MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are all current Tupperware Smith users otherwise we wouldn’t be here, but did any of you guys start off or still shooting the fine made metal Smiths before they got to this series?
Me being kind of a fan and old school throwback started with the metal Smith 39 from my father. I evolved into also having a 59 and a third gen 6904. Along with a Tupperware sd9. I still enjoy all my old metal guns from the days of yor and shoot them every month along side my m&p.

What say you other fine ladies and gentlemen?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I started with S&W revolvers. My first Model 19 cost $175 Police Officer price. My first semi-auto that wasn’t a 1911 was a Model 39. I was in Illinois and they were issued to Illinois State Police, so they were all over the place. I didn’t care for Glock and didn’t get into Tupperware guns until the M&P line. Now I have a Full Size 40, 9mm C.O.R.E 9L range gun, M&P40C, M&P40 M2.0 Compact 4”, 40 Shield, M&P15-T, M&P15-22. All I’m missing is a M&P-22 and a M&P-10 because they haven’t made what I want yet; but I bet they will someday.

I have been actively looking for a Model 39, but so far either they have been in too poor shape or the price was too high, or they were in the wrong state. Not much else in those guns I want.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I started with S&W revolvers. My first Model 19 cost $175 Police Officer price. My first semi-auto that wasn’t a 1911 was a Model 39. I was in Illinois and they were issued to Illinois State Police, so they were all over the place. I didn’t care for Glock and didn’t get into Tupperware guns until the M&P line. Now I have a Full Size 40, 9mm C.O.R.E 9L range gun, M&P40C, M&P40 M2.0 Compact 4”, 40 Shield, M&P15-T, M&P15-22. All I’m missing is a M&P-22 and a M&P-10 because they haven’t made what I want yet; but I bet they will someday.

I have been actively looking for a Model 39, but so far either they have been in too poor shape or the price was too high, or they were in the wrong state. Not much else in those guns I want.
Me either. I owned five glocks all told, and could always pick up any 1911 and shoot it way better.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My first 2 S&W's I bought in the early 90's on the same day, a 686-4 and a 3913 they are both still in the safe. I have a couple other 3rd gen guns but sold the other older revolvers and regret doing so now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Started with a 39. Had or still do have a 59, 639, 5906, 4006, 645, 4506, 5924, 1006, 1076, and I'm sure I forgotten a few. IF S&W will ever make a M&P 10mm I can put the 1006 in a place of honor in the safe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s an impressive collection of Smith history. I still enjoy mine every month. There’s something about shooting all metal guns. Maybe that’s why all the high end target guns are steel. That would be like an m&p steel like the q5 sf. We’ve already been there an us old school guys grew up that way. But I’m thankful for polymer for carry. Never been so easy. I remember carrying my 39. A shield has same capacity and so easy to carry.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That’s an impressive collection of Smith history. I still enjoy mine every month. There’s something about shooting all metal guns. Maybe that’s why all the high end target guns are steel. That would be like an m&p steel like the q5 sf. We’ve already been there an us old school guys grew up that way. But I’m thankful for polymer for carry. Never been so easy. I remember carrying my 39. A shield has same capacity and so easy to carry.

Only shield I have left in a 45. Someone wanted my 40 more than I did. it has been replaced with a 40c. I prefer the 9c and 40c over the shield for one reason. They can take the mags from the full size in a pinch.

I do still carry the 39 on special occasions. I'm hoping to find a replacement 59 but the ones I do find are beat up and over priced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first pistol in 1973, I turned 21, was a Model 30. Still have it and shoot it. Rebuilt the springs twice through out. The safety broke, replaced it. I now just shoot lower power reloads thru it. No sense in beating it up any more than I have. I'd say it has had over 23K rounds thru its life to this point, I change out the recoil spring every 2K. Have a whole box of 'used' springs, probably good, but cheap ins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got a M39 when I turned 21 in 1973, still have it and shoot it. Alos have a M13-2 357 I bought in 1974, Both good guns and still shoot the crap out of them.

·
Site Staff
9,589 Posts
My first center fire handgun was a Model 15 revolver my Grandfather bought me, we were in the 'big city' when he suggested we drop by an early version of a 'discount store' and look at guns, surprised the hell out of me. We got to the gun counter and were looking around and he asked me if I would like to have one, I was almost speechless when he said that, we picked out the Model 15 38 revolver and he bought it for me, a brand new S&W, he said your birthday is a few months away and you could call it an early birthday present! Back then the new price was about $45 plus tax, and the old Smiths were beautifully finished, the finish was really exceptional back then. I can't remember how old I was at the time, maybe 16 or 17, I've still got that gun, after all my Grandpa bought it for me.

That was followed over the years with many S&W revolvers and more S&W autoloaders, my first plastic pistol was a Ruger LCP in 380, my first M&P was the next one, followed by more M&P's and some other plastic pistols, a Sig P320/M17 and a P80 clone kit. I could never imagine a plastic pistol years ago, it seemed impossible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in the mid-'70s, my first duty weapon was a Model 39, bought from another officer. I eventually sold it & carried a 4" Model 29, but bought another 39, which I still own, from another officer. I've also owned & carried a 4" Model 66 which I later sold, a 2" Model 60 which I still own, & a .45 Shield which is my EDC.

·
Registered
402 Posts
MK I .22 when I was 13 so I don't know if that counts.
Springfield Armory 1911, then a Colt custom built 1911.
Beretta 92 inox and then a Beretta 84FS Cheetah.
First Polymer S&W Sigma FS.
It gets pretty crazy after that.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
MK I .22 when I was 13 so I don't know if that counts.
Springfield Armory 1911, then a Colt custom built 1911.
Beretta 92 inox and then a Beretta 84FS Cheetah.
First Polymer S&W Sigma FS.
It gets pretty crazy after that.
1911’s are truly a cut above. Those that don’t think so just haven’t run across the “right one” yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 1st S&W autos were a 659, most inaccurate pistol I ever owned. A 439 that was the best looking but would choke on anything that wasn't ball ammo, and a 645 that was probably the best built 45 I'd ever owned.

Since then I've had an M&P full size 45 and a 9L CORE, both good guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carried a 1911 when I was stationed in Korea in 90-91. Unfortunately in wasn’t a S&W! The first Smith I got any time with was my dads 5906. It set around from the time he bought it until I moved home in 97. It probably didn’t have 50rounds threw it. It took forever to get the thing broke apart to clean it. It is kept much nicer now. I have 3 polymers and one rifle; so far. There will be more Smiths in my safe eventually! Why buy a 64 gun safe when you only own 10 weapons; except to buy more!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m a fan of the first and second generation smith semi autos due to the variety of grip choices. That’s one of my few rubs with modern polymer pistols. Not a lot of option on grips. I am a big fan of old pachmayr grips and love some nice wood on some of mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts