MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to YukonGlocker showing me his method, I did a little expansion testing of my own. I used wet newspaper/phone books with a heavy wrangler style canvas shirt over the front. I chronoed as I shot. I was satisfied with all the loads other than the Ranger 155 gr. 40. It lost its jacket and didn't really expand. I think that these "Rangers" are really just reboxed win usa hollowpoints. It is in a Ranger box but it is not the SXT. I've seen them a cabelas for less than $20 / 50. I bet alot of people buy these and think "it says ranger, they must be good." Well they are not.

The round I am continously impressed with is the Federal Tactical 180 gr 40. It expanded more and penetrated deeper than any other 40 cal round.

As far as penetration, all the rounds were within an inch or two of each other.

Chrono Results

shot from a commander length 1911

DPX 185

1097 fps

HST2 standard pressure 230

893 fps

Ranger 230 +P

951 fps

Gold Dot 230

832 fps

shot from a fullsize M&P

hst1 180

999 fps

hst2 165

1124 fps

hst3 155

1185 fps

"ranger" 155

1230 fps

Fed Tac 180

If the picture quality is bad let me know and I'll reshoot it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
People know the Ranger name because of the great reputation that it has. The best performing loads are from the T-Series. The reason why I bring this up is because the 155gr Ranger in your test is not part of the Ranger-T LE line which explains the dismal results. So because the Ranger name makes its way onto some not so great loads, additional info about what Ranger loads those were would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
picture quality is good but even on my wide screen I have to scroll, anychance of a rescale? Nice work btw, I have been wanting to make some gelatin for awhile and do a few test, but I like the wetpack just the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mad..... just click the little tab that says 100% on lower right of the internet explorer screen and rescale it to 50%.

Chooch, I knew it was not the T series the first time I opened the box and saw the bullet. Was just making a point for other folks.

FWIW it is the ra40155hp.

the 45 ranger is the real deal.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Unfortunately firefox doens't have that option. But I got it to work in ie, thanks again for the post, nice work!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I carry the 165HST, thanks for the info/photos. I was wondering what thevelocity was. Know I can use the money that I was going to spend on a Chronograph for something else!

·
Registered
372 Posts
mad212 said:
Unfortunately firefox doens't have that option. But I got it to work in ie, thanks again for the post, nice work!

On the page with the huge image, right click on the picture and choose "view image". It will open up just the picture. Firefox will automatically resize it at that point.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I simply save the pic to my desktop then it can be viewed and sized/rotated and otherwise manipulated by any number of applications.

·
Registered
708 Posts
not working for me, i tried IE and firefox. can someone upload it to imageshack.us or some reliable host?..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
MI_Jester said:
[quote name='mad212']Unfortunately firefox doens't have that option. But I got it to work in ie, thanks again for the post, nice work!

On the page with the huge image, right click on the picture and choose "view image". It will open up just the picture. Firefox will automatically resize it at that point.

MI_Jester[/quote]

thanks for the tip, that worked great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts