mag finish. A quick swipe with some BreakFree ended with a rusty patch. I've included a pic with a one of my 40c mags for comparison. Also obvious was the finish on the sights. It's far enough off from the slide as to almost be two tone with shiny black slide and matte dark gray sights. The feed ramp and general chamber area had very little black coating on it, it is pretty much an erratic tiger stripe effect. The frame itself is a tri-color deal. It's subtle at first and may not show too well in the pictures but you can see it in person, especially when in sunlight. Hopefully this isn't a bad batch of polymer and was just caused by some type of dye separation. On the functioning end I liked the trigger pull better than my 40c, much smoother without tons of dry fire. The downside of this is that there is no tactile click upon trigger reset. I've also noted that the mag release with an empty mag is very difficult to operate. Even using my support had it was nearly impossible to depress the mag release unless I used both thumb and forefinger to pull down on both mag releases. Hopefully this will clear up with a little wear of the recoil and mag springs along with the slide stop lever. I know this is a service pistol but this lack of attention to detail worries me. These are only the things I can see, what's going on behind the scenes that may effect the function at some point. I only had a chance to put 50 rounds through it this weekend and I had one failure to feed. It was the last round of the mag and from what I could see it appeared that the front of the case caught on the face of the chamber. The ammo was 230gr FMJ Blazer Brass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This business is a gas station that is also a discount gun and tackle store. There are no guns on display and the lighting isn't the best. Basically my dealer has some firearms in the back but he'll pretty much order whatever you need and you'll get a good price. I was actually in the store when the UPS man made his delivery. I'd been asking about the M&P45 for a while and my dealer said he had two coming in. Only one showed up and I opened up the box, installed the small grip, and did some dry firing. I've been searching for a 45 (preferably non-1911) that would fit my hands and so far this was one of the best fits for me. That alone pretty much sold me on it. I thought the trigger was pretty decent compared to my 40c out of the box, and the only thing I noticed right away was the dull mags. It wasn't until I took it home and did an initial cleaning that I noticed the extractor, feed ramp, and sights. Unfortunately I did not do a thorough inspection at the shop because I knew it was a brand new gun straight from the factory. The pistol works, but I'm a little leery that this made it through QC. Hopefully S&W will take care of everything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see...

I was just asking because I wasn't sure if this might have been a demo model or not..

I can't blame you for being concerned.

that extractor doesn't look quite right, as you say.

Hope S&W takes care of it, for you.

this also make me wonder about mine, because I did not look at it too closely...

I'll be picking it up next Friday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hopefully you'll be fine. The born on date for my 45 was April 17th, so I don't think there was much time for anybody along the distribution path to use it as a demo. Looking closely at the pictures in the first and second pictures in the beginning of the thread you can see the same pattern of frame discoloration. The color differences may have more to do with the mold they are made in then anything else. The 40c I have has a very fine texture everywhere whereas the 45 texture seems smoother overall, with some areas having no texture/grain to speak of. I'll let you know what S&W's response is.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts