MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to perfect the thumbs-forward grip I'm still frustrated with the fact that the grip varies in comfort from day to day. Given that, how do you tell that a gun fits your hand properly, aside from "well this feels good"? My G19 with a Hogue feels fantastic in my hand but it makes the grip too big for thumbs-forward.

I have probably average hands with skinny fingers. I find however that the largest backstrap on my M&P fills out my hand comfortably, whereas the medium and smalls feel too skinny.

To me the gun fits my hand properly. I have no issue reaching the trigger and my strong hand fingers wrap around the grip enough to form a solid, one-handed grip. Oddly enough though I like my Hogue on my G19 even more, and it's a fat beast. Too fat though for thumbs-forward as it causes my strong-hand fingers to get in the way of my support hand, which lacks the length in fingers to wrap around properly.

Just curious to hear how others determine the proper fit for their hands...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I seen that last picture in the post office
:wink:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use to use the large backstrap until I added the hogue and had to switch to the small. For me that ened up being the most comfortable combo. It has improved my target shooting as well.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I use a thumbs forward grip and I have long fingers, so I always go with the large backstrap. The hogue grip is no stranger to my pistols although I don't have one on every one. I generally prefer larger grips as I prefer the heel of my support hand to have good contact with the frame itself versus having it sit on top of my strong hand fingers that have wrapped around.

If you're just trying to determine what backstrap to use, or whether or not to use one of them along with the hogue grip, I would say that whatever combo allows you to get a good grip while keeping your trigger finger positioned well and the bore in line with your forearm is the way to go.

Being able to lock in your hands against the frame may make up for less than ideal hand/finger position. Depending on your hand size, sometimes we have to improvise. The key is to have good contact with the frame in order to shoot well. A stipple job or using AGrip may be the answer, or maybe even the pachmayr grip since it does not have palm swells.

·
Registered
154 Posts
oooh, shiny.

Mrgrinch233 said:
I use to use the large backstrap until I added the hogue and had to switch to the small. For me that ened up being the most comfortable combo. It has improved my target shooting as well.

hey, thats pretty - I like the two-toned look. is there a thread around here about how you got your slide to look like that?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback so far.

The Hogue on my G19 is hands down the best fit to my hand for a one-handed grip. Prior to putting it back on I had grip-tape all up the support side, which I found to be a necessity. The Glock's square profile made it a not-so ideal fit to my hand for one-handed shooting though. With the Hogue I don't need any additional tape for the thumbs-forward grip, but I find that the extra girth of the Hogue makes it a little more difficult to wrap my support hand fingers around while keeping good thumb-meat contact against the grip. As a result, I'm still in the process of playing around with the position of my support hand to see if I can find an acceptable position.

My M&P by contrast is a fairly natural fit for a thumbs-forward grip, which is why I bought it. The large backstrap gives me a little more room on the support side for my support hand. What's not shown in the pictures is a piece of grip tape that I've put above the backstrap, where the meaty part of my support hand thumb goes.

Up until this point I haven't modified the gun at all because I hadn't decided if I was going to sell it or not (due to the mag-drop issues). I'm considering working through the issues I've had to see if I can get the gun working. If so, I'll probably stipple the backstrap for added grip. I'm wondering if that becomes the final piece to making the gun an ideal fit into my hand for both one-handed and two-handed shooting.

Keep the replies coming - would enjoy learning what I can.

101Combat Vet said:
I seen that last picture in the post office
:wink:

akr said:
Please take that smiley face off so I can see your face.

ATF agent

That's my EHarmony picture. I'm 5'10" and an athletic 190lbs. I have deep, dark eyes (as you can see) and I like long walks on the beach...

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's my EHarmony picture. I'm 5'10" and an athletic 190lbs. I have deep, dark eyes (as you can see) and I like long walks on the beach... Laughing

off topic, i know, but FYI i am friends with a couple who met on eHarmony. I was in their wedding this past spring. They are like complete opposites (he's a PHD in inorganic chemistry and she's a music teacher) but they are somehow perfect together. weirdest thing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well you may have seen this.. but

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363

Todd gives a nice little lecture on the grip..

Mouse.

PS: Generally I go with what's most comfortable.. and also with how i'm able to reach the trigger and the safties if they are involved.. CZ pistols shoot great, but they feel lousy in my hand, same thing with Sigs, and H&K's.. 1911's great, Browning hp's, great.. M&P actually small or med with houge grip with palm swell great.. Glocks with hogue grip awesome..

to me.. your grip looks pretty good..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: well you may have seen this.. but

Mousekiller said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363

Todd gives a nice little lecture on the grip..

Mouse.

Yeah, I've probably watched that video a dozen times. Honestly, 1911 style pistols with left-handed safties feel great in my hands with a thumbs-forward grip. I can see why they're so popular in competition shooting. What I have yet to find though is a video describing how to choose the proper gun to fit your hands for a thumbs-forward grip. It would be interesting to hear an advanced shooter describe how the proper gun should fit, with respect to your support hand, strong hand, etc, etc. Too small of a grip prevents me from getting any support hand contact on the grip. Too large or too round of a grip (like my Hogue on my G19) causes my strong hand fingers to stab into my support hand palm.

I forgot how much of a difference grip tape makes, though. After putting it back on my M&P the thumbs-forward grip tends to feel better again because it's locking my support hand in place. I'm really curious to see how it's going to feel with a stippled backstrap, which should lock both hands into place. I think I'm going to work my large backstrap over the next time I can get a hold of my father-in-law's soldering iron.

Unless of course someone has an unused, stippled backstrap laying around that they want to send me to try out?? :oops:

·
Registered
115 Posts
hmm

Looked around some, could not find anything that describes how a handun grip should "fit" your hand... Most say 'Most comfortable" etc..

Shotgun fitting.. tons..

Most of the video i saw basically showed "how" to grip the pistol not how to determine which is best for your hand size..

Mouse.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went and put a 100 rounds through my G19 with the Hogue back on it and I was still able to use an effective thumbs-forward grip. It felt pretty good...not as good as the M&P but still pretty good. I find that I have to clamp down with my support hand a little firmer than I did when I used only grip-tape but it wasn't a problem. The real test will happen the next time I can get out to my in-law's property and blast away faster than the silly 3-seconds-between-shots pace allowed by the local range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts