MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And while I am no Mr. Burwell, I think it turned out looking pretty decent.

I got the idea from this thread: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

I liked the look of the Sig Equinox/Kimber Eclipse style of slide finish. Plus getting rid of the ugly golden disclaimer from the right side of the slide is another nice benefit.

All in all, it took about 5 hours of total time. For a while I was thinking of getting the slide media blasted. But once I came across the link above, I figured I would try that myself. And if I screwed it up, I could just get the media blast as a back-up. Just glad it turned out looking decent.

Thanks.

The Guinea

·
Registered
910 Posts
Why did it take 5 hours?! Don't get me wrong it looks great. Were you just being extra careful? Or is it just a pain to sand it down?

Me and Dan discussed doing this to my M&P45 a couple days ago, but we agreed it would look like crap on the 45 due to the front serrations and the way Dan goes about doing it. Instead we're going with a little polished hard chrome. :wink: I might still try it myself, but on a different gun. WOuld look goofy as hell on my 45 after the work gets done.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
josh said:
Why did it take 5 hours?! Don't get me wrong it looks great. Were you just being extra careful? Or is it just a pain to sand it down?

Both.

The etched disclaimer was the worst part. Its etched quite deep.

The Guinea

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jtaliani said:
That turned out very nice!
What grit sandpaper did you use?

Thanks.

600 grit to do the final step. But to initially remove the finish and get it flat and even, I used a small sanding/honing stone that was in my dremmel tool kit. I would say it falls between 220 and 400 grit. It worked pretty good. Kept everything nice and even. Once the finish was removed and no more pits were visable, I used the 600 to remove most of the lines left by the stone. Then finished it off with fine (not very fine) steel wool.

The Guinea

·
Registered
231 Posts
looks fantastic.. i think i found a project for myself now :twisted: .... what did you do to prep the slide? did you remove the extractor, or strip the slide down? did you do the sanding by hand only? details details!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PPCmaster said:
looks fantastic.. i think i found a project for myself now :twisted: .... what did you do to prep the slide? did you remove the extractor, or strip the slide down? did you do the sanding by hand only? details details!

Just extractor removal. And let me tell you, a total PITA!!! I broke 2 of my good punches trying to get it out. Getting it back in was no picnic either.

And yes, I sanded by hand only. Did not want to chance using a dremmel and slipping of the intened raised area of the slide.

Some seem concerned that it took 5 hours to do. :roll: But shouldn't one agree that its better to do something right than wrong? Not saying my method is the best way. However, by taking my time and not trying to rush to get it done in an hour or two produced nice results.

Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well. Agreed?

The Guinea

·
Registered
937 Posts
Looks good. In the first pic, it looks more grey than stainless. I think it'd look good with the raised portions in a dark grey on a black background, but stainless certainly gets you noticed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FieroCDSP said:
Looks good. In the first pic, it looks more grey than stainless. I think it'd look good with the raised portions in a dark grey on a black background, but stainless certainly gets you noticed.

Thanks.

Yeah, the lighting was poor and my digital camera is a piece of crap. The finish is not overly shiney. Its like a brushed stainless. The pics honestly do not do it justice. Its does look much better in person.

The Guinea

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guinea, What a great contrast, if S&W sees this I'll bet they start doing the same thing.

Here are a few pics of my Performance Center 9 which is similiarly done. great work thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here was mine.

I took a different approach and decided to remove the finish all the way back.

Taking it in and out of the kydex holster started to polish the forward high corners so I decided to do something different to it.

I also did a trigger job.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I see you took some of the serrations down a little; that was a concern when I considered this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It actually helped with the gripping at the back of the slide.

At first I thought not to, but looked at it and then I knew that it would just hit hight spots.

So I tried to make it even on both sides.

My wife and I think it looks better with the highlighted serration tips.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry for revising an old thread but I am very interested in doing this to my MP40 but had a few worries.

The finish on the MP when it is removed does it open up the slide to corrosion and does it corrode very easily. The black finish seems like a protective layer that I am not sure should be removed.

Also does your guys guns still look as good as they did when you first did your modding. I think it makes them look really really good just kind of worried about doing it (not the job part).

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MADMAX22 said:
Also does your guys guns still look as good as they did when you first did your modding. I think it makes them look really really good just kind of worried about doing it (not the job part).

Thanks

Mine still looks the same as the day I did it.

The Guinea

1 - 19 of 19 Posts