MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve been posting so I guess that it’s time to say hello and wow what a great board. It takes a special combination of staff and members to make a board successful and from what I read I’d describe this one as stellar. Anyway a little about me… I’m 51 (yup I’m old) and I’ve been shooting ever since my grandfather started teaching me how to handle a firearm safely and how to shoot with a single shot .22 rifle at the ripe old age of 5 or 6. Pistol lessons followed a few of years later.

I’ve always been a fair rifle shot at best, but in my younger days I was a pretty darn fair trap shooter if I do say so myself. That and the way I was taught pistol shooting probably contributed to my unorthodox pistol style. My early learn’in was on moving targets and so I tend to shoot a pistol a bit better if treat it like I’m shooting trap. Weird I know but it works for me. Draw and fire, or draw and double tap good, slow deliberate fire not so good.

Over the years I’ve added to my collection, and together with what my dad left me it’s not a bad collection of autoloaders, wheelguns, rifles and shotguns, but my eye has always been drawn to 1911s. I’ve been hooked since the 80s. This past year I bought my first DOA, a Kahr PM40, and suddenly realized the DAOs didn’t all suck.
As a result of this little epiphany and a great deal of research I now have an M&P 45 with thumb safety (hey I’m a 1911 guy
) on order. I’m supporting my local gun shop and his S&W order is backordered so my M&P is a month away. Besides it’s 50 miles to a dealer with one in stock and in California that equals 200 miles worth of round trips. I’m so excited that I that can’t hardly stand it. I’m already drooling over the 40c.

Anyway expect a million questions as I start picking out and ordering holsters, spare magazines, and magazine carriers, and ordering Trijicon sights in anticipation of its arrival. As soon as it arrives it’ll be heading off for a trigger job and such and then it’s off to the range.

Anyway except for stating my wish for S&W to produce 10mm version I’ve babbled on long enough. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
late welcome but welcome nonetheless

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Welcome. I only got into shooting last year, but I have a decent collection going. I like the feel of a polymer gun, but I like the intricate workings and styling of the metal ones. Some of the polymers look like they're just cranked out at a huge pace, their lines and smplicity, while reliable, seem to lack soul. I think most would agree that a 1911, any 1911, has a connectability that most polymers don't. The M&P is a polymer that was carefully designed to be simplistic, functional, reliable, and still look good.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Welcome to the site 8)

Sounds like you have a pretty nice collection going, pretty damn cool comeing from your old man too.....Congrats. Oh and your alright in my book considering your a huge fan of 1911's
Pics????

I think your going to fit in just fine around here, thanks for taking the time out to comment on the site, it is truly the best damn site out there!

Enjoy the site and your soon to be MP45 brother.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome aboard from a fellow Californian.

Good deal on supporting your local gun dealer. Sometimes it is hard to do considering the pricing at some of the larger shops.

Enjoy you new M&P45. My son has the 40c and absolutley loves it. I have a 40 and a 9 in fullsize and couldn't be happier with my M&P's.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
L.C. Star said:
Welcome aboard from a fellow Californian.
So where in SoCal? I'm in riverside County.

·
Registered
246 Posts
sholling

I live in North Orange county, but do most of my shooting in Riverside county. I will be shooting an IDPA match at the Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino Hills/Corona tomorrow.

BTW, 51 is not all that old. Add a little more than a dozen years to that and you will catch me.

PS: Was I ever encouraged yesterday. I was in an industrial hardware store to pick up some stainlees steel bolts and when I got to the counter the fellow in front of me was talking to one of the countermen asking about an item for one of his three motorcycles (a 1974 Honda 400?). Turns out the gentleman was 94 years old. The guy behind the counter couldn't believe it (nor could I), but the guy pulled out his drivers license and sure enough.... 94 years old and with a MotorCycle endorsement on his drivers license. I didn't feel so old when I walked out of the store.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
L.C. Star said:
sholling

I live in North Orange county, but do most of my shooting in Riverside county. I will be shooting an IDPA match at the Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino Hills/Corona tomorrow.

BTW, 51 is not all that old. Add a little more than a dozen years to that and you will catch me.

PS: Was I ever encouraged yesterday. I was in an industrial hardware store to pick up some stainlees steel bolts and when I got to the counter the fellow in front of me was talking to one of the countermen asking about an item for one of his three motorcycles (a 1974 Honda 400?). Turns out the gentleman was 94 years old. The guy behind the counter couldn't believe it (nor could I), but the guy pulled out his drivers license and sure enough.... 94 years old and with a MotorCycle endorsement on his drivers license. I didn't feel so old when I walked out of the store.
That's where I hope to take up IDPA in the next month or so. I grew up in Orange County. Born in Hoag Hospital. I finally left OC for the IE about 4 years ago, and I've spent the last year of that in Hemet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts