MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked her up this morning (hope nobody was looking for me at work) and went right from the shop to the range. I never bothered to clean the barrel but did apply a liberal amount of Break Free Semi-Automatic lube (different than Break Free CLP) to the rails, outside barrel, barrel lugs, etc. Firing virtually as fast as I could, I put 200 rounds (100 of each) of Blazer Brass and WW White Box through the gun. At times, the barrel was so hot, I didn't dare touch it (I figured either this gun is going to be held to the same reliability standards as my Glocks and XDs or it isn't - no coddling this sucker, sink or swim M&Pc.

The result? 200 rounds without one single failure. No mags dropping out, no slides locking on the last round, no weak mag catch (so far anyway), just flawless performance. And even after only 200 rounds, I noticed a slight smoothing of the trigger. Yeah, out of the box it's heavy and a far cry from the Burwell trigger on my 9c but plenty acceptable for defense. I may just leave it alone for now.

Serial number for those interested is: MPN xxxx.

I am very happy especially after experiencing multiple, albeit now corrected problems with my 9c.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Perfection?

That's great news, not to rain on your parade, but the issues in mine didn't begin happening until round 500-600. But don't despair, a little work here and there and all is well. My serial# is MPN 31XX. I love my M&P's, and will continue to use and abuse them to the day I die... So to answer your question, did you get the perfect M&P40c, I certainly hope so...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Perfection?

Morgan Walker said:
That's great news, not to rain on your parade, but the issues in mine didn't begin happening until round 500-600. But don't despair, a little work here and there and all is well. My serial# is MPN 31XX. I love my M&P's, and will continue to use and abuse them to the day I die... So to answer your question, did you get the perfect M&P40c, I certainly hope so...

Yep, time will tell. But so far, things are looking good.
I'm an MPN 37xx to be more exact.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Kraigster,

That sounds great, I hope it keeps running that way for you.

I have a question for you since you now have both the 9c and 40c. Do you find the 40c significantly more difficult to shoot/control than the 9c?

I have the 9 full size and am going to be getting a compact and I am trying to decide which one to get.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
L.C. Star said:
Kraigster,

That sounds great, I hope it keeps running that way for you.

I have a question for you since you now have both the 9c and 40c. Do you find the 40c significantly more difficult to shoot/control than the 9c?

I have the 9 full size and am going to be getting a compact and I am trying to decide which one to get.

I am glad to asked because I meant to comment on that in my opening. Others here have said that the amount of felt recoil between the M&Pc 40 and the M&Pc 9 is not that dramatic. I do not agree. I felt significantly more recoil with the 40 though not as much as between my Glock 23 and my M&Pc 9. For those who are somewhat recoil-sensitive, my vote goes to the M&Pc 9. Loaded with the right ammo, the 9 is a formidable weapon/caliber. And yes to the ability to get back on target faster - all things being equal. I would never discount the 9mm for carry or home defense.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you guys want I can keep a running tally on my progress and post updates in this thread. Round II is scheduled for this weekend - another 200 rounds. That will bring me to the 400 rounds point. After that, I am reaching the stage where some have started experiencing problems. It will be interesting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 40Compact, MPN<1000 is at 360 rounds and so far no malfs. The mag catch is stamped with a small "2". I'll put in another 100 rounds next week. I use a snap cap (Azoom style) when dry firing. I put some night sights on it and would like to start carrying it as soon as I'm confident it won't malf on me.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YukonGlocker said:
Sounds good. I hope she runs good for you.

Thanks Yuk. OK. Ready for Round II (5/26/07)? 'Just back from the range (good thing I paid for an annual membership and the place is only 10 minutes away)...

Prior to today's outing, my M&Pc 40 (purchased yesterday/fired yesterday) had 200 flawless rounds (WW White Box and Blazer Brass) through it. Today, I fired another 200 rounds (same ammo) and I am happy to report for the second time that there were zero failures.

This brings the total number of up-till-now flawless rounds through S/N MPN3xxx to 400.

We are getting close to that potential danger zone so stay tuned.

Oh yeah, for what it's worth, Round I relied on "BreakFree for Rapid Fire Automatics (RFA)" for lubing the slide rails, exterior barrel, misc. contact points and barrel lugs. This is different stuff than BreakFree CLP. RFA is a lube and preservative only, not a cleaner. Round II (today) relied on Militec-1 for lubrication. Guys and gals, there is virtually no difference between any of these potions. They all work well. If you are having failures of one kind or another, odds are it has nothing to do with your choice of oil. Round III will use Shooters Choice FP-10. Round IV? I think I will go with Wilson's Ultra Lube.

So far, I am very happy with this gun. But time will tell.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
politegunner said:
My 40Compact, MPN<1000 is at 360 rounds and so far no malfs. The mag catch is stamped with a small "2". I'll put in another 100 rounds next week. I use a snap cap (Azoom style) when dry firing. I put some night sights on it and would like to start carrying it as soon as I'm confident it won't malf on me.

I have a number 1 stamped on mine. When I was having a problem with the mag catch in my 9c, it was a #2 catch. When I sent it in to S&W, they replaced it with a #1. I now have #1's in both guns.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jagman said:
[quote name='Kraigster414']Ok, I have noticed my first minor. The pin under the take down lever has "walked" a bit from the recoil requiring a little tap tap with my pin punch and hammer. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4790

The roll pin on all of my MP's has walked a bit requiring a tap back. What do you think the long term fix would be?[/quote]

That's the question I have. I am calling S&W tomorrow requesting a new pin (it's the locking block coil pin by the way) but if all the pins are the same specs, I fail to see how it will cure the problem. I'll certainly ask. Maybe they have some oversize pins though I doubt it - I considered applying some silicon sealant to the pin but have not done so - I'll wait to hear from S&W.. I would venture to say that if you shoot 200 rounds through the 40c at one sitting, you may experience pin movement as well. Although minor, these things are irritating and should not happen.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
02 June 07

Another 150 rounds through my gun today bringing the total to 550 total rounds. Once again, no failures but I am still experiencing walking of the locking block coil pin. It is a brand new pin (the original did exactly the same thing). It seems to move this far and no more. I really don't want to send my gun back to S&W for this so any tips would be appreciated. Photo of restless pin at (scroll down):

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=41986#41986

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
03 June 07:

Another 150 rounds today bringing the total to 700 rounds (PMC and Win White Box 165 gr. FMJ). Still not one failure other than the locking block pin continuing to walk a bit and then stop. The problem is where it stops is too far out for me and I remain concerned that it could cause a snag on my clothes or holster. (I tried a drop of Blue Loctite on the ends of the pin just to see if it would make any difference. It did not.)

I should also add that my stock trigger is smoothing out nice. I clocked it today and the break has been reduced by a 1/4 +/- pound. 'Now down to 5 1/2 - 5 3/4 pounds. I can live with that and it's very smooth.

But if I can't solve the walking pin problem, the gun is going back to S&W for a second time. I sure hope my frame hole is not out of spec. I've now tried 3 different pins.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
04 June 07

Another 200 rounds today bringing the total to 900. No failures but even with a drop of stick (Red) Loctite to the locking block coil pin, it still moved though not nearly as much as it did with blue Loctite applied. Sorry, not good enough. It's time for a trip back to S&W. I've tried 3 different pins all with the restless walk syndrome.

My 1,000 round test will have to be put on hold for a while. Will my 40c make it without further incident? Stay tuned.
Other than the walking pin issue, it has been flawless so far.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kraigster414 said:
[quote name='politegunner']My 40Compact, MPN<1000 is at 360 rounds and so far no malfs. The mag catch is stamped with a small "2". I'll put in another 100 rounds next week. I use a snap cap (Azoom style) when dry firing. I put some night sights on it and would like to start carrying it as soon as I'm confident it won't malf on me.

I have a number 1 stamped on mine. When I was having a problem with the mag catch in my 9c, it was a #2 catch. When I sent it in to S&W, they replaced it with a #1. I now have #1's in both guns.[/quote]

What was the difference between # 1 & 2?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sigman said:
[quote name='Kraigster414'][quote name='politegunner']My 40Compact, MPN<1000 is at 360 rounds and so far no malfs. The mag catch is stamped with a small "2". I'll put in another 100 rounds next week. I use a snap cap (Azoom style) when dry firing. I put some night sights on it and would like to start carrying it as soon as I'm confident it won't malf on me.

I have a number 1 stamped on mine. When I was having a problem with the mag catch in my 9c, it was a #2 catch. When I sent it in to S&W, they replaced it with a #1. I now have #1's in both guns.[/quote]

What was the difference between # 1 & 2?[/quote]

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe if the part was out I could examine it closely and let you know. Installed, I can't see squat. All I know is that both #1s so far are working fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts